• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is half a WAM better than none
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have three shots all of 2000 Lincolns.  The first is normal a normal die ,the second is a WAM  the third is just corrosion making the gap wider or is it a different die ? everything is thinner even the pillars . Just thought I would post this for fun. It has been way to serious around here lately 

S20211210_0001.jpg

S20211210_0002.jpg

S20211210_0003.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke

Hey @J P Mashoke.  Definitely a nice WAM in the second pic.  I'm with @Coinbuf on the third pic by the looks of the surface of the fields. The left leg of the M looks a bit thinner than normal to me.  You may already know this but I will throw it out here for those that don't.  When in doubt as to wether or not you have a 1998, 1999, or a 2000 WAM, there are two other key determining factors you should look for.  Look at the position of the A in STATES. On a WAM, the A will be directly centered between the T's in STATES.  On a normal cent (or a normal CAM for the '99,'98 and 2000 year Cents) the A will be shifted closer to the T on the right side of the A such as ST ATES. The other thing, and more pronounced, to look for is the positioning of the designer's initials, FG, in relationship to how close or far they are from the corner/base of the Memorial.  There is an inverse relationship here to the position/location of FG.  A WAM will show the FG initials closer to the Memorial. A normal Cent (being considered a Close AM) will show the designer's initials further from the base of the memorial.  In addition, a bit of trivia I recently learned about WAM's (supposedly from a reputable source), is that the A in AMERICA is not the letter that has been "moved".  The M in AMERICA is actually the letter that was moved which produces the wideness (I think I got that explanation correct....lol).  Just FYI in case someone comes across this thread while studying or learning.  

Edited by GBrad
Misinformation about placement of the A in STATES

On 12/10/2021 at 2:02 PM, GBrad said:

Hey @J P Mashoke.  Definitely a nice WAM in the second pic.  I'm with @Coinbuf on the third pic by the looks of the surface of the fields. The left leg of the M looks a bit thinner than normal to me.  You may already know this but I will throw it out here for those that don't.  When in doubt as to wether or not you have a 1998, 1999, or a 2000 WAM, there are two other key determining factors you should look for.  Look at the position of the A in STATES. The bottom left leg of the A will be ever so slightly closer to the letter T to the left.  The other thing, and more pronounced, to look for is the positioning of the designer's initials, FG, in relationship to how close or far they are from the corner/base of the Memorial.  There is an inverse relationship here to the position/location of FG.  A WAM will show the FG initials closer to the Memorial. A normal Cent (being considered a Close AM) will show the designer's initials further from the base of the memorial.  In addition, a bit of trivia I recently learned about WAM's (supposedly from a reputable source), is that the A in AMERICA is not the letter that has been "moved".  The M in AMERICA is actually the letter that was moved which produces the wideness (I think I got that explanation correct....lol).  Just FYI in case someone comes across this thread while studying or learning.  

That is a great explanation Greg. I knew all the other stuff but the A in States is a new one to me .  See I learned something new today that is why I love doing silly posts  

On 12/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, Coinbuf said:

The third one is just a normal coin that has been attacked b a corrosive substance that ate away at the surface and devices.

And yes Coinbuf I did know the 3rd coin was a normal coin that was corroded thanks for commenting,  Everything looks skinny so it makes the spacing look larger. I see this kind of thing a lot when roll hunting. So I added the extra coin as a learning device to lighten things up without getting anyone too upset I hope.

@J P Mashoke  thanks for the compliment.  However, I had it completely backwards about the A in STATES.  On a WAM, the A will be directly centered between the T's in STATES.  On a regular Cent (CAM) the right leg of the A will be closer to the T on the right side of the A . I am going back to my original post to fix this info now.  But... There is a noticeable difference in the placement of the A in STATES in regards to a WAM and CAM.  Sorry for my mistake.  

Edited by GBrad
I can't spell today🙄. Got my T's and S's mixed up

The third on is a CAM die that has had some die polishing done to it.  As the field is ground down the relief gets shallower and the distance separating design features increases.  So the A and M are a little further apart, but is the M and E so it retains the same imbalance of distances that identify it as a CAM cent.