• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gem Graded Coins
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 12:07 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

What is the difference between a Gem coin and say a “B.U.” one? Is the Gem a Proof coin and the B.U. an M.S. strike?

Proof coins have a mirror or frosted like background due to the special dies and use a deeper striking process while mint state coins use just a normal striking process. A brilliant  uncirculated coin is a coin that has some wear but is no no longer in circulation basically but I may be wrong.

The ASE in my picture is of a 1986 proof ASE.

Edited by Tony Follis

On 12/14/2021 at 2:26 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Thanks Lem! That was a good read.

However, the article did not discuss PROOF coins. 

You can buy proof coins directly from the US mint or various other places and compare the proof coin to a normal circulation issue coin.

Gem
Adjectival description applied to Mint State and Proof-65 coins. It also is used for higher grades and as a generic term for a superb coin.

So, just to be clear, “Gem” is a term associated mostly with the “MS” grouping of coins, but not usually “Proof” ones? I do have “PF” 67, 68 & 69 coins, so is it safe to say these are “Gem Proofs” or would that be silly?

(asking for a friend just in case it turns out to be a dumb question🤣)

On 12/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

So, just to be clear, “Gem” is a term associated mostly with the “MS” grouping of coins, but not usually “Proof” ones? I do have “PF” 67, 68 & 69 coins, so is it safe to say these are “Gem Proofs” or would that be silly?

"Gem" implies a grade of 65 or better.  If it is graded Gem by NGC, it is.  If it's "Gem BU" or "Gem Proof" sold raw by a dealer, do not be surprised if you send it in to be graded and it comes back MS62-MS64.

If you have PF 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 graded coins, you have a "Gem Proof" collection.  But if you know it's a 67, that's better than just a "gem" since in that case it just implies it as "at least" 65 in uncertain terms.

Edited by BlakeEik

On 12/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Gem grade is MS65 or PF65.  Superb Gem grade is MS67 or PF67.

I see "Gem Proof" on modern coins or commemoratives where they didn't give a specific grade number.