• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 p dime? Possible error

22 posts in this topic

Optical illusion, but it appears there is uneven wear on the reverse which has obliterated some parts of the legends. In fact, one numeral is missing from the date in the upper foto, but quite visible on the bottom shot.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Additional commentary

It is most likely just some PMD, another less likely possibility is someone (very bored) tooled the area to resemble an S.   No matter how it did not happen during the striking of the coin and is not an error.

Edited by Coinbuf

I agree with everyone else....your coin has post minting damage that looks like an s, but that's it.  

Yup. PMD of some sort. But I will admit, I would have definitely taken a good look at this Dime had I found it.  Not going to argue that it looks like an "S" but as others have said, there's nothing that could have happened at the Mint to have caused this.  I too, at first glance, was thinking dropped letter but @Just Bob put that one to rest.  Still a cool PMD'd coin though (If there is such a thing.... :))  

Edited by GBrad

On 12/21/2021 at 11:11 PM, Clay1492 said:

Just a.WAG, but could it be something that was dropped from the end of the messed up date?

Clay....I'm really not sure what you're asking here, but if it's implying that what is going on with this dime is anything but post minting damage, that is incorrect.  The coin is simply damaged.  The date is weak as an aspect of a poor strike or from being struck by a grease filled die, both of which happen a lot with modern U.S. coinage.

Edited by Mohawk

I have a counter WAG theory 😂

There are many coins that exhibit phantom traces of letters or numbers. We generally say it’s just Pareidolia, and it probably is, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is a simple explanation for some of these. Spare change is very often stored in less than ideal ways such as cup holders or cans by the washing machine. These coins corrode in all kinds of ways. I think this coin, and many others, may have gotten the trace lettering or numbering corrosion from sitting on top of or under another coin in that situation. Here it would have to be a partial 8 from another coin because as Justbob pointed out the S mint mark wouldn’t work.

It’s a moot point because regardless it’s damage of some sort, but I believe some of the times we know it can’t be what it appears and attribute to seeing things is due to this crazy theory 😂

On 12/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, Woods020 said:

I have a counter WAG theory 😂

There are many coins that exhibit phantom traces of letters or numbers. We generally say it’s just Pareidolia, and it probably is, but I have a sneaking suspicion there is a simple explanation for some of these. Spare change is very often stored in less than ideal ways such as cup holders or cans by the washing machine. These coins corrode in all kinds of ways. I think this coin, and many others, may have gotten the trace lettering or numbering corrosion from sitting on top of or under another coin in that situation. Here it would have to be a partial 8 from another coin because as Justbob pointed out the S mint mark wouldn’t work.

It’s a moot point because regardless it’s damage of some sort, but I believe some of the times we know it can’t be what it appears and attribute to seeing things is due to this crazy theory 😂

That could very well be the explanation as well, Woods.  I buy it.

On 12/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, Mohawk said:

That could very well be the explanation as well, Woods.  I buy it.

I have racked my brain for a while on what could cause this. Many times I see what people are saying. There is a trace of a numeral there. But it isn’t possible that it was caused at the mint. This is the most plausible of the theories I’ve come to so far although it’s a stretch 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, Woods020 said:

Spare change is very often stored in less than ideal ways such as cup holders or cans by the washing machine. These coins corrode in all kinds of ways. I think this coin, and many others, may have gotten the trace lettering or numbering corrosion from sitting on top of or under another coin in that situation

On 12/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, Woods020 said:

This is the most plausible of the theories I’ve come to so far although it’s a stretch 

I don't think it is a stretch at all. In fact (not to steal your thunder, but) I have had the same idea. Coffee, Coke, or some other acidic drink spilled into the cup holder, coins stacked on top of each other, soaking in the liquid... who knows what form the damage on a coin's surface will take - including the shape of any letters or numbers on the coins that are touching it.

On 12/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, Just Bob said:

I don't think it is a stretch at all. In fact (not to steal your thunder, but) I have had the same idea. Coffee, Coke, or some other acidic drink spilled into the cup holder, coins stacked on top of each other, soaking in the liquid... who knows what form the damage on a coin's surface will take - including the shape of any letters or numbers on the coins that are touching it.

I am glad I wasn’t the only one with that thought!

Hello my name is Briar Brother. I'm

new to NGC. But before I became a member. I seen and read all the comments about this 1987 p dime!

Everyone seem to think that this marks made after it left the mint.

Wear and tear marks! Not done at the mint! Well I've got to let everyone

In on something! Those are truly mint marks. I have one of these dimes. With all the same marks and 

more. I will try to figure out how to post pics. And if I can! Then you guy's can see what I'm talking about!

I hope to chat with some of you about some currency! Thank you!

If a consensus of collectors said it was post mint damage, but you disagree, would you please include the part of the minting process that you believe are responsible for the marks.  That would be very helpful.  The font and size don't look like anything used by the mint.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, Oldhoopster said:

If a consensus of collectors said it was post mint damage, but you disagree, would you please include the part of the minting process that you believe are responsible for the marks.  That would be very helpful.  The font and size don't look like anything used by the mint.

I fear Briar has set himself up for disappointment. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:49 PM, VKurtB said:

I fear Briar has set himself up for disappointment. 

Well the coin from the OP is PDM to me but it has been 6 months from the original post ? It is more likely the first OP sent it back into the wild and Briar ended up with it. Or maybe he has something totally different ? Stuff does get past quality control if it did not we would have no errors to find. LoL ;)

Edited by J P Mashoke

Related to this coin but a different question Ive wondered about a long time. Why is it these dimes from the 1980s are so mushy looking? Ive seen hundreds of them with the very mushy details. Several way worse than the one above. 

On 4/29/2022 at 9:27 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Related to this coin but a different question Ive wondered about a long time. Why is it these dimes from the 1980s are so mushy looking? Ive seen hundreds of them with the very mushy details. Several way worse than the one above. 

See new post for reply.

Edited by RWB