• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you were to win the Powerball on January 1, 2022, now pegged at $500,000 (pre-taxes) what would be No. 1 on your list of numismatic treasures?
2 2

52 posts in this topic

FWIW:  In N.Y. State, prizes cannot be claimed anonymously. But for those who feel doubt or discomfort in the lack of total transparency, herewith my QuickPick numbers:  04-08-14-24-63 and powerball: 04. Last I heard, the pot was up to 540 mil and there will doubtless be a flurry of activity up until cut-off time tonite.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: transposing misplaced comma.

Well, obviously I did not win the jackpot. I don't know who did, but there were millions of winners of lesser prizes. One thing for sure, if I did, I wouldn't make any of the mistakes Jack Whittaker made.  If there was a winner, and I am not sure there was, his name would not be announced until he stepped forward to claim the prize.  🐓 

I hadn't realized no one one the top prize -- again.  (I guess it takes time for all the 38? participating states to tabulate and collate their results.

The pot right now is $610 million (if you choose the 20-year installment option). The one-time cash payout [in New York, pre-tax] is $434 million.

The drawing is to-nite at 10:59 pm, Eastern seaboard time.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Addition of last line.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, Revenant said:

I would immediately want a set of 1920 and 1924 Double Eagles ( and maybe a full mint set) to honor my grandparents - I'm named for my Grandfather.

That's a very nice tribute, William.  I actually have a 1923 Danzig 2 pfennig in honor of my grandfather.  He was born in that area in 1923.  

On 1/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, Revenant said:

I would immediately want a set of 1920 and 1924 Double Eagles ( and maybe a full mint set) to honor my grandparents - I'm named for my Grandfather.

There are two 1920 coins.  The 1920 is pricy after MS-63 and jumps to figures in MS65.  The 1920-S only has 100-150 coins and is 6-figures in MS.

The 1924 is modest premium up to MS65 and even low-5 figures or high-4's for MS67's.

I believe there was a single winnner of the ($540 million* prize) as there were many lesser ones who are afforded the luxury of stepping forward, into the mandatory limelight, when ready-- up to a year. I do not know if Moderation, would allow it, but I would make a valiant attempt to buy back @Alex in PA's best friend's friendship.  Siding with an alleged/never proven, sunstantive liar's intransigence is hardly a sound reason to throw the 🐓 out with the bathwater.

So far, timely disclosure of the winner's name is his or hers prerogative.

Right now I face a bigger problem: 1- getting my wife to attend NYINC, and convincing her not to link me to her with an embarrassing set of handcuffs and leg irons.  🐓  

On 1/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

How many states participipate in Powrball?

@Oldhoopster

"Powrball" is spelled Powerball.

The number of participating states, coincidentally, is equal to the number of those who comprise my Army of Ignorers, who comprise the bulk of my fans.  The question you've poised -- which was answered in a previous post -- was presented to make a point -- and express your dominion over me.

I don't mind.   If, as they say, everyone has his price, I will buy your friendship and will gladly meet your price and exceed your wildest expectations.

Thank you for following my column!  :makepoint:  doh!   :facepalm:

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Extensive die polishing.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:22 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe there was a single winnner of the ($540 million* prize) as there were many lesser ones who are are afforded the luxury of stepping forward, into the mandatory limelight, when ready-- up to a year. I do not know if Moderation, would allow it, but I would make a valiant attempt to buy back @Alex in PA's best friend's friendship.  Siding with an alleged/never proven, sunstantive liar's intransigence is hardly a sound reason to throw out the 🐓 with the bathwater

So far, timely disclosure of the winner's name is his or hers prerogative.

Right now I face a baggies problem: 1- getting my wife to attend NYINC, and convincing her not to link me to her with an embarrassing set of handcuffs and leg irons.  🐓  

@Oldhoopster

"Powrball" is spelled Powerball.

The number of participating states, coincidentally, is equal to the number of those who comprise my Army of Ignorers, who comprise the bulk of my fans.  The question you've poised -- which was answered a previous post -- was presented to make a point -- and express your dominion over me.

I don't mind.   If, as they say, everyone has his price, I will buy your friendship and will gladly meet your price and exceed your wildest expectations.

Thank you for following my column!  :makepoint:  doh!   :facepalm:

I'm glad I could help.

Edit to add:

@Quintus Arrius your response has me slightly confused.  I didn't ask the question about powerball, you did.  I was just telling you where to find the answer. I appreciate the the spelling correction (between typing on a phone and auto correct, you can have a field day with my typos), but in this case, "powrball" was from your post.  And if you knew the question had been answered previously, why did you ask it again?  

Either your getting the posts confused, Or your trying to mess with people again.  Hopefully it's the former.

Edited by Oldhoopster
Edit to add:

Note to members...

Two people won the powerball.  The winning numbers were 6-14-25-33-46 and PB: 17.  The final pot was 632.5 mil, but how much they will be able to claim, before taxes, depends on the states they reside in. There were 3 million winners of lesser prizes.

For reasons I have not quite understood, none of this makes any difference to me or my wife.  This thread if for you to ruminate over things you've never really thought about before.  I enjoy reading about other members' goals.

I would pay the high taxes on the lump sum, take care of grandchildren  and great grandchildren in a college fund, and give the rest away. All of it. Quickly, to relatives and friends, without much forethought. Adios!!!

@ronnie stein

More money; more problems...

I recently received a letter stating matter-of-factly that due to the nearly 6% increase in Soc. Sec. benefits, a commensurate decrease would be made in my SNAP benefits.  When you are retired, all entitlements get slashed.  Back in 1984 I had a personal injury settlement. Non-taxable, but 1/3 went to the hospital, 1/3 went to my lawyer, and 1/3 went to me -- minus any outstanding debts. I am 70. All entitlements are fair game. My wife's SSI disability payment was reduced to $135.17/mo. [To] make a long story short, I was given an ultimatum:  get rid of it (with a mountain of restrictions) and then the unsmiling clerk behind the thick glass turned around and pointedly warned me: SAVE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!  I figure in another five years -- they go back four -- I should become a civilized human being again if I am still alive.

A lot of people who win cars and vacations on game shows are unaware that taxes have to be paid on those prizes.  If you're younger, you have options: pay off your student debt, put your money in stocks, bonds, IRA's, etc.  If you are older you have options too, but they're not as palatable.  Every person you know has there own financial circumstance.  For me, realistically, I would have to seek out professional help. But don't make your problem other people's problems by tossing money around they will have to explain (and pay a tax on) in due course.   :whatthe: 

QA, that's the point. I'll be 70 in a few weeks. I don't like 'look at me' large homes, don't want acreage anymore, don't want a sports car to get traffic tickets with or worse, flip it upside down at 170 mph. No more horses to feed and take to the vet, no more traveling to other continents, on and on. I would enjoy watching others be thrilled, make mistakes, give to others in need that they know, and have money woes and unseen dilemmas that it would bring. I can't buy health and longevity, or friendship or love. I just don't need the money at this point like others may at my age, I will admit, I would like to make an offer they couldn't refuse on the 1870S three dollar Indian Princess coin, $100,000,000, with the agreement that I have it in my collection, in my registry set, and then donate it back to them for display where it was for the public to view. There are many other more worthwhile pieces for sure, but that coin would be my personal 'holy grail'. When I said give to friends, I meant members on this chat board as well. I'd like to help you upgrade your Roosters, put a smile on your face. That would make me happy. That is, unless you wouldn't want me to 'toss' any your way. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:41 AM, Oldhoopster said:

I'm glad I could help.

Edit to add:

@Quintus Arrius And if you knew the question had been answered previously, why did you ask it?

Either your getting the posts confused,

Or your trying to mess with people again. 

CORRECTIONS AND AMPLIFICATIONS...

Going w-a-a-a-y back to Wed. 2:42 pm, but hopefully within the statutory limits for responding to old posts set by yourself and at least one other easily flustered member, you will find "38?", within a parenthetical comment regarding the number of participating Powerball states. I simply wasn't sure. Over the years, the number has crept upward. Google is as Google does. Ditto the mass media.

Texting has virtually destroyed writing:  the contraction for "you are," is not "your;" it's "you're."  Mess with people?  And lose a First Class stalker like you?  No way!  😉  🐓 

On 1/8/2022 at 10:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

A lot of people who win cars and vacations on game shows are unaware that taxes have to be paid on those prizes.  If you're younger, you have options: pay off your student debt, put your money in stocks, bonds, IRA's, etc.  If you are older you have options too, but they're not as palatable.  Every person you know has there own financial circumstance.  For me, realistically, I would have to seek out professional help. But don't make your problem other people's problems by tossing money around they will have to explain (and pay a tax on) in due course.   :whatthe: 

I would pay off my student debt... I'm always thinking about how hard to pay for it for my parents. It's such big money, and I even go to work to help them. Fortunately, I found this source https://samplius.com/ with writing help, and my education didn't become worse. People must understand that we can't be as careless as we used to be. Winning the Lottery is a great thing, but it's not cancelled that all of us must work and develop ourselves.

Edited by mallardalert

On 1/4/2022 at 3:53 PM, jtryka said:

Completing my Saint set, including the 33!

Yep, same here.

Strangely though, I'm much more interested in either the Baker or Hesselgesser 21 over the 33

Edited by Cat Bath

I've told myself for years that one of the worst things that can happen to me is to win the lottery. What happens to your life after you win such a large amount of money... I'd be surprised if anyone could remain the same and continue with their life. If I want a lifestyle that a lottery can provide me with, well I'd better get out there and earn it. That way I have a life I chose, and that is unlikely to change from what I want it to be. Perhaps I overthink these things. 

But if something like this were to befall me, I'd buy a nice Satin proof Saint and $10 Indian and donate the rest. Get rid of it somehow to where I can never get it back, no matter how hard I try. I'd make sure it's gone. Now, how many of you think I'm crazy? :roflmao: