• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing coins

Pricing coins  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you go to first when researching a coin's value prior to purchasing?

• NGC Price Guide
    • PCGS Price Guide
    • Greysheet / CPG Market Review
    • Red Book
    • Auctions
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2021 at 10:30 PM

8 posts in this topic

When looking up the value of a coin I am interested in I check several sources and of course find differences. Curious to know where others go first when buying. Do you go to the same source or a different one when selling?

I only buy NGC graded coins but I buy them from various places and I never pay the value that NGC has listed for the coin. Now with that being said a coin is only worth as much as someone's willing to pay for it regardless of the listed value by any source. For example, I recently purchased a NGC graded MS70 2013 Burnished ASE for a total $91.16 on ebay while NGC has that coins value listed at $150.00. I use the NGC price guide to help me figure out the most I'm willing to pay for the coin without overpaying.

Edited by Tony Follis

eBay sold listings. Mixed with eBay for sale /auctions. Ngc very important to get an upper idea. Same as pcgs. Google search. 
Finally. The bigger auction houses allow you to look and prices realized as well as current offerings can really help. I am not a big player and so far have never won an item from them but there’s lots of info available. Collect what you like 😉

On 12/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, James Zyskowski said:

eBay sold listings. Mixed with eBay for sale /auctions. Ngc very important to get an upper idea. Same as pcgs. Google search. 
Finally. The bigger auction houses allow you to look and prices realized as well as current offerings can really help. I am not a big player and so far have never won an item from them but there’s lots of info available. Collect what you like 😉

This.  

Like others - I use NGC to get a "max" price and eBay sold listings to get an idea what they are actually selling for. eBay charges sales tax in my state even on bullion coins (which is not required in my state) so that skews the actual purchase price by about 10% - but that is a different rant.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, MN1 said:

When looking up the value of a coin I am interested in I check several sources and of course find differences. Curious to know where others go first when buying. Do you go to the same source or a different one when selling?

PCGS and NGC guides are good for the longer-term TREND.

GC and HA are best for recent prices/sales -- can't beat that. (thumbsu