• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finest Known Reviews?

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone here bought from this company before https://finestknown.com/product/1-20-different-date-and-or-mint-mark-morgan-silver-dollar-collection-ngc-pcgs-ms64/ or know about them? They’re selling Morgan sets and even though I wasn’t looking towards collecting them because I thought it would be to rich for my blood the pricing seems decent but I also don’t know enough about them. I’m only guessing they’re selling uncommon ones but they do state that they come with one from Carlson city. They also have coins from the SS Central America ship wrack. Lol I could only wish to buy one of those gold pieces although I may just buy a nugget instead. But yeah I haven’t gone through everything they have. Hopefully it’s something new to someone here and they find what they want from this site in any case I thought I’d check here for reviews if there’s someone that knows.

Welcome 

Morgans are lovely. Good collectible series. :tonofbricks:  Problem is there are a lot! Of varieties and fakes  Not to mention the arguments about grade,conditions etc. I highly suggest you study study study before entering the world of Morgan’s. This is a very good place to come with questions.  NGC and PCGS have a lot of material available. 
It can be a great series but there’s a bunch to know to avoid a train wreck. 
Best practice grading or learn the websites about grading.  I’ll leave with this thought. Buy what you like, buy the coin not the holder. ( coins can turn ( spots or tarnish) while being slabbed    That’s a lot to think about. Good luck JZ 😉

Keith I would certainly consider these as they are all NGC ms63 coins. Being. Ms63 s  , I would feel more confident buying these than anything on EBay. I’m surprised that they didn’t at least put them in an NGC box. There are fakes and scrubbers out there   Especially Morgan’s. If you can get them to give you some serial numbers , than you could verify them. You don’t need all of them. I verified the $33,000 CC as being NGC ms61 with an NGC price guide of $30,000 so now I feel more confident about the rest of them . A hundred bucks a coin for MS63 NGC slabs is right on in my opinion. 

I have not bought from them or heard any reviews of them.   However most bulk buys like this tend not to be good for the buyer.   The ad only says that you will receive 20 graded Morgan dollars and one of them will be an MS64 CC dollar.   But I do not see anywhere in the ad that all the coins will be in mint state condition, or that they all will be graded by NGC (only implied from the photo).   If anyone actually sees that the seller is offering 20 Morgan dollars all graded by NGC and all grading MS64 with one being a CC, please indicate where you found that info.   $2,500 for 20 is $125 a coin, except for the CC dollar that is a steep premium to pay if the coins are not all MS64.

My guess is that you will receive 20 graded Morgan dollars (graded by whom is questionable) but AU or lower with one common date MS64 CC dollar.   I am also guessing that if you bought this and then tried to resell the 20 coins you would be lucky to get back $1,000. but that is just speculation based on the very ambiguous and unspecific nature of the ad's language.   Before you buy any bulk "deals" like this I suggest that you contact the seller and receive from them in writing just exactly what (what years, mintmarks, and grade) you will be receiving.  

When an ad includes the words "a highly sought specimen," run away, or at least turn around and take another path. The "coin" offered is likely price 50% to 75% over its real FMV.

This ad also includes some substantial bologna:

"This starter set introduced by our company some 20 years ago has been responsible for countless of investors and collectors to pursue the endeavor of building a world class collection of this legendary series of American numismatics."

How many is "countless" ? How were they identified? Investors and collectors -- really? Define "world class"  -- especially if the coins are generic MS-64 --- which is a mediocre condition for unc Morgan dollars.... Etc., etc.   .....

Edited by RWB

I don’t know this company either. Just food for thought you rarely see “package” deals be worthwhile. Unless you are buying a collection from a collector or their family, you will almost (99%+) do much better buying the coins individually. For what you will pay here, for exactly what is a big question, you can hand pick very appealing examples that speak to your eye for less than this. 

Another general rule I’ve come to learn. If the listing is less than crystal clear, it’s for a reason. You see a lot of similar ads saying they are liquidating an estate and you will receive 3 of x, 2 of y, etc.. They try to make people think there is a chance of hitting it big and getting something special but that is all a ploy. 

Again take your time and buy the coins individually and get exactly what you like. And probably cheaper. 

I just went out to their website.  I do not know every series, but I am starting to know Half Cents pretty well.  They have a 1833 in PR64BN. I would argue that it's slightly over graded, but the coin has a mintage of 30.  Their $10,000 price is almost bid ($9,600), and very few "good" half cents sell at or under bid (unless nabbed at auction).  I am intrigued.

That said, I do agree with @Woods020, buying a set in one shot is almost always going to lead to sub-par results.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist