• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of worms

22 posts in this topic

It should be noted for new people reading this post that AACGS is a scam ! Coins are consistently over graded and the company has been banned from EBAY. If you are aware of this, know that you are essentially buying silver content value and nothing more. For 5 bucks each Mr. Rash will do ok. 

The rise in silver prices have made this a winner, but I would caution buying in holders like this and I would not rely on the grade given.   This is one of many self slabbers and coins in holders from companies like this should be considered as raw coins.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:07 AM, J P Mashoke said:

On average a 64 is worth $25 and even a 40 is worth more than double that $5 at $13 so I think you WIN.^^ 

Did a little research project this morning. If I hadn’t taken the time to take pictures it would have been all of 5 minutes to dissect and place. A couple of dabs of model car glue sides and ends. I have a few coins I’ve been thinking about sending in, I figure I will send this one along from curiosity. Might come back at least a 40?

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

On 1/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, RWB said:

Soooo...the OP wants to spend (waste) $35 to $50 to have common Kennedy halves put into TPG slabs....?

Sooooo….The value going forward to share documented fact with as many as possible is a plus not a minus, yes? It definitely isn’t being done do designate the coin as a “ specimen”.  

On 1/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Mohawk said:

I have to agree R_Rash....that coin definitely doesn't warrant a trip to NGC.  It would cost more to slab it than the coin is worth.

I agree also, but sometimes the cost of learning at hand is a valuable tool in its own right. I am in an education process and appreciate all of your inputs, but still need to satisfy the visual comparison factor in my mind.  It will be traveling in very good company.  Again, this is why the topic is titled “Can of worms” . Thanks again, I always appreciate all comments 👍

On 1/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, R__Rash said:

I agree also, but sometimes the cost of learning at hand is a valuable tool in its own right. I am in an education process and appreciate all of your inputs, but still need to satisfy the visual comparison factor in my mind.  It will be traveling in very good company.  Again, this is why the topic is titled “Can of worms” . Thanks again, I always appreciate all comments 👍

There's absolutely no problem with paying for education, R-Rash.  I agree and my student loan balances would bear me out on this fact!! Best of luck on your submission.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, R__Rash said:

What do you propose to "learn" from wasting money to have a common coin in common condition authenticated and graded? Will you learn self-deception? Will you learn wastefulness?

On 1/2/2022 at 1:31 PM, R__Rash said:

The value going forward to share documented fact with as many as possible is a plus not a minus, yes?

If there were something useful to share, yes it wold be; but, here there is no "documented fact" of any value at all -- to anyone, except possibly yourself. You would learn more by spending the same amount of money to buy a couple of 1964 Kennedys that have already been graded, and on which someone else had already wasted money.

Reality is a good teacher, but there is nothing to be gained by wasting your funds. You have a nice profit on the metal. Enjoy it.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, RWB said:

What do you propose to "learn" from wasting money to have a common coin in common condition authenticated and graded? Will you learn self-deception? Will you learn wastefulness?

If there were something useful to share, yes it wold be; but, here there is no "documented fact" of any value at all -- to anyone, except possibly yourself. You would learn more by spending the same amount of money to buy a couple of 1964 Kennedys that have already been graded, and on which someone else had already wasted money.

Reality is a good teacher, but there is nothing to be gained by wasting your funds. You have a nice profit on the metal. Enjoy it.

It is not about the coin, or it’s intrinsic value, it’s about the marketing and system by many that use terms or fictitious grading (description) to enhance the value of their sale. Similar to how you feel about the “SP” designation. I am just not fearful to do my own DD with the added expertise of many here in this group of fine people so willing to share without belittling or insulting. 

On 1/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, Mohawk said:

There's absolutely no problem with paying for education, R-Rash.  I agree and my student loan balances would bear me out on this fact!! Best of luck on your submission.

Guess I’ll have too pass on the next Crown XR should I decide to waste my hard earned cash to satisfy my curiosity. 
guess I shouldn’t assume that everyone knows XR is Canadian Whiskey…

Edited by R__Rash

I would hope you would reconsider and not send this coin in. A MS 66 is only worth $80 and this isn't a 66 for sure. You did get a good deal at $5 but adding a $35 holder will not make it any more than a $13 coin in my opinion. But it is your money my friend to do with as you wish. .

Agree with the others that for $5 you didn't take a loss AND definitely onboard with J P Mashoke about not sending that in to be graded. 

On a personal note and that's just me, I don't even look at AACGS or similarly PCI and PCS slabbed coins anywhere online or at the locals shows.   

Edited by MN1

Thank you to all of you for contributing. I feel that in reading all of your inputs, should someone read this thread, they will have a little better understanding of what is being marketed on the streets and thanks to all of you a better picture of the real value you all put into helping others, each in your own way. 

On 1/2/2022 at 12:45 PM, R__Rash said:

I won’t try and persuade you one way or another in how to spend your money, but maybe I’ll offer an alternative to consider. PCGS has CoinFacts, which gives you pictures of graded coins across the spectrum side by side for comparison. I do agree to get adept at grading you need to look at a ton of graded examples side by side to start seeing the nuances, but it will be a costly endeavor to submit your own for a reasonable sample size. Perhaps check that app out first and see if it isn’t a good start to what you are trying to accomplish. 

You also stated perhaps it would come back as atleast a 40. Not to be crass but if that’s your true grade estimate you won’t learn anything from the returned example. You have some learning to do before you would benefit from a TPG confirming your thoughts. My thoughts are this comes back as MS 62/63.  That would be my guess based on the pics anyway. I see no circulation evidence just bag marks. 

Everyone here encourages learning and wants people to do their own homework. We just hate to see you waste money that you could put towards either reference materials or other coins.