• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any hope for this coin with hairlines?
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Worst part is it looks more PL than most of the slabbed PL coins I have.  Granted, these pics may not show the potential PL very well.  These are harsh pics as far as appearances go compared to what it looks like in person (even under a 30x loop).  I paid $250 above spot so not a huge risk.

324406 1894 a.jpg

324406 1894 b.jpg

324406 1894 f.jpg

tj96 

Welcome.  The reason we are all going ouch is, for most of us have one similar. It’s a “misery loves company “ kind of greeting. There’s a lot of knowledge here and it’s free. We also have some interesting senses of humor 😂. Stick around, read some of the other threads and you’ll get an idea of which members know #%* from shine-ola. And learn something new just about every day. 😉

On 1/20/2022 at 3:55 PM, James Zyskowski said:

tj96 

Welcome.  The reason we are all going ouch is, for most of us have one similar. It’s a “misery loves company “ kind of greeting. There’s a lot of knowledge here and it’s free. We also have some interesting senses of humor 😂. Stick around, read some of the other threads and you’ll get an idea of which members know #%* from shine-ola. And learn something new just about every day. 😉

I agree.  I'm glad you guys have a sense of humor here.  It makes to conversations more interesting.  I don't have any gold coins.  I certainly wouldn't have a problem with the OP's coin in my collection. :wink:

Edited by tj96

Thanks, guys.  Any point in asking NCS to dip it?

The coin has great luster and details in my noob opinion.  I do want to stress that the coin looks MUCH better in person than in the original pics.  The hairlines are almost impossible to see with the naked eye which may surprise you considering how harsh the original pics are.  The new pic I attached is how it looks without bright light and magnification.  The coin is in a capsule but without the top.

If it is PL, it would be one of about 40 (according to NGC & PCGS) for this year.  I know dipping can expose hairlines if they're covered up but am not sure if it could ever remove them.

I'm leaning towards sending it to NCS since it's only $10 if they don't think they can help it.  Thoughts?

324406 1894.jpg

Edited by Dimeslot

On 2/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, Dimeslot said:

Thanks, guys.  Any point in asking NCS to dip it?

The coin has great luster and details in my noob opinion.  I do want to stress that the coin looks MUCH better in person than in the original pics.  The hairlines are almost impossible to see with the naked eye which may surprise you considering how harsh the original pics are.  The new pic I attached is how it looks without bright light and magnification.  The coin is in a capsule but without the top.

If it is PL, it would be one of about 40 (according to NGC & PCGS) for this year.  I know dipping can expose hairlines if they're covered up but am not sure if it could ever remove them.

I'm leaning towards sending it to NCS since it's only $10 if they don't think they can help it.  Thoughts?

NCS can do nothing to help this coin.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, Dimeslot said:

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.  Instead of throwing out vague Debbie Downer comments, you should try to add something of value.

If you say "NCS's policy is not to dip coins just to try and fix hairlines."  That would be helpful (not what I hope to hear but informative).

Same for something like "NCS has had some success in fixing hairlines via dipping in the past but I believe your coin's hairlines are too numerous and deep".  Again, that would be informative even if it's not what I want to hear.

Or perhaps you're just not knowledgeable enough to add specific information of value.

It’s going to take more than a dip, perhaps a nice long bath, to fix these hairlines. Not being critical or Debbie downer as you say, but I think what others are telling you is these are scratches in the coin. Metal has both moved and been removed. There isn’t a way to fix that. You can put it in your pocket every day for several years and it will have honest wear down to a much lower grade. That’s about the only option. Details aggressively cleaned or have honest wear down a few grades until the scratches are worn off. Not sure NCS will be able to help you. 

Edited by Woods020

On 2/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, Woods020 said:

It’s going to take more than a dip, perhaps a nice long bath, to fix these hairlines. Not being critical or Debbie downer as you say, but I think what others are telling you is these are scratches in the coin. Metal has both moved and been removed. There isn’t a way to fix that. You can put it in your pocket every day for several years and it will have honest wear down to a much lower grade. That’s about the only option. Details aggressively cleaned or have honest wear down a few grades until the scratches are worn off. Not sure NCS will be able to help you. 

Thank you for the specific, useful info.  As I explained above, I'm not just trying to get an answer I like.  I'm trying to get something more than vague opinions.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, Just Bob said:

You just couldn't help yourself, could you? You just had to throw that little schoolyard insult in there because someone said something you didn't like.

There was nothing vague about what Coinbuf said. NCS can't fix your coin. Simple answer. No elaboration or explanation necessary. The fact that it was not what you wanted to hear, does not make it untrue. Or vague.

Welcome to the forum. Expect honest, straightforward answers, even if you don't like or agree with them.

If you're not going to take the time to read my posts, please feel free to stay off my threads.  I explained above that I'm not just trying to get an answer I like.  I'm trying to get something more than vague opinions.

Everything Coinbuf has said is vague.  I gave specific examples of what I'm looking for so I'm not sure how you're confused.

You did the same thing "NCS can't fix your coin. Simple answer.".  That is vague and useless without a detailed explanation why.

I love honest, straightforward answers that contain more than opinions that aren't backed up with details. 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:42 PM, Coinbuf said:

If you need sugar coating and someone to wipe away your tears go elsewhere, here you get the honest unvarnished truth.

If you're not going to take the time to read my posts, please feel free to stay off my threads.  I explained above that I'm not just trying to get an answer I like.  I'm trying to get something more than vague opinions.

Everything you have said is vague and useless because you can't back anything up with details.

I'm looking for details not sugar coating.  Please try to understand my posts better in the future. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

I gave you the simple truth not an opinion, if you cannot handle it don't ask.   There are no details to give, you clearly have no idea what NCS does.

Again, more useless vague opinions.  I'll quote myself when I provided examples of what I was hoping to learn - If you say "NCS's policy is not to dip coins just to try and fix hairlines."  That would be helpful (not what I hope to hear but informative).

Same for something like "NCS has had some success in fixing hairlines via dipping in the past but I believe your coin's hairlines are too numerous and deep".  Again, that would be informative even if it's not what I want to hear.

Does that sound like I need sugar coating?  Does that sound like I can't handle the truth?

Coinbuf, I can explain this to you but can't understand it for you.  Please try harder to understand my posts.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:42 PM, Dimeslot said:

Again, more useless vague opinions.  I'll quote myself when I provided examples of what I was hoping to learn - If you say "NCS's policy is not to dip coins just to try and fix hairlines."  That would be helpful (not what I hope to hear but informative).

Does that sound like I need sugar coating?  Does that sound like I can't handle the truth?

Coinbuf, I can explain this to you but can't understand it for you.  Please try harder to understand my posts.

I understand just fine, you want someone else to be responsible and fix your coin, it cannot be done.   That is not an opinion it is fact, that you need handholding is not my job.   If you want information open a book and learn.  At the end of the day you have a piece of junk gold that is only worth the melt value and nobody can fix that, simple enough for you to understand?

On 2/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

I understand just fine, you want someone else to be responsible and fix your coin, it cannot be done.   That is not an opinion it is fact, that you need handholding is not my job.   If you want information open a book and learn.  At the end of the day you have a piece of junk gold that is only worth the melt value and nobody can fix that, simple enough for you to understand?

Another vague, useless opinion.  Gee, thanks.

You're whining that I hope someone can fix the coin?  That's just pathetic.  What else should I hope for?

If you think that a Details coin is automatically only worth melt, you really need to open a book and learn.

What part of stay off my thread did you not understand?  I feel like I'm being stalked here.  Please don't make me ask you again.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, Dimeslot said:

Another vague, useless opinion.  Gee, thanks.

You're whining that I hope someone can fix the coin?  That's just pathetic.  What else should I hope for?

If you think that a Details coin is automatically only worth melt, you really need to open a book and learn.

What part of stay off my thread did you not understand?  I feel like I'm being stalked here.  Please don't make me ask you again.

image002.jpg

That one is scratched up to badly for them to fix. Only thing you can do is try to take it back and get your money back for it. It would be hard to get more than melt from it. Collectors try to stay away from those kind of coins. Someone who didnt know what they were doing tried to give it a cleaning at one time and scratched it up badly. Gold is pretty soft. It has to be cleaned professionally by someone like NCS who specializes in conserving coins. Sadly its to late for that one. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:07 PM, Coinbuf said:

Why not its rather amusing watching you have your meltdown.  :roflmao:  You are a funny guy, I said your damaged beyond repair coin is only worth melt, please prove me wrong and find a knowledgeable collector that would pay you over melt for your damaged coin.   For someone that insists that I read your posts your doing a very poor job of reading mine.  (thumbsu

It's sad when stalkers blame their victims.

I'll take you up on that challenge and will definitely keep you posted on this in the coming months.  This will be a teachable moment for you.

On 2/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, Dimeslot said:

I'll take you up on that challenge and will definitely keep you posted on this in the coming months.  This will be a teachable moment for you.

Remember I said knowledgeable coin collector, not the bum at your corner.  :roflmao:  Should be interesting to see you prove all that.  lol

On 2/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, Dimeslot said:

You do realize gold melt is $1750 give or take for this coin right. He is telling you that no one will pay a premium above that, and I agree. You can have a slabbed, MS62 example without any problems for $2200 or so. This isn’t a rare coin where the lions share of value is collector value. As with the majority of gold coins the majority of value is in the metal and collector value is minimal until high grades. 

The good news is a problem gold coin still holds a large amount of its value. Many coins of other metals the value is almost exclusively collector value and you would really be screwed. 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

Remember I said knowledgeable coin collector, not the bum at your corner.  :roflmao:  Should be interesting to see you prove all that.  lol

If (and I realize it's a big if) this coin gets a MS PL Details grade and you think I couldn't get more than melt for it when there are only 40 PL coins for that year/mint, you are indeed special.

APMEX sells generic cleaned Liberty Heads for $1,929 (that's $177 and 9.8% over melt) so you've already lost.  Your insecurity shows when you add additional qualifiers.  I'm not going to give a buyer a pop quiz to satisfy you but I understand that you want to give yourself a way to weasel out.

Do you even know what PL means?

P.S. - You should use more emojis.

324406 1894 close up.jpg