• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of doubling or not 1946S dime

13 posts in this topic

Hey @James Zyskowski.  My first observation is this: You need to plug your phone into a charger (couldn't resist, sorry) :bigsmile:.  Looks like a worn out die to me too as @bsshog40 stated.  Lots of flow lines apparent and the devices look large and mushy (which these dimes seem to regularly have).  However, there are several RPM's for this year and mint.  Can't really tell anything from your pic of the reverse. The only RPM that looks like yours could be, if it just so happened to be an RPM, is http://varietyvista.com/07 Roosevelt Dimes/RPM Detail Files/1946SRPM007.htm  and I'm not sure it is even in the same location.  I say this because of the location of the mm on your coin in relation to the base of the torch.  Check it out and let us know. (thumbsu  

First. My nic-name on pcgs is Mr.2percent. I burn through the batteries but always have a charged backup ready to go.  I see what you guys are saying. New to studying Roosies. Funny , I’ve held and looked at lots but until I started collecting did I notice. I’ll get this figured out. Thanks JZ 

Edited by James Zyskowski

On 12/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, James Zyskowski said:

I burn through the batteries but always have a charged backup ready to go.  

In my best @Hoghead515 impersonation: Golllll-Leeeee...... ain't them battery backup chargers the cats meow!!!! xD

Edited by GBrad

On 12/9/2021 at 7:25 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Ya James, Dimes are hard to see in photos and even in hand, there are a ton of verities on the 1946 S you may have to do some investigating. But that is part of the fun. 

There are a ton of varieties on Roosies for sure, JP. James, you're in for an adventure with Roosies, I think.  There's a lot of cool stuff to look for in the series, both in the silvers and the clads.  

On 12/9/2021 at 12:56 PM, Mohawk said:

There's a lot of cool stuff to look for in the series, both in the silvers and the clads.  

@James Zyskowski Just something to be on the lookout for.  There is a very little known variety that exists on the clad Dime known as the reverse of 1968 that is found on the 1970 and 1971 Dimes (I believe those are the correct dates). Don't quote this as I'm going from memory on the year of this variety but it is recognized by TPG's as a variety.  It deals with the torch flame design element.  It is very easy to see. It's basically a more defined/detailed torch flame with an extra indentation in the flame. Kind of hard to explain but PCGS lists it as a known variety and I think they have good pictures to show you what to look for.  They are fairly pricey for higher grades from what I remember.  I have found many of them in the past.  I actually found one that was well into the MS category but I can't find it now for the life of medoh!!!!! ARGH!!!! Anyway, I think the info I supplied is accurate if I'm correct about the dates (can't remember which mm's but I believe both Philly and Denver struck them).  I remember posting this Dime here on the forum a long time ago for confirmation when I discovered one. I think @Conder101 gave a good explanation about it (once again.... going off my feeble memory). You may want to use the search engine here on the forum to see if you can pull up that thread and see what I'm talking about.  Good luck my friend.  

Edit: I just looked ATS and I was mistaken for the years of this variety.  The correct years are 1969-P, 1970-P and 1970-D. Only these three years in MS, no proofs were involved.  https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/detail/511014  Hope this helps.(thumbsu

Edited by GBrad
More info

On 12/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, GBrad said:

Kind of hard to explain but PCGS lists it as a known variety and I think they have good pictures to show you what to look for.  

You do realize that our esteemed hosts also have a Variety Plus section that gives information about coins like this, right? 

(Picture below courtesy of NGC)

Here is a link to the Roosevelt dime varieties:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/roosevelt-dimes-1946-date/

818697-1-1535737860.jpg

On 12/9/2021 at 2:05 PM, Just Bob said:

You do realize that our esteemed hosts also have a Variety Plus section that gives information about coins like this, right? 

(Picture below courtesy of NGC)

Here is a link to the Roosevelt dime varieties:

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/dimes/roosevelt-dimes-1946-date/

818697-1-1535737860.jpg

@Just Bob Thank you for the recognition of our esteemed host.  Even though I have been an NGC member for a little while, and my greatest love in collecting are predominately errors and varieties, I did not know this link, or information it supplies, was on this website.  Evidently I have overlooked the link that leads to this section. Since joining NGC, I have always stuck to the chat boards and the NGC price guide. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  Much appreciated.   

Edited by GBrad

On 12/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, GBrad said:

@Just Bob Thank you for the recognition of our esteemed host.  Even though I have been an NGC member for a little while, and my greatest love in collecting are predominately errors and varieties, I did not know this link, or information it supplies, was on this website.  Evidently I have overlooked the link that leads to this section. Since joining NGC, I have always stuck to the chat boards and the NGC price guide. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  Much appreciated.   

Much appreciated…..