• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another attempt at better coin photographs
2 2

53 posts in this topic

Actually Karen, it’s not all that bad. Just a tad out of focus on top and the lighting is too harsh from the top. But still can see that die crack clearly. Sorry about your phone. You can always play around with your scanner if you have one.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

I just took my 1st Coin shots and they are awful. I knew I hated the phone the 1st time I used it, but this is ridonkulous for real. My Macro clip on is useless. This is as close as I can get with minimal distortion. So don't anybody ever listen to me again. Thanks for listening. I'm out! 

Actually, that's not bad for a super-closeup.  I don't know who here except those with professional equipment or years of experience could do that well.

However, I think most of won't zoom in that close...we want the entire coin to show and sometimes the holder, too.  At least I do. :)

On 1/28/2023 at 10:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Actually, that's not bad for a super-closeup.  I don't know who here except those with professional equipment or years of experience could do that well.

However, I think most of won't zoom in that close...we want the entire coin to show and sometimes the holder, too.  At least I do. :)

If I were sharing a Coin for advice or clarification I would of course provide both sides and the area in question. This photo was taken with my Pixel. See, thing is that I have been able to take great pride in the photos I take so this is a big blow to me. My ego, maybe? Idk? I'm just super crushed over it. 

PXL_20210712_182917030~2.jpg

Karen, make sure any Android phone you have has the freeze thing or whatever it's called that eliminates motion if you aren't steady.  And best thing of all is to use a mini-tripod with one of those bluetooth thingys that lets you take the picture WITHOUT touching the camera -- no possibility of movement. (thumbsu

On 1/29/2023 at 12:33 AM, bsshog40 said:

Before I got my microscope, I use to make sure my camera was set on the highest pixels it was able to. Then when cropping, the subject area would still look good. Sometimes.  Lol

Yes, always best to have the camera set to maximum resolution.  Easier to shrink it to fit in texts or emails later on...if you make it low-res it'll look like if you want to see it on anything larger than a phone screen.

What I like about Windows 10 is that it eliminates the need to use Paint or Photoshop to simply reduce the pixel size....very easy to do it once I move pics from my phone to my PC.

Hi Guys! I'm back with a new Phone!!!!! Yay me and ebay Refurbished!

I went and looked to see when was the last time @Mr.Bill347 had made a comment do I wouldn't feel like we had all hijacked his post. He replied to me like 5 comments ago do I guess we're good gor one more day here. @Mr.Bill347! Have you gained any knowledge with regard to photographing your Notes here? I sure hope so. Seems we all have different ideas and ways of doing it, so maybe if you took a scrap of each you'd be the best photographer of us all. 

So anywhooo... Remember that I broke my Google Pixel 3a and then was stuck with a MoTo g Sux, right? Well, I now am a proud owner of a Google Pixel 6 Pro.Yayayayyaya!!!  Yep, sho nuff am. The Camera App is very weird and at first I thought it was going yo be my new "Google Pixel Dang They Let Me Down 6 Amateur", but I kind of have it figured out some. I still a lot of work to do with learning how it is, 60 Mega pixel one 1 of its lenses!  But today I figured out that if I slide the slider real slow it doesn't go out on me anf I can't use my macro at all. Anyway, here ares the 1st of my Coin  photos that I am almost happy with. Also including one of my absolutely beautiful Grand Daughter Tylee who just celebrated her Sweet Sixteen this week. She has been invited into the International Baccalaureate Program next year. I am very proud. Absolutely no idea how she got so smart. She doesn't even have to try. It's crazy. But can't pass her Driver's Written Test! Go figure. Smh. Anyway, I'll stop bragging in her. 

PXL_20230206_193333631.jpg

PXL_20230206_193333631~2.jpg

PXL_20230206_193333631~3.jpg

PXL_20230204_235610420.jpg

Congrats, Karen....the Pixel 6 is state-of-the-art and the camera got great reviews: (thumbsu

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-6-camera-review-an-outstanding-performer-in-its-segment/

For the most part, just use the default settings and you should be fine.  Again, angle the coins at a 30 degree angle and make sure the light is in front of you (avoid shadows) and you should be fine.   Taking coin pics near a large open window during daylight also seems to work.

@GoldFinger1969 Yeah, I loved the 3a, it was a great device. I figured if I was going to go for it and spend the cash I may as well go big. Lol! Hopefully it will get updates for at least 3 or 4 more years and last me a little longer than that. After using my 1st Pixel, idw use any other brand. Even if they do burn my hand. Smh. They do get very hot. 

I might get an S23 when they come out in a few days....I've never had the state-of-the-art phone when it came out....I usually get a new phone, PC, or TV after it's been out about a year or so.

I could stay with the S9.  Only reason to switch is maybe I'll get better phone service (dropped calls last 2+ years after 12 years of no drops), 5G, and a bit more storage if I get 256 gbytes since you can't add storage with a microSD card (S9 = 64 gigs internal + 128 gigs SDmicro).  So I'd have an extra 64 gbytes which for me is plenty. (thumbsu

On 2/7/2023 at 12:21 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

My son is a big fan of the Samsung brand. I tried one once for a few days but everything was backwards from what I was used to. This is my 1st time having one that's been out less than a year. 

It's tough to change but Pixel and Samsung both use Android (Google which makes Pixel controls the Android operating system).  A switch to Apple/iPhone from either is a much bigger change. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

@GoldFinger1969@GoldFinger1969Yes, I don't think I'd like the iphone at all. I think the Pixel has something from Samsung inside of it. Or maybe it was the previous editions that did.  Can't quite recall. I didn't even know it until I was looking into this phone. I like to have my controls at the bottom of my screen and I think Samsung are up top. Or I didn't know I could change them years ago when I had one. I just didn't like that so I sent it back and stayed with LG until my 3a.

@Mr.Bill347Yay me! The camera is going to take some getting used to but I really like the device as a whole. 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, KarenHolcomb said:

@GoldFinger1969@GoldFinger1969Yes, I don't think I'd like the iphone at all. I think the Pixel has something from Samsung inside of it. Or maybe it was the previous editions that did.  Can't quite recall. I didn't even know it until I was looking into this phone. I like to have my controls at the bottom of my screen and I think Samsung are up top. Or I didn't know I could change them years ago when I had one. I just didn't like that so I sent it back and stayed with LG until my 3a.

Pixel uses Android which is a Google software/OS product.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:36 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Which is why I’ll never consider it. I don’t even use Google to search anything. Duck Duck Go. Everything I own runs a Unix variant. No Windows, no Google. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/10/2023 at 7:02 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t even use Google to search anything. Duck Duck Go ... no Google.

I use the Duck also, along with MS Edge.  No Google anything.

I have trouble photographing MS coins that are very "frosty".  The frosty areas just come out dark.

Edited by EagleRJO

WooHoo! I had finally gotten my new Pixel 6Pro and the camera SUCKED!!! Then I broke it and was back on that garbage Motorola. Then I managed to somehow afford a Pixel 6a and with the new update it said the macro was added to only 6 and 6 Pro, so I was bummed again. Well, I went to use it today and the update DID effect the macro on the 6a. Here are my best and closest shots with it. I did not double tap before or crop after taking the shots. Isn't it great. I love it and am so happy. See you guys next time... 

On 2/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, RWB said:

IBP is a super curriculum! Congrats to her!

Indeed. We are so very proud of her. 2 more years of HS and then off to Medical School, I suppose. I'm trying to a radiologist for her to shadow for a few days this summer so she can see what it's really about. 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes it is. But I really have no problem with Google. They make a great phone that I like. Their search results leave much to be desired, but I tried all those others mentioned and at the end of the day they are offering up Google results so I'll just skip the middle man. 

PXL_20230628_181458273.jpg

PXL_20230628_181521147.jpg

PXL_20230628_181747325.jpg

PXL_20230628_181712462.jpg

PXL_20230628_181639956.jpg

PXL_20230628_181549917.jpg

Karen, I believe the resolution for the pics is 675x900.  While that might be "OK" for posting here and in emails when you just want a small-to-medium pic, you might want to use maximum resolution and then you can always shrink it.  Lower resolution you can't simply make bigger without loss of detail.

These pics of a coin I like and shows great luster are 2300 x3000 and about 1.5 megabytes. Note that you can blow it up and see detail without fuzziness.

You can click on it and after a few clicks you shold zoom in on the coin.  Do it and look at Liberty's mouth -- you can pinpoint on that area and see how clear the coin is and the surrounding area.  At least on my 24" screen -- not sure about a 60" TV. xD

1908 NM WF MS66 CAC $4500 08-11-22.jpg

1908 NM WF MS66 CAC obverse $4500 08-11-22.jpg

Edited by GoldFinger1969

When these pics were on the HA site, I could zoom in smoothly and make it even bigger than these big pics when you double-click.  But I can't do that now on my PC -- must be a feature local to the HA website. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969