• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Coin Goals?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2022 at 11:17 PM, Mohawk said:

Tell me about it.  I've decided that I want to chase some Canadian and German coins as these coins have the most significance for my family story, now that my impossible to complete Faustina the Younger project is kaput for at least the time being and likely for good.....trying to do something which you have about as much chance of completing in your lifetime as you do of emptying the Atlantic Ocean with a bucket is absolutely no fun.  It's like you've already failed as soon as you started.  It's not a great feeling.  For Canada, I've decided on going back to chasing Proof-Like/Uncirculated Set coins from maybe 1964-1975 in cameo, with a main focus on the nickel 1968-1975 sets as they're a pretty good challenge.  As for Germany though......that's tough.  My direct maternal ancestors emigrated to the United States from East Germany in 1948, so East Germany seems like a natural choice.  But I'm also finding West German proof sets quite appealing as well.  Maybe I'll do a little of both.....I'm unsure right now.  I did used to have a pretty nice set of the early East German aluminum coins in mint state while ago, but I had to sell them to get an expensive repair on the Beetle done when I was still working on completing my doctorate and unemployed due to that.  So, maybe I'll try to rebuild that.  I don't know......it's all crazy with possibilities in my head right now regarding Germany!

Youll complete it one of these days. I have faith in you. I keep faith in myself also and its helped me get way farther along on my goals. Faith and determination goes a long way. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Youll complete it one of these days. I have faith in you. I keep faith in myself also and its helped me get way farther along on my goals. Faith and determination goes a long way. 

This is true, Hog.  Definitely true.  I think that once I set my Canada and Germany goals, I'll complete them.  As for Faustina, it really is impossible.  There are literally thousands of different coin types known for her and some of them are exceptionally rare and haven't been offered for sale or auction in presentable grades in decades.  If I thought that Lenny (my turtle) would continue on with the collection in my stead once I die (because I will before it's completed), I'd continue with it.  But I doubt that he'd do so and he's the closest thing to a descendant I'm going to ever have as my fiancée and I decided long ago that we're never having children.  My sister also made the same decision long ago, so no nieces or nephews either.  But this is all okay!! I've come to terms with it and I'm looking forward to some new numismatic adventures in 2022!! One thing can say is that I don't view this as a failure by any stretch.  I learned a lot from trying the project on and I certainly bought some beautiful coins which I'll always love and treasure.  It's a win, even if the project itself didn't turn out to be a success in the way I thought it would.  I wish I'd known about OCRE before I started, but I didn't.  But that's just one of the really cool things I learned about from attempting this.

I'm going to have to say thin out my collection a pinch.  Just some of the inexpensive, ungraded stuff I saved as a kid.   Maybe a graded coin or two where I later upgraded and have multiples of a certain coin and year.

On 1/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, MN1 said:

I'm going to have to say thin out my collection a pinch.  Just some of the inexpensive, ungraded stuff I saved as a kid.   Maybe a graded coin or two where I later upgraded and have multiples of a certain coin and year.

That's not a bad plan, MN.  I did that myself a couple years ago and now I'm actually looking to expand again.  But if I hadn't thinned out first, things would have gotten overwhelming and unruly very quickly!!  I've found that collecting can be a cycle of contraction and expansion at times, given changing goals, differing life circumstances and things of that nature.

Edited by Mohawk