• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gem Graded Coins
1 1

8 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 12:07 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

What is the difference between a Gem coin and say a “B.U.” one? Is the Gem a Proof coin and the B.U. an M.S. strike?

Gem coins are rated 65 or 66 (they might be higher).   Superb Gem quality refers to 67 and up. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, Woods020 said:

These terms do have meaning and Goldfinger explained. However, they are also used often by unscrupulous sellers to hype a coin without giving an actual grade. eBay for example won’t allow uncertified coins be described by grade. Not to say that all uses of the terms is bad so consider where you are reading it but want to make you aware. 

I think the marketers who have large coins to submit can get the "Gem Proof" designation for less than what a number grade would cost.  So the coin is somewhere between an MS or PF 65-70.  Whether the marketers have screened them and know that no 67 or higher coins are likely I can't say.

When a numismatist or a TPG uses the term Gem for classic coins....they mean 65 or 66.  Superb Gem means 67-69 (assuming 70 is unattainable).

When I've bought a new Gem Proof coin/commemorative, I've generally paid $$$ appropriate for 65-67 coins.....the Big $$$ is when the coins come back 70 or 69.  When you get to 68 or lower, it's not much difference for the coins I've seen (except when dealing with large coins like 5 ouncers).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 12/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Gem coins are rated 65 or 66 (they might be higher).   Superb Gem quality refers to 67 and up. 

Never really gave it much thought even though I hear, or read, the term "Gem" quite often. I have wondered about this same question pertaining to 'Gem coins' and the true meaning even though I have heard other less accurate explanations in the past.  Good info and post @GoldFinger1969.  Still learning here and I learned something new and valuable today, thanks!(thumbsu

Edit: our post crossed @RWB.  Very good info regarding the meaning of the MS terms used such as- Select, Choice, Gem, etc..... Thanks.

Edited by GBrad