• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discoloration & Toning
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 3:16 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Someone with more knowledge will be on soon to better answer your question. But to sum it up its mostly chemical reactions due to exposure to certain elements and conditions. I also read that humidid climates also play a big role in toning. 

No need for anyone else to elaborate. You answered it well enough.

In a nutshell it comes from improper storage, coins stored properly in a temperature and humidity controlled environment will not tone or tone very little over a very long time.   Coins that are stored poorly in high heat, high humidity, exposed to chemicals, or some combination of these will tone, sometimes very quickly depending on the metal composition of the coin.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

So, does say "Rainbow" toning diminish the value of a coin?

Hoghead515's explanation works well. There are people who will pay a lot more for authentic, naturally "rainbow" toned, silver coins. But be very skeptical of on-line photos and descriptions - digital enhancement is commonplace and very deceptive.

Its very sad some greedy person will completely ruin a beautiful piece of history to feed their money addiction. I like money to but id rather go out and work for it instead of destroying a beautiful coin over 100 years old get it. Breaks my heart to see these mint state coins getting artifical toned.