• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any hope for this coin with hairlines?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, Woods020 said:

You do realize gold melt is $1750 give or take for this coin right. He is telling you that no one will pay a premium above that, and I agree. You can have a slabbed, MS62 example without any problems for $2200 or so. This isn’t a rare coin where the lions share of value is collector value. As with the majority of gold coins the majority of value is in the metal and collector value is minimal until high grades. 

The good news is a problem gold coin still holds a large amount of its value. Many coins of other metals the value is almost exclusively collector value and you would really be screwed. 

I'm a CPA so I don't need much help with math.  You say this isn't a rare coin but you have no idea if it will get the PL designation so your opinion is premature.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:17 PM, Dimeslot said:

I'm a CPA so I don't need much help with math.  You say this isn't a rare coin but you have no idea if it will get the PL designation so your opinion is premature.

No one cares how much you want to brag, and for someone that claims to be educated you sure get triggered easily.  :baiting:

On 2/6/2022 at 10:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

No one cares how much you want to brag, and for someone that claims to be educated you sure get triggered easily.  :baiting: 

I have yet to brag about anything.  Stating my profession (especially such a boring one) is hardly bragging.  I'm flattered that you must resort to lying in order to criticize me.

Reality is a nice place.  You should visit some time.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:17 PM, Dimeslot said:

Ok. You got me. I’m just a dumb state school kid with graduate degrees in economics and statistics. I should never have attempted to try and calm down the situation with adding and subtracting numbers to try and make you feel better. My apologies and I have rightly been put in my place. 

Now will you explain what this PL means you keep talking about? What is the qualifier? How many prooflike coins with details have been graded? I’m learning a lot here. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, Dimeslot said:

I have yet to brag about anything.  Stating my profession (especially such a boring one) is hardly bragging.  I'm flattered that you must resort to lying in order to criticize me.

Just as soon as you my friend :cloud9: I'm a big shot CPA  Yea let the balloons loose.  :roflmao:  See in the adult world we don't have to brag about ourselves to get the point across, you will learn this when you grow up.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/6/2022 at 10:22 PM, Woods020 said:

Ok. You got me. I’m just a dumb state school kid with graduate degrees in economics and statistics. I should never have attempted to try and calm down the situation with adding and subtracting numbers to try and make you feel better. My apologies and I have rightly been put in my place. 

Now will you explain what this PL means you keep talking about? What is the qualifier? How many prooflike coins with details have been graded? I’m learning a lot here. 

You incorrectly assumed that I needed help calculating the melt value of a double eagle.  And then you say you tried to make me feel better by adding and subtracting numbers?  You drunk?

You know they slab proof coins with details grades, right?  It's not my job to educate you so do your own research on the numbers.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

Just as soon as you my friend :cloud9: I'm a big shot CPA  Yea let the balloons loose.  :roflmao:  See in the adult world we don't have to brag about ourselves to get the point across, you will learn this when you grow up.

You are evidently addicted to lying.  I feel really sorry for anyone who thinks a CPA is a big shot.

You continue to flatter me...

On 2/6/2022 at 10:27 PM, Dimeslot said:

You incorrectly assumed that I needed help calculating the melt value of a double eagle.  And then you say you tried to make me feel better by adding and subtracting numbers?  You drunk?

You know they slab proof coins with details grades, right?  It's not my job to educate you so do your own research on the numbers.

No I was actually trying to be helpful. You came to a newbie forum and said you weren’t getting facts, so I gave them to you. I never intended to imply you can’t figure out melt value, or that you were in some way incompetent. I was actually trying to say it’s better to have a gold coin with problems than an expensive silver coin with problems. But shame on me for trying to be helpful and nice. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, Dimeslot said:

You are evidently addicted to lying.  I feel really sorry for anyone who thinks a CPA is a big shot.

Thats ok you continue to show yourself for what you are, I never said a CPA is a big shot, only that you needed to say that to feel important.  Please read and follow along or you will be left behind.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:27 PM, Dimeslot said:

I think I did read that somewhere that proof coins with details can be slabbed. If they won’t I know a guy that can slab them in his moms basement. Looks pretty good too. Just tell him what grade you want it to say on his homemade label. 

My question wasn’t can a proof coin with details be slabbed. My question was can a circulation strike coin get both a proof like designation and be harshly cleaned. By definition they shouldn’t, but I’ll admit I don’t know the answer to that. And I’m not being a smart . I don’t buy or sell many proof like coins cleaned with a garden rake. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:30 PM, Woods020 said:

No I was actually trying to be helpful. You came to a newbie forum and said you weren’t getting facts, so I gave them to you. I never intended to imply you can’t figure out melt value, or that you were in some way incompetent. I was actually trying to say it’s better to have a gold coin with problems than an expensive silver coin with problems. But shame on me for trying to be helpful and nice. 

I never said anything about not getting facts.  Please try harder to understand my posts.  I said I was only getting vague opinions without sufficient explanations to back them up.  Two very different things.

This whole thread is based on opinions not facts.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

Thats ok you continue to show yourself for what you are, I never said a CPA is a big shot, only that you needed to say that to feel important.  Please read and follow along or you will be left behind.

Is there any lie that you won't tell?  It is laughable to think I would state my boring profession to try and feel important.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:35 PM, Woods020 said:

I think I did read that somewhere that proof coins with details can be slabbed. If they won’t I know a guy that can slab them in his moms basement. Looks pretty good too. Just tell him what grade you want it to say on his homemade label. 

My question wasn’t can a proof coin with details be slabbed. My question was can a circulation strike coin get both a proof like designation and be harshly cleaned. By definition they shouldn’t, but I’ll admit I don’t know the answer to that. And I’m not being a smart . I don’t buy or sell many proof like coins cleaned with a garden rake. 

There you go being helpful again.

I see you prefer coins that look like pewter.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, Dimeslot said:

I never said anything about not getting facts.  Please try harder to understand my posts.  I said I was only getting vague opinions without sufficient explanations to back them up.  Two very different things.

This whole thread is based on opinions not facts.

You’re right I don’t understand them. All the crying incessantly about getting “vague” answers and no one giving you specific answers. I took that to mean you wanted specific, fact based answers. Clearly I was wrong again. I really am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:44 PM, Dimeslot said:

There you go being helpful again.

I see you prefer coins that look like pewter.

No I prefer coins that look like they did when they left the mint and have been properly stored and maintained.  I do enjoy some legitimate toning on a coin, but pewter wouldn’t be my first choice of the colors of toning. 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:21 PM, Dimeslot said:

So you’re a Certified Party Animal? Cool. Party on. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:30 PM, VKurtB said:

None, as far as I am aware. PL and “details” are incompatible. 

That was exactly what I was trying to make mister know it all understand. I have never seen it, and logically it shouldn’t be possible. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, Dimeslot said:

If (and I realize it's a big if) this coin gets a MS PL Details grade and you think I couldn't get more than melt for it when there are only 40 PL coins for that year/mint, you are indeed special.

APMEX sells generic cleaned Liberty Heads for $1,929 (that's $177 and 9.8% over melt) so you've already lost.  Your insecurity shows when you add additional qualifiers.  I'm not going to give a buyer a pop quiz to satisfy you but I understand that you want to give yourself a way to weasel out.

Do you even know what PL means?

P.S. - You should use more emojis.

324406 1894 close up.jpg

Theres no way a cleaned coin will get a straight grade. It will get a DETAILS grade. If it gets the DETAILS they wont give it the PL or MS  designation.