• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy cheap, uncleaned Ancient Coins?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hey buddy.    Happy holidays 

So I checked eBay search and bingo. Here’s a quick screenshot. I typed in Ancient coins bulk. Good luck There’s lots of listings  Some of this a little of that.  I find it handy for a rough idea   

4BA62C51-BF1E-4FB0-BF6F-67CBFD6FA9A4.png

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 1/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, Mohawk said:

He is indeed.  He may be the Imperator of cheap, uncleaned ancients.

If I were the OP, I'd start going to the trouble of setting up the electricity method. I forget exactly what it's called, but I think it's the most common one that doesn't involve chemicals or abrasion.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, JKK said:

If I were the OP, I'd start going to the trouble of setting up the electricity method. I forget exactly what it's called, but I think it's the most common one that doesn't involve chemicals or abrasion.

Based on this YouTube video I found by typing "electricity method of cleaning coins" into Google, I think it's electrolysis.  And, to the OP and anyone else interested, here's the video I found (which may be the very first time a useful coin related YouTube video has ever been posted here):

I thought electrolysis was the term, but worried that if I typed it without doing research, and was wrong, I would deserve all the "Foo, how is hair removal going to help a coin?" wisecracks. However, being too lazy to look it up myself, I had high hopes someone else would. You did not disappoint, mon ami.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:01 PM, JKK said:

I thought electrolysis was the term, but worried that if I typed it without doing research, and was wrong, I would deserve all the "Foo, how is hair removal going to help a coin?" wisecracks. However, being too lazy to look it up myself, I had high hopes someone else would. You did not disappoint, mon ami.

I'm always there for you, my friend :) 

On 1/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, Mohawk said:

He is indeed.  He may be the Imperator of cheap, uncleaned ancients.

• B: Suárez draped, cuirassed bust right, pearl diadem
  • O: IMP SVAREVS PF AVG
  • R: GLORIA NVMISMATICA
  • T: Numismatica standing left, holding cournucopia, loupe, and ERIC II
  • E: OLYΓ, volcano in field

I'd buy it.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, JKK said:
  • B: Suárez draped, cuirassed bust right, pearl diadem
  • O: IMP SVAREVS PF AVG
  • R: GLORIA NVMISMATICA
  • T: Numismatica standing left, holding cournucopia, loupe, and ERIC II
  • E: OLYΓ, volcano in field

I'd buy it.

Me too!! I'm in!!!

Bulgaria and Romania are the main sources for ancient bronze coins. They are also centers for die-struck and cast fakes of the same coin-types....these are crudely aged to imperfection.

And exporting ancients from Bulgaria is illegal I believe.  If I remember the government stance is any coins/antiquities dug up out of the ground belong to the government.