• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harvey Stack, dead (1928-2022).
1 1

20 posts in this topic

This arrived from Kristen at Stack's-Bowers:

"It is with great sadness we announce the passing of our friend and founder, Harvey G. Stack on January 3, 2022. His leadership over the years spearheaded our operations and his kindness and mentorship to staff, collectors, dealers, numismatic organizations and colleagues will never be forgotten." Read the rest of the message at ---

https://mailchi.mp/60b0acee3d84/remembering-harvey-stack?e=12592e2e6d

Edited by RWB

The numismatic community has sure lost a lot of people in the past couple years.  My condolences to Mr. Stack's loved ones.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, Woods020 said:

I never met the man but I know he had a large impact on our hobby. Makes me think of a George Jones song “Who’s gonna fill their shoes?”

Definitely.  Mr. Stack certainly leaves some big shoes.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:37 PM, Woods020 said:

@RWBI know it’s a typo and I do more than most but the title says 1928-2002 and you meant 2022. 

Thanks! Corrected.

I'll suggest that collector not dig too deeply into the Stack's coin ancestry - there are many things swept under the carpet, along with the good.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:56 PM, RWB said:

Thanks! Corrected.

I'll suggest that collector not dig too deeply into the Stack's coin ancestry - there are many things swept under the carpet, along with the good.

Lots of skeletons in lots of closets in our hobby, it would seem.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:04 PM, MarkFeld said:

I had the good fortune to meet Harvey when I was about 8-10 years old. In other words, it was more than a few years ago.😉 I grew up in Manhattan and my brother and I often visited Stack’s on Saturday mornings.

From the first time I met him, Harvey was incredibly friendly, gracious, helpful and entertaining, making me and my brother feel welcome. It’s still somewhat hard to believe that a person in his position would take the time that he did to chat with us and show us coins. He was truly an ambassador for our hobby.

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family, friends and associates.

What an amazing experience and memory to share, Mark.  That's exactly how we ensure that our hobby stays alive, and Mr. Stack certainly seems to have known that.  Thank you for sharing that with us.  It's an amazing tribute to the man.

On 1/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Rents in that area are nutso. 

That comment pretty much sums of the reason for the move though I don't know that for fact. 

Harvey G. Stack is the coin collecting hobby.  His passing marks the end of a critical era.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, olympicsos said:

May he RIP. I wonder what will happen in this hobby when John Albanese passes? 

Not much. This is primarily a hobby of old guys. They die every day. 

Edited by VKurtB

Well when NGC/PCGS certified isn't good enough that now we have a CAC premium. What happens to coins with CAC beans, do we crack them out. Is there a before and after Albanese price difference on CAC coins? 

Edited by olympicsos

On 4/25/2022 at 12:40 PM, olympicsos said:

May he RIP. I wonder what will happen in this hobby when John Albanese passes? 

Hopefully that is many years away.  And the hobby survives and continues even when we lose great ones.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, olympicsos said:

Well when NGC/PCGS certified isn't good enough that now we have a CAC premium. What happens to coins with CAC beans, do we crack them out. Is there a before and after Albanese price difference on CAC coins? 

There would have to be a difference, wouldn’t there? It’s the inevitable result of deifying one guy. 

On 4/25/2022 at 3:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Hopefully that is many years away.  And the hobby survives and continues even when we lose great ones.

Little will change. The hype and BS will get deeper and the honest people increasingly marginalized.