• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's WWII Nickels
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2021 at 2:05 PM, Lem E said:

Congratulations my friend. Its a great looking set. 

That means a lot coming from you Lem  I have seen your WWII set, it is very very nice. (thumbsu

On 12/31/2021 at 1:09 PM, J P Mashoke said:

That means a lot coming from you Lem  I have seen your WWII set, it is very very nice. (thumbsu

Thanks JP. I appreciate that coming from another collector like yourself. You have done very well, and I’m glad you were able to get your 43/2. Congrats again my brother.

Congrats, JP!! It's always a great feeling to finish a project.  I've only known that feeling with numismatics a few times.....I'm just too all over the place to get too far with finishing series.  You should be proud of your set....it's a nice one, with very nice coins and built with a lot of love and care.  Well done (thumbsu

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/31/2021 at 11:28 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I received the last of the regular silver WWII Nickels today. I was wondering if it would come in today? When I first started this collection in April I was to try to complete a hand picked regular set by 2022 if I could. Well here it is 12/31/21 and they are all home. I was going to wait and hunt for the NGC requested 1943/2 until next year. But thanks to Lem. He posted a link for me to check out on that error coin. I ordered it on Tuesday and it will be here soon. So here is the new coin and the regular MS 64,65 + 66  WWII set. It is not in the top 100 of the NGC Registry but it is close to the top 200 :roflmao: I also want to say thanks to all who have been a part of my War Nickel Journey it has been a fun year here on the NGC forum. Happy New Year to All     

1944 S +.jpg

1944 S Revers.jpg

JP's War Set +.jpg

'Very nice, I was pretty proud of my old boys till I saw this set, thanks for setting my goal for next year for me!  Happy new year.

Edited by R__Rash

I thought you guys may like this one. The new 1944 S is a Variety Vista 1944-S DDO-001, 1-O-I-CW . It is not a big Double Die but it is still fun to find on a coin I got online. 11944-S DDO-001, 1-O-I-CW944-S DDO-001, 1-O-I-CW

S20211231_0001.jpg

S20211231_0002.jpg

Dang JP. Way to go. Just got er done. What are you going to do next ?  I must say my dime album project sure is more fulfilling than I expected. The way the dimes present on the page is a cool perspective. 
Well congratulations  here’s a picture. I’ve been told that the large size(quarter, half etc) are harder to display,not sure but can’t say till I study more 

253959CF-D797-45DC-B0F9-B7F5F9626C33.jpeg

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 12/31/2021 at 11:28 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Dang JP. Way to go. Just got er done. What are you going to do next ?  I must say my dime album project sure is more fulfilling than I expected. The way the dimes present on the page is a cool perspective. 
Well congratulations  here’s a picture. I’ve been told that the large size are harder to display,not sure but can’t say till I study more 

That's a nice looking album, James.  Maybe I need a nice album project....the sad thing is that it's actually pretty hard to find albums that properly fit many of the Canadian coins that I like.  My favorites are the quarters.....which are just different in size from U.S. quarters enough that they spin in the holes in an album designed for U.S. quarters:pullhair:......maybe West German silver 5 marks.  That could work....they're an even 29mm, so I could find blank album pages for them and they're attractive coins, especially in proof.........hm

On 12/31/2021 at 11:45 PM, James Zyskowski said:

That’s a heap big question. 29mm. Ok I start the machine in motion 😉

I'm going to have to do some homework myself, my friend. I am unsure if I'm even going to proceed at this point......I need to find out if I can actually afford all of the coins that would be required.  It's not widely known, but a few of the date/mint mark combinations on some early West German coins are actually quite scarce and expensive.....even more so when you start talking proofs. So, I need to see if any of these rarities fall into the 5 mark series and how expensive they are if they do.  I have a single proof 5 mark right now, a 1974-D (Munich Mint).  I was just throwing ideas out there.  But if you did see somewhere selling 29mm album pages, I'd definitely take a look, my friend.  I think my first numismatic quest of 2022 will be researching this.....

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/31/2021 at 10:51 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm going to have to do some homework myself, my friend. I am unsure if I'm even going to proceed at this point......I need to find out if I can actually afford all of the coins that would be required.  It's not widely known, but a few of the date/mint mark combinations on some early West German coins are actually quite scarce and expensive.....even more so when you start talking proofs. So, I need to see if any of these rarities fall into the 5 mark series and how expensive they are if they do.  I have a single proof 5 mark right now, a 1974-D (Munich Mint).  I was just throwing ideas out there.  But if you did see somewhere selling 29mm album pages, I'd definitely take a look, my friend.  I think my first numismatic quest of 2022 will be researching this.....

29 mm pages

Canadian quarter albums are at the bottom of this page

On 12/31/2021 at 11:28 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Well congratulations  here’s a picture. I’ve been told that the large size(quarter, half etc) are harder to display,not sure but can’t say till I study more 

I am still working on my regular Morgan set of MS 60 and up so that will take a while, I may keep going with the Nickels 38 to 64 and then finish that old Nickel book I found 62 to 95 and then onward LoL 

On 1/1/2022 at 1:37 AM, Just Bob said:

Hi Bob!!

Thanks for that!!! I've actually tried the Canadian quarter album listed there and I had to return it.  The holes were cut to the 24.3 MM size of a U.S. Quarter.  Canadian quarters are 23.44 MM.  It's not a huge difference, but enough of one that my coins spun in the album's holes, which was quite discouraging.  But I thank you so much for looking that up for me, my friend.

~Tom

On 12/31/2021 at 11:51 PM, Mohawk said:

Welp, I think the whole proof 5 Mark thing is out the window....those 1950's and early 1960's dates are very rare and quite expensive in any presentable grade and there are just too many dates like that to make the project feasible, especially in a raw form in an album.  I'm so good at thinking of coin goals that are next to impossible or which are actually impossible for me.  It's the same old tired Mohawk c*ap again!!  Back to the drawing board.......

On 1/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Mohawk said:

Welp, I think the whole proof 5 Mark thing is out the window....those 1950's and early 1960's dates are very rare and quite expensive in any presentable grade and there are just too many dates like that to make the project feasible, especially in a raw form in an album.  I'm so good at thinking of coin goals that are next to impossible or which are actually impossible for me.  It's the same old tired Mohawk c*ap again!!  Back to the drawing board.......

I'm sure you will find something fun to work with that won't break the bank.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I'm sure you will find something fun to work with that won't break the bank.

Thanks for the kind words, JP.  I will eventually, I'm sure.  I'll stumble on the correct path.  I know I want to keep going with Canada, of course, I just have to find the perfect thing there.  Germany, well, I guess we'll see if I can figure out something to do there with some more time and research.  And I still have my banknotes.....those are a much more international collection than anything I do with coins.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:19 AM, GBrad said:

Well @J P Mashoke.... My friend, you have created a special place in my heart for War Nickels.  Congrats on completing your set!!:golfclap: I was just going through a random roll of Jeffersons right now and this one showed up.  Couldn't help but to throw a pic up here for ya.  Heck, I would have given you this one for your set if you needed it but I don't think it would quite meet the standards you have patiently sought and achieved, awesome.(thumbsu Shoot...I may just start a set of raw War Nickels myself..... I've found quite a few over the years CRH'ing.  Can't remember what all I have but you may have just compelled me to go back and look.  Congrats again!   

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

I had to drag my sets out to look at yesterday thanks to JP. No clean one owners but close…