• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

195 cent
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I'm with the Hoopster.....definite grease filled die.  But it's very cool looking.  That's a pretty nice find.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:24 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Very cool.  Congratulations :golfclap:got to love a winner!  Grease does make some cool things happen to coins 😉

This is true.  Years ago, I found a 1999-D Delaware Quarter where grease had filled the last "7" on the "1787" date on the reverse.  I showed it to someone who I knew back then and he offered me a couple bucks for and I took him up on it.  It was actually the very first coin I ever sold as an adult and made a profit on, small as that profit might have been.  

Very neat find @Patman54, good job!  I love greasers.  The more grease, the better.  I have one somewhere I found in a bank roll where IGWT is completely missing.

I was really bored ;) so I did a little photo editing to your third pic which seemed to me to maybe show a numeral.  Anyway..... here's what I came up with.  Looks like it could 'possibly' be an 8 to me but there's a lot of chatter around that area which could be misleading.  Doesn't matter though, still a cool coin and we will never know (which I think is the best part) what that last number is.

Picture_20213310103327.thumb.jpg.507ac1a6b337d011888d34f2b611ed21.jpg

Edited by GBrad

On 12/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, Just Bob said:

I am about to look really smart or really dumb, but I am going out on a limb and say that is a 1952 Lincoln.

I was thinking 1952 myself, Bob.

I'm still extremely bored here in Georgia where it has been pouring rain all day. Luckily we missed any really bad weather and I hope all of you in the path of that strong line of wind and thunderstorms here down South did as well.  I have had nothing better to do today than spend an hour looking at coins (not a bad thing), spend an hour online (not bad either), spend 5 minutes on the honeydew list  (edited on purpose, not fun....) and finding time to play around with coin pictures.

OK......I will meet you guys halfway!! I will give you a 2.  Albeit backwards!  :facepalm: 

Picture_20213310103327.thumb.jpg.507ac1a6b337d011888d34f2b611ed21.jpg.b6680a7411cf3b9f872797be97f46509.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, Just Bob said:

Actually, I was basing my guess on other parts of the coin.

Yes, I agree completely.  The position of the numbers in the date of a 1952, amongst other things, does resemble the op's coin. The 9 in the date of a 1952 is ever so slightly lower than that of a 1958 from what I can discern.  There are other 'markers' as well, including differences in IGWT and LIBERTY, that I recognized prior to submitting my first comment about it being a 1958. I just thought I could see an 8 despite the other factors involved that you mentioned.  I wrote these 'other parts of the coin' off as just PMD and went with what I thought I could see.  Good observation @Just Bob, of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!(thumbsu