• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Italian 20 Eurocent Defect Coin

31 posts in this topic

All I see are what appear to be die chips/die breaks at the base of the sculpture and I can't imagine that adding any significant value to this coin. Is that what you are asking about?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
More Info

On 12/11/2021 at 11:26 AM, George77 said:

I am sorry but i do not agree

I just went and took a look over at ebay and there are sellers asking between $5 and $25 for this coin with similar die chips/breaks, some not as advanced as yours and some similar or more extensive. There is one joker asking 2k+. doh! In my quick researching die chips/breaks in that area seam to be common and given the apparent frequency at which they occur, plus the less than dramatic appearance, I would put a low premium on this coin. It's an interesting error, but I wouldn't consider it monetarily valuable. 

Do you have any additional information on the coin, and why it would be considered valuable? Who is saying that it is valuable?

On 12/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I just went and took a look over at ebay and there are sellers asking between $5 and $25 for this coin with similar die chips/breaks, some not as advanced as yours and some similar or more extensive. There is one joker asking 2k+. doh! In my quick researching die chips/breaks in that area seam to be common and given the apparent frequency at which they occur, plus the less than dramatic appearance, I would put a low premium on this coin. It's an interesting error, but I wouldn't consider it monetarily valuable. 

Do you have any additional information on the coin, and why it would be considered valuable? Who is saying that it is valuable?

Die chips/breaks? It seems like an over mintmark....there is no way you found a coin like that at the region of 25 dollars, if you did please send me the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175045559726?hash=item28c18745ae:g:CkYAAOSwmvtcyHz0 Not as extensive as yours, $8.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304172425525?hash=item46d216e135:g:J~gAAOSwyGhbeAfG Not as extensive as yours $7.33

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303602093636?hash=item46b0184e44:g:x6QAAOSw0qdcqI5C Not as extensive as yours $28.22

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303602094066?hash=item46b0184ff2:g:Q-4AAOSwaFNcqJC2 Not as extensive as yours $28.22

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363431267445?hash=item549e310c75:g:eIkAAOSw139gw426 Lot of seven coins two of which look to have die chips/breaks one similar to yours. $9.55

1170375332_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.def98a7a6e8ea8c1b2ad650bd7f0fde7.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, George77 said:

It seems like an over mintmark.

Nope, not a doubled die either. Again, I'm talking about the base of the sculpture. 

On 12/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175045559726?hash=item28c18745ae:g:CkYAAOSwmvtcyHz0 Not as extensive as yours, $8.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304172425525?hash=item46d216e135:g:J~gAAOSwyGhbeAfG Not as extensive as yours $7.33

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303602093636?hash=item46b0184e44:g:x6QAAOSw0qdcqI5C Not as extensive as yours $28.22

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303602094066?hash=item46b0184ff2:g:Q-4AAOSwaFNcqJC2 Not as extensive as yours $28.22

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363431267445?hash=item549e310c75:g:eIkAAOSw139gw426 Lot of seven coins two of which look to have die chips/breaks one similar to yours. $9.55

1170375332_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.def98a7a6e8ea8c1b2ad650bd7f0fde7.jpg

Nope, not a doubled die either. Again, I'm talking about the base of the sculpture. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/284438708939

https://www.ebay.at/itm/284438708939?hash=item4239de42cb:g:k50AAOSwxHRhKoT5

https://www.ebay.de/itm/294588815438

On 12/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, George77 said:

People put sky high sell prices on coins all the time hoping for some poor soul to buy them. None of the coins you provided links to are worth those asking prices, not even close, but that doesn't mean they won't get sold. Those listings were put up by, either, people who don't know any better or hucksters trying to take advantage of a new collector. If those prices were real there would be zero similar coins available at lower prices. 

On 12/11/2021 at 9:55 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

People put sky high sell prices on coins all the time hoping for some poor soul to buy them. None of the coins you provided links to are worth those asking prices, not even close, but that doesn't mean they won't get sold. Those listings were put up by, either, people who don't know any better or hucksters trying to take advantage of a new collector. If those prices were real there would be zero similar coins available at lower prices. 

Is this you professional opinion?

On 12/11/2021 at 7:18 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Is this also your professional opinion?

On 12/11/2021 at 3:56 PM, George77 said:
On 12/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Is this you professional opinion?

On 12/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, George77 said:
On 12/11/2021 at 12:18 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Is this also your professional opinion?

Yes, these are my opinions as a dude on a chat board.

If you want to ask NGC a question you should post here: https://boards.ngccoin.com/forum/9-ask-ngcncs/

On 12/13/2021 at 2:09 PM, Morpheus1967 said:

I will never understand folks like this.  

No kidding.  This was ridiculous.  Yet another person with an essentially worthless coin arguing with someone knowledgeable who tells them the truth.  To the OP....you need to look at completed listings on eBay to get a true idea of a coin's value from eBay listings.  That way, you can see what they actually sold for if any sold at all.  People can list things at any price they want on eBay.  I could go on today and list a bottle of the water I took out of my aquarium doing a water change for $1,000,000.  But that doesn't make a bottle of old aquarium water worth $1,000,000.  That is the flaw in your whole argument.  Please go look at eBay completed listings for coins like yours.

Edited by Mohawk

To post asking prices as evidence of a coin's value is to stand out in the middle of a plaza bellowing one's lack of knowledge for all to hear. As Tom explains, only sold listings signify anything. Anything else is just random numbers. I get why people get irritable, though. It's embarrassing to look ridiculous in public. Some folks' natural instinct is to double down rudely when they don't like what they're hearing.

I think we need a subforum for people who don't really want any new information, just their preconceptions confirmed. We could call it Newbie Preconception Confirmation Requests. Everyone who doesn't want the honest truth could just post their requests there and see if anyone will confirm them. Maybe newbies could even perform this service for one another.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:38 PM, George77 said:

The people who posted those have lost their mind. I wouldnt give $20.00 for all of them together.  

On 12/13/2021 at 7:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The people who posted those have lost their mind. I wouldnt give $20.00 for all of them together.  

No kidding.  If I were in Europe and I found them, I'd likely just spend them again and hope a kid or a new collector found them.  They're probably not worth much more than face, if anything over it, actually.  Maybe old George77 needs to track down SlickCoins or Ratzie33.....that's probably the only way he'd ever manage to sell the thing.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mohawk said:

I could go on today and list a bottle of the water I took out of my aquarium doing a water change for $1,000,000.  But that doesn't make a bottle of old aquarium water worth $1,000,000. 

Let's get to the good stuff.  What type of fish do you keep?  How large is the aquarium?  

On 12/14/2021 at 4:29 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Let's get to the good stuff.  What type of fish do you keep?  How large is the aquarium?  

Myself i just have a 55 gallon. I have 1 mystery snail, 1 bumblebee catfish, 1 pictus catfish, 2 cory catfish, 2 Danio glowfish, 1 tetra, and 2 minnows I caught out of the creek. I love my fish. I can sit and watch them for hours if I had the time. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Myself i just have a 55 gallon. I have 1 mystery snail, 1 bumblebee catfish, 1 pictus catfish, 2 cory catfish, 2 Danio glowfish, 1 tetra, and 2 minnows I caught out of the creek. I love my fish. I can sit and watch them for hours if I had the time. 

Love the corys, but man watch out.  If they start breeding you'll be in trouble lol.  But if you can, I would add a few more of the corydoras.  They are extremely social fish and do best in groups of 5-6.  In a 55 you should have plenty of room.  

On 12/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Love the corys, but man watch out.  If they start breeding you'll be in trouble lol.  But if you can, I would add a few more of the corydoras.  They are extremely social fish and do best in groups of 5-6.  In a 55 you should have plenty of room.  

I probably will. I really enjoy them. Would like to add a couple more pandas and an albino or two. Got 1 panda and one pepper. Would like to have a skunk or julii also. Add some diversity. The pepper and panda love to hang out together. 

On 12/14/2021 at 4:29 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Right now, I just have a single Plakat Betta with a Marimo Moss Ball in a six gallon.  Our apartment is kind of small and we already have our Box Turtle, whose enclosure takes up a lot of space.  But I love Bettas and I love fish keeping, so I'm happy with my little Hisako (his name) and his smaller tank.  In the past, thought, when I've had more space I've kept all kinds of tropical freshwater fish and goldfish.  But Bettas are some of my faves.....they have a ton of personality and each one is such a unique individual, I've found.  How about you Morpheus?  Do you keep fish?

On 12/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Man, I'd love a 55!!! I wish I had the space!! At this point, I have no idea what I'd put in it because I'd be like a kid in a candy store!! 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, Mohawk said:

Right now, I just have a single Plakat Betta with a Marimo Moss Ball in a six gallon.  Our apartment is kind of small and we already have our Box Turtle, whose enclosure takes up a lot of space.  But I love Bettas and I love fish keeping, so I'm happy with my little Hisako (his name) and his smaller tank.  In the past, thought, when I've had more space I've kept all kinds of tropical freshwater fish and goldfish.  But Bettas are some of my faves.....they have a ton of personality and each one is such a unique individual, I've found.  How about you Morpheus?  Do you keep fish?

I used to keep them.  Had a Betta in a 20 gallon, and the I had a community 125 gallon tank.  Back in the day, I had a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank, and I also had a 75 gallon with a lone Oscar in it.  Loved that fish.  

Here is the community 125.  I had several types of catfish, but the corydoras eventually overwhelmed the tank with their breeding.  This was before I started adding fish, while the tank was cycling.  The centerpiece of this ended up being a green severum.  

125.jpg.51b7f217fefdee17c043ffe906f60885.jpg

Here is Ickey, our betta.  Wife is a Cincinnati Bengals fan, he had the colors, hence he was named after Ickey Woods.

Icky.thumb.jpg.360842e3ab8e4b9e2a7e950ed966fd2a.jpg

And this was the best fish of all time.  This is a 48" 75 gallon tank, so you can see how large he got.  The tank is so sparse because that is all he would allow in there.  He tore everything else up.  His favorite thing was to swim around with a golf ball in his mouth.  This is Melvyn.  Oscars are truly wet dogs.

Melvyn.JPG.cfdd00f75e33ea78ed71c02323559f13.JPG

Edited by Morpheus1967

My tank has finally cycled. Took it a few months.  Was planning on adding some more now that the biological filter has been established. Will probably order some after the first of the year. If we get a few warm days in a row to ship them. 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Mohawk said:

Man, I'd love a 55!!! I wish I had the space!! At this point, I have no idea what I'd put in it because I'd be like a kid in a candy store!! 

I would love to go bigger. If I knew my floor would hold the weight.  May have to crawl under the house and add some extra braces and add a 200 gal. 

On 12/14/2021 at 12:03 PM, Morpheus1967 said:

I used to keep them.  Had a Betta in a 20 gallon, and the I had a community 125 gallon tank.  Back in the day, I had a 125 gallon African Cichlid tank, and I also had a 75 gallon with a lone Oscar in it.  Loved that fish.  

Here is the community 125.  I had several types of catfish, but the corydoras eventually overwhelmed the tank with their breeding.  This was before I started adding fish, while the tank was cycling.  The centerpiece of this ended up being a green severum.  

125.jpg.51b7f217fefdee17c043ffe906f60885.jpg

Here is Ickey, our betta.  Wife is a Cincinnati Bengals fan, he had the colors, hence he was named after Ickey Woods.

Icky.thumb.jpg.360842e3ab8e4b9e2a7e950ed966fd2a.jpg

And this was the best fish of all time.  This is a 48" 75 gallon tank, so you can see how large he got.  The tank is so sparse because that is all he would allow in there.  He tore everything else up.  His favorite thing was to swim around with a golf ball in his mouth.  This is Melvyn.  Oscars are truly wet dogs.

Melvyn.JPG.cfdd00f75e33ea78ed71c02323559f13.JPG

Very cool Ocsar. Would love to have one. Got some friends usdd to have one. 

On 12/14/2021 at 12:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I would love to go bigger. If I knew my floor would hold the weight.  May have to crawl under the house and add some extra braces and add a 200 gal. 

I hear you there.  Our apartment is the second floor of a house built in 1850.  This fact plays a big role in my present status as a micro-aquarist.  

On 12/14/2021 at 8:38 PM, Mohawk said:

I hear you there.  Our apartment is the second floor of a house built in 1850.  This fact plays a big role in my present status as a micro-aquarist.  

Down stair neighbor may get a suprise if you put one to big. Lol.