• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubled Die? Help my identify

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I am trying to determine if this coin is doubled die or if this is something caused by machine error. This is a 1992 silver eagle. I would love opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

20211215_205905.jpg

20211215_205836.jpg

16396255563056519810683235202244.jpg

Awesome. Thanks folks. I've been collecting coins as an amateur for a long time and come across similar cases to this. This one was just a lot more apparent so I wasn't sure if I came across something of value (I didn't think so since it wasn't a well known date.) I 22 Morgan silver dollars that I hope I get to post around here and there. Hopefully I have them graded soon. Just recently went through a move so I have to find them. Ha

I'm with Greg, Greenstang and Coinbuf.....definite machine doubling.  It's quite interesting to look at on your coin as it's a rather dramatic example, I have to say.  Though it adds no value to the coin, it's still a cool find.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/16/2021 at 7:48 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Tis true - machine doubling.  Don't fret, I made the same mistake... and, I would be willing to bet a Wheat Penny that many collectors here have an example of MD that they have saved (I know I have a few neat looking ones).

Yep.  I have a few on Canadian Nickel Dollars.  That series has a lot of machine doubling, actually.  

On 12/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

If you have not already, you may want to do a little research before submitting Morgans to a TPG.  Blazing high grades and tougher key dates are generally worth submitting.  If your Morgans are circulated and more common, you may may be better off investing in a Dansco album and enjoying the coins that way.  The memberships, grading fees and shipping will significantly eat-into (and may even eclipse) the value of the common/worn coins.

Now - maybe you just want them slabbed, graded and preserved.  There is certainly nothing wrong with that - just want you to go-in "eyes wide open".

Well said on all counts, Neo.  I cannot think of a single thing to add.  You nailed this one!