• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Go”B”we trust
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum. I would say that it has taken a hit and displaced the metal or it is some sort of die chip. Leaning more towards the first from the looks of the first pic and the general condition of the coin. Likely PMD (Post Mint Damage). The head looks like it may be some type of lamination though. Not quite sure what is going on there. 

As far as the trustworthiness of your coin dealer, I can’t say. Even if these are true mint errors, which I am not saying they are or aren’t, I don’t think this coin is going to be worth more than face value in the condition it is in. Die chips are really not uncommon. Laminations, while interesting, won’t raise the value of this coin by much if at all. If it is all PMD then it is worth 1 cent. If you could post pics of the whole coin front and back, people can get a better look and give you more information and opinions. I don’t think this coin would be worth the trouble, but let some of the other members here have a look and they will give their opinions and advice. 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:59 AM, Lem E said:

Welcome to the forum. I would say that it has taken a hit and displaced the metal or it is some sort of die chip. Leaning more towards the first from the looks of the first pic and the general condition of the coin. Likely PMD (Post Mint Damage). The head looks like it may be some type of lamination though. Not quite sure what is going on there. 

I welcome you to the forum. Most of the members here have been working with coins a long time. I have to agree with LEM it looks like the coin was hit in just the right spot to make the D look like a B I will say it is PMD also. Sorry not a mint error.

On 12/13/2021 at 3:05 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

Last question for today I promise, does this look like a triple ear to you?

No. 

99% of errors, while interesting to some, are of no to very little value. If you enjoy error hunting that's great, keep looking,  you'll eventually find some.

Here are a few sites to reference while checking for errors.

http://www.varietyvista.com/

https://www.error-ref.com/

https://doubleddie.com/

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/

Welcome to the forum!  @Lem E and @Fenntucky Mike, two experienced collectors, have given you some very good advice and links which will help further your understanding and knowledge of what a Mint error looks like.  I agree that your first coin suffered damage to the D at some point in its life and your second coin is not a tripled ear as Mike also stated.  Work on your picture taking some so that when you post your coins, they will be clear, cropped and crisp. (thumbsu

On 12/13/2021 at 2:09 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

If this is from the mint like this can I trust a local coin dealer to help me out? I have no clue how to get my coins looked at, and I am thinking of selling some of them.

No. It is post-mint damage. No collector value.

Yep just damaged and the second coin is not tripled.    And even if the first coin was a minor error like a die chip or lamination the condition of that coin would reduce its value to almost nothing anyway.   For an error or variety coin to be worth much value it needs to be dramatic enough and also in decent enough shape to be considered collectable, very few coins like the first one you posted are desirable to most collectors.