• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Coin Goals?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 12/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, JT2 said:

I have 12 Buffalos left for the complete set :) i look to buy 2 at this years FUN show!!!!!.......after that looking for and 1860 rounded bust to fill out my type 2 indian cent set.  then maybe a Walker or morgan for this year...

I only need 19 more buffs and the elusive 3 legger! and on six more Mercs to fill the book. Speaking of books, does anyone have a recommendation for finding two sided albums like these but newer?

IMG-3052.jpg

IMG-3051.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

On 1/1/2022 at 11:58 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I’m using Littleton upper end albums and love my new Roosie dime issues. Dansco and others make similar items. I’m new to albums so learning as I go. 😉

James I was just looking at the littleton folders and the Dansco too, Is your Littleton the 2nd picture. Do you feel it's as good as the Dansco? The Littleton is $22 while the Dansco is $38

s-l1600 (5).jpg

lca2-wc.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 11:33 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Well stated Mohawk! Everybody seems to write or speak in TXT. especially on any social media platform. (which unfortunately this is). I have found myself using text abbreviations more than I should mostly because I can't accurately type on my phone and that, I am sure, is the major reason it all began that way too! Emojis is another pet peeve of mine. Seems there is one for every possible feeling and emotion out there and probably some that aren't. I ask myself why, when so many intelligent people would rather fat finger a phone and text someone rather than just calling someone. After all they already have a PHONE in their hand! I see couples in restaurants texting each other rather than having a conversation over the table. In many ways, I think we've all become victims of the digital world. Can digitization of currency be far behind? Man I sure hope not. I, personally appreciate those that express themselves without funny pictures or texty acronyms. I appreciate my friends here on the forum with common interests in numismatics. I love coin collecting. I love communicating. I don't like to be put down in posted messages because those persons do not know me or my morals. Well, enough pontificating, Happy New Year to all of you! No emoticons necessary. Out.

I think for me, the disgust with text abbreviations comes from being in the field of education.  I have an appreciation for fully written out words and I loathe text jargon.....I don't even use it when I'm texting!!  At the community college I used to be an adjunct at (glad I'm not doing THAT anymore!!), some of the kids would actually turn in papers with that damned text garbage in them!!! If they did that with me, it was an instant fail.  I informed them of this on day one of class and it STILL happened!  That wasn't popular with them, let me tell you, but I feel it will serve them well later on in life.  How do these kids expect to find a job if they make resumes and write cover letters with text abbreviations in them?  They won't, and I figured that an F from me at the junior college level would help make sure that they didn't include text abbreviations when it really counted.  I was trying to teach them something even more important than the Modern World History stuff I was teaching in the class.  But I digress.....I just cannot stand the text abbreviations.  I think there is value in writing words out fully.  It's better communication in general and I think it shows respect for the person who has to read what you are writing.  It's just good form, it's polite and it's proper writing.

Edited by Mohawk

My Littleton is that one. Slide covers for the coins.  The dansco s became unavailable and still having issues.  I have the Roosie dime 46-2012 and got the 2013 onward for Christmas.  Lighthouse?  I think are expensive.  Here’s one of the things I hear. Put all the coins in at once because sliding the plastic cover might damage the coins.  Weather and improper storage do the damage.  I’m sure it’s possible so I don’t use high grade coins. So far I’ve stuck some mighty fine coins in there and with care I can slide the cover with out apparent damage. 
They are available and well made 

E0BAFBA8-B871-4CE8-8CB6-413931209193.jpeg

On 1/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, JKK said:

To me, on here, writing that is Hot Garbage is a signal that someone doesn't respect their readers enough to write clearly. It conveys: "f u imma rite how i want u old geazars need 2 get with the program now r u gonna anser my questchens or not becuz if not u can move along and stay off of my thread ur not representin NCG rite" In short, the message is that only the illiterate poster matters; those reading it are lesser beings who deserve no respect and are somehow obligated to help. I never feel that obligation and I don't understand it in anyone else, but I can only control what I do.

So I cut to the chase. I don't help them or engage them, though I slip now and then, regretting it each and every time. There is some correlation between "I'm not getting the answers/validation I expected, and I'm peeved" and "I'm semiliterate but you owe me answers anyway." I just have better things to do.

Well said, my friend, well said indeed!! :golfclap:  If they write anything like that, they are instantly placed on my ignore list.  A recent new arrival just landed there a couple of days ago.

Edited by Mohawk

My goals are to:                         

Add as many as I can to my GW set.  

Maybe put together a year set or two. For example a 1965 SMS set in ms 66 or higher. 

Then maybe go after a few strays I really like if the oppurtunity presents itself. Like if I see a really nice buff or merc, or any other as far as that goes ,at a great price and I really want them and got the money ill get them. Maybe even get a world coin.  

On 1/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, James Zyskowski said:

My Littleton is that one. Slide covers for the coins.  The dansco s became unavailable and still having issues.  I have the Roosie dime 46-2012 and got the 2013 onward for Christmas.  Lighthouse?  I think are expensive.  Here’s one of the things I hear. Put all the coins in at once because sliding the plastic cover might damage the coins.  Weather and improper storage do the damage.  I’m sure it’s possible so I don’t use high grade coins. So far I’ve stuck some mighty fine coins in there and with care I can slide the cover with out apparent damage. 
They are available and well made 

E0BAFBA8-B871-4CE8-8CB6-413931209193.jpeg

Thanks James that is the ones I will get. The books look nice and state that they are archival quality. Did you also get the slip boxes for them. I don’t suppose they come with them ?

well I bought coins already in 2022 three Merc dimes that I didn’t have. Now down to nine left.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, Hoghead515 said:

My goals are to:                         

Add as many as I can to my GW set.  

Maybe put together a year set or two. For example a 1965 SMS set in ms 66 or higher. 

Then maybe go after a few strays I really like if the oppurtunity presents itself. Like if I see a really nice buff or merc, or any other as far as that goes ,at a great price and I really want them and got the money ill get them. Maybe even get a world coin.  

Hurry Hoghead, four minutes left

A7D840C3-BA4D-4597-9DD7-36015A40F09C.png

Im thinking about trying to put together a SMS cameo set. Wonder how big of a challenge that would be? Ive seen a few cameos on EBAY on the kennedys, quarters. But not checked the other denominations. I may do more research on them before I try it.  

On 12/31/2021 at 1:52 PM, J P Mashoke said:

To wake up every day for starters. With a smile is a big + also

More to come later.lol

I will keep working on my MS Morgan set and I think I will work on my War Varieties set now. Those two items will take some leg work for what I have left to obtain. Of course anything that happens to jump out and get in the way that looks like a deal, will have to come home also. 

On 1/1/2022 at 2:12 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im thinking about trying to put together a SMS cameo set. Wonder how big of a challenge that would be? Ive seen a few cameos on EBAY on the kennedys, quarters. But not checked the other denominations. I may do more research on them before I try it.  

That could get expensive, Hog.  Especially when you start talking about the cents.  I think those are the toughest to get in cameo.  But if you want to do a cameo SMS set, I'd recommend the 1967 set.  It'd be the least expensive set in cameo and the 1967 SMS is the nicest looking one anyway.  A 1965 cameo SMS set is going to get quite expensive quite quickly.

1) Start my (Ukraine) 20 UAH set..

2) Acquire 1-2 more pre 1800 IoM coins, in uncirculated condition.

3) Add to my IoM half sovereign collection.

4) Finish my 200,000 karbovantsiv set and try to get NGC to recognize a few varieties and correct the current, lone, one.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, Mohawk said:

That could get expensive, Hog.  Especially when you start talking about the cents.  I think those are the toughest to get in cameo.  But if you want to do a cameo SMS set, I'd recommend the 1967 set.  It'd be the least expensive set in cameo and the 1967 SMS is the nicest looking one anyway.  A 1965 cameo SMS set is going to get quite expensive quite quickly.

If a person could do one coin at a time and drag it out a few months. Do you reckon you could do a 65 cameo set for around $900 or less. I would save a little out of eack check and get 1 coin at a time. Maybe 1 a month or every 2 months. Been thinking about taking a small break on the GWs unless a good deal comes around on one. I would like to eventually do all 3 SMS sets in cameo. I said earlier I was gonna get all the GWs I can. Im still really undecided. Kinda like to take a small break. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/1/2022 at 7:14 PM, Hoghead515 said:

If a person could do one coin at a time and drag it out a few months. Do you reckon you could do a 65 cameo set for around $900 or less. I would save a little out of eack check and get 1 coin at a time. Maybe 1 a month or every 2 months. Been thinking about taking a small break on the GWs unless a good deal comes around on one. I would like to eventually do all 3 SMS sets in cameo. I said earlier I was gonna get all the GWs I can. Im still really undecided. Kinda like to take a small break. 

Man, I'm not sure of the actual price for the 65 cameo set.....you might be able to for $900, depending on the numeric grades of the coins.  I'm really not sure.  You may be able to score some bargains, too, which would lower the cost.  It's not impossible, I don't think.  I should do some research.....I usually like to have better answers than this.  

Edited by Mohawk

Okay....I did some completed listings research on 1965 SMS coins in Cameo on eBay.  Here's what I found.

For the half, it looks like you could get it for between $200-$300 for a cameo coin in MS 67 Cameo

For the quarter, there is one MS 66 Cameo that sold for $65.99, so that one seems attainable.  In 67 Cameo, one sold for $239.99

For the dime, I only saw one completed listing in Cameo, which ended at a price of $28.09.  That one was a great bargain, so it looks like there may be bargains to be had.

For the nickel, it looks like they're selling for about $80-$90 in MS 67 Cameo, so that's not bad.

However, I did not see a completed listing for a cent in Cameo and that's the toughest coin.  But I think that if you weren't stuck on Cameo for the cent or were able to score a bargain, you could reasonably do a 1965 SMS Cameo set within the budget you proposed, Hog.  It's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/1/2022 at 8:07 PM, Mohawk said:

Okay....I did some completed listings on 1965 SMS coins in Cameo on eBay.  Here's what I found.

For the half, it looks like you could get it for between $200-$300 for a cameo coin in MS 67 Cameo

For the quarter, there is one MS 66 Cameo that sold for $65.99, so that one seems attainable.  In 67 Cameo, one sold for $239.99

For the dime, I only saw one completed listing in Cameo, which ended at a price of $28.09.  That one was a great bargain, so it looks like there may be bargains to be had.

For the nickel, it looks like they're selling for about $80-$90 in MS 67 Cameo, so that's not bad.

However, I did not see a completed listing for a cent in Cameo and that's the toughest coin.  But I think that if you weren't stuck on Cameo for the cent or were able to score a bargain, you could reasonably do a 1965 SMS Cameo set within the budget you proposed, Hog.  It's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Thank you my friend. Ill probably try to do all 3 sets in ms66. Or maybe a set of ms67 without the cameo. Or maybe 2 of each set. One cameo 1965 and one higher grade non cameo 1965. Not sure yet. Its hard to say. There so much bouncing around in my head. These little boxes I have hold 10 coins. So they would be perfect for  2 sets from each year. I got several of them. Prob eventually do all 3 years of SMS. Polish_20220101_231115823.thumb.jpg.fa45789d714fdbb9a58e332cd0488d45.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/1/2022 at 11:09 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you my friend. Ill probably try to do all 3 sets in ms66. Or maybe a set of ms67 without the cameo. Or maybe 2 of each set. One cameo 1965 and one higher grade non cameo 1965. Not sure yet. Its hard to say. There so much bouncing around in my head. 

Tell me about it.  I've decided that I want to chase some Canadian and German coins as these coins have the most significance for my family story, now that my impossible to complete Faustina the Younger project is kaput for at least the time being and likely for good.....trying to do something which you have about as much chance of completing in your lifetime as you do of emptying the Atlantic Ocean with a bucket is absolutely no fun.  It's like you've already failed as soon as you started.  It's not a great feeling.  For Canada, I've decided on going back to chasing Proof-Like/Uncirculated Set coins from maybe 1964-1975 in cameo, with a main focus on the nickel 1968-1975 sets as they're a pretty good challenge.  As for Germany though......that's tough.  My direct maternal ancestors emigrated to the United States from East Germany in 1948, so East Germany seems like a natural choice.  But I'm also finding West German proof sets quite appealing as well.  Maybe I'll do a little of both.....I'm unsure right now.  I did used to have a pretty nice set of the early East German aluminum coins in mint state a while ago, but I had to sell them to get an expensive repair on the Beetle done when I was still working on completing my doctorate and unemployed due to that.  So, maybe I'll try to rebuild that.  I don't know......it's all crazy with possibilities in my head right now regarding Germany!

Edited by Mohawk