• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I "think" this is a Coronet Head Cent?

12 posts in this topic

Found this coin in one of the holders I've been going through. By far the worst shape and worn coin in the bunch.  It's a shame there's not a hint of the date remaining.  The best I can tell, from what's left of this coin, is that it appears to be a Coronet Cent.  I looked at all of the earlier Cents and the obverse profile looks like a match.  Would anyone agree this is a Coronet? If so, I still love it being that it could be over 200 years old. It is definitely underweight at 9.42 grams but I can see why due to the loss of metal. Thanks!

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

It's one of those "fun" coins that can tolerate any level of amusement or abuse without taking any of it personally. It's had a long and useful life.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, RWB said:

It's had a long and useful life.

I totally agree. It's neat to think who's hands, and how many hands, this coin has passed through on its journey to me.  

On 12/29/2021 at 11:05 AM, Coinbuf said:

Too bad there is no way to read the date, those low ball collectors would go nuts for it then.

Yeah, I know right!  I recently learned that there are collectors who specialize in PO1 graded coins and that this grade sometimes brings a higher premium than the next several grades above it.  Maybe if I send it off to the FBI forensic team they can use their specialized etching reagent to see through the metal so that they can see what date it is..... Oh well.... I'm still in love with my "Cornet" :)

On 12/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, JT2 said:

looks like a girl i once took home from a bar late at night..........i wont get into that.

I take that is was all just a hazy "blur" after that one night and then to add to it..... there wasn't any further "date" after that late night...... just sayin.....lol

On 12/30/2021 at 10:26 PM, Woods020 said:

To bad they don’t make pen-a-date like nic-a-date. Or I don’t think they do atleast. 

I tried in vain last night and took so many pics, using different lighting and angles, to see if I could make out at least one numeral in the date.  I believe I was able to make out either a 3 or a 5 on the last digit of the date but it is still inconclusive.  Oh well....... I gave it my best effort.