• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 quarter SMS Strike Damage
1 1

24 posts in this topic

This is not a DD or MD. Looks like the mint took the old chips off the block. Whatever it was,  chewed This coin up. You can see parts of the letters just took some badly hits through the striking of the coin. Interesting to know how this was done. Any information on this would help. Thanks Joe 

20211205_193504.jpg

20211205_193357.jpg

20211205_193246.jpg

20211205_192800.jpg

20211205_192938.jpg

20211205_193045.jpg

Looks like PMD.  Almost looks like someone removed this Quarter from the holder, carried it around for awhile and replaced it.  The damage to that coin, based on your first three pics, does not look like it was created by, or at, the mint during the strike.

On 12/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, GBrad said:

Looks like PMD.  Almost looks like someone removed this Quarter from the holder, carried it around for awhile and replaced it.  The damage to that coin, based on your first three pics, does not look like it was created by, or at, the mint during the strike.

My question is , maybe the employees from the mint are walking around doing this to coins. I'm asking because, where I buy this and alot of other coins are pretty legit. They get all there stuff right from the mint. Hmmm 

It could just be bag marks. These coins did not receive some of the special handling that proof sets did. Yes the dies were polished, but the planchets weren’t and they didn’t avoid contact with other coins. I suggest looking for cleaner examples when evaluating these sets to buy. 

On 12/5/2021 at 8:56 PM, Woods020 said:

It could just be bag marks. These coins did not receive some of the special handling that proof sets did. Yes the dies were polished, but the planchets weren’t and they didn’t avoid contact with other coins. I suggest looking for cleaner examples when evaluating these sets to buy. 

How do you look for cleaner examples to evaluate these sets to buy. When you order anything to buy, that's what you get when the product is in your hand. The only thing I can do is send it back and hopefully get a better set. It's  more complicated then people think. It just happened I got a lemon. 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:06 PM, Hinkle said:

How do you look for cleaner examples to evaluate these sets to buy. When you order anything to buy, that's what you get when the product is in your hand. The only thing I can do is send it back and hopefully get a better set. It's  more complicated then people think. It just happened I got a lemon. 

Hence why most people will tell you to be cautious of buying site unseen. Especially from stock images. Atleast view images of the actual coins. And in person is obviously best. It’s really not complicated. Not being a smart it really is simple. Don’t buy coins you can’t atleast get a decent picture of. 

Are there any coin shops near you? I have no idea where home is for you. But form a relationship with some dealers locally. Most of them will help you and after you form a relationship they can be a big help. Mine calls me periodically when he gets something I may want. These sets are very easy to find with just over 2.2 millions sets minted with little overall demand. A local dealer will either have them or easily be able to get them for you. And if they are a good dealer they will help you evaluate them. They want you to be a long time collector. 

I have all 3 of the SMS sets 65,66 and 67 are not really proof they do have bag marks. I think it even says that in the Red Book. I got lucky on the 66 and 67 but the 65 has some dings and none of the nickels have FS. Sorry to say. I hand picked all the ones I have and I also have a lot of proof sets and if you look hard enough there are some coins that get scratched before they put them in the cases. What the heck look at what is coming out of the mint nowadays is scary. 

I guess I ended up with one bad coin in each set. Here's a pic of a 67 dime it's ethier MD or damaged while being striked .really don't know how something like this can be so perfectly damaged out side the mint, but these big coin outfitters are just like Estey and I need to stay away from. Woods, your right I need to look into finding a coin dealer, I live in a small town and it's about an hour and a half or two to the closest one.

When I say its complicated when ordering coins, all's I'm saying is the company's you buy from isn't going to put you on hold to take the time and personally walk in the warehouse and sort through to find the perfect coin and send you a pic.

20211206_090200.jpg

20211206_090109.jpg

20211206_090010.jpg

20211206_085911.jpg

20211206_085707.jpg

20211206_085429.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Hinkle said:

I guess I ended up with one bad coin in each set. Here's a pic of a 67 dime it's ethier MD or damaged while being striked .really don't know how something like this can be so perfectly damaged out side the mint, but these big coin outfitters are just like Estey and I need to stay away from. Woods, your right I need to look into finding a coin dealer, I live in a small town and it's about an hour and a half or two to the closest one.

When I say its complicated when ordering coins, all's I'm saying is the company's you buy from isn't going to put you on hold to take the time and personally walk in the warehouse and sort through to find the perfect coin and send you a pic.

20211206_090200.jpg

20211206_090109.jpg

20211206_090010.jpg

20211206_085911.jpg

20211206_085707.jpg

20211206_085429.jpg

I understand. Buying online is a major difficulty. I always think if they use stock photos they are doing so for a reason. So they can go grab whatever is laying around. This one is from a late die state. A lot of flow lines it appears. 

Much of what you see on those coins is from the striking of the coin at the mint, not PMD just poor quality control which is nothing new from the mint.   As to the company you bought from, yes there are volume sellers who make their living selling below average material through mail order or via websites.   Often as Woods suggested using a stock photo of a really nice example, these are places to avoid.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, Coinbuf said:

Much of what you see on those coins is from the striking of the coin at the mint, not PMD just poor quality control which is nothing new from the mint.   As to the company you bought from, yes there are volume sellers who make their living selling below average material through mail order or via websites.   Often as Woods suggested using a stock photo of a really nice example, these are places to avoid.

Hi Coinbuf,  I'm a little frustrated and understand what you and Woods are saying about stock images. But when you buy from a trusted company like Littleton co. Your obviously not getting what you're seeing before you buy.

Three 1957 one cent PF67 was purchased. Luckily they were legit in hand. But purchasing a 1945 MS66 one cent that they broadcast on air on TV looked promising ,because it also was graded. So when in hand , the obverse was decent. When I turned it over and looked at the reverse,  it was missing the N in united. I'm going through some boxes trying to find the coin and I'm pretty sure the paper work is with it. I know better next time to keep this stuff near by in cases like this. I'm fortunate that I'm not spending thousands of dollars,  I would be sick to my stomach if I wasn't getting what I was paying for. 

What I'm saying is,  I just need to stay away from them kind of coin  companies . I'll just go back to walking into retail stores and doing it that way. It is better to have the coin in front of you before purchasing for sure. Thanks Joe 

On 12/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, Hinkle said:

What I'm saying is,  I just need to stay away from them kind of coin  companies . I'll just go back to walking into retail stores and doing it that way. It is better to have the coin in front of you before purchasing for sure.

Hey Hinkle.  I haven't read this entire thread but I know you are frustrated.  This happens to the best of us at times. No doubt it is better to personally view a coin in hand before you buy it but sometimes that is just not possible.  If you still have a desire to purchase coins online, I will throw a shout out to L&C Coins.  I have purchased several coins from them.  One of them, an ASE, was graded MS69.  When I received it in the mail I was like, "OH..... Heck NO!!!" It had more contact marks on it than the vehicles involved in a 20 car pile up on an interstate.  I contacted them and without question they didn't hesitate to let me to return the coin.  They replaced it with another ASE, same date, mm and still MS69, and I couldn't have been happier with it.  They have great customer service, at least they did for me.  I believe some other members here have given them kudos too.  Just thought I'd throw this out there for you to consider.  Good luck. 

Edited by GBrad

Dont feel bad @Hinklemy friend. Ive been burned  several times. Espically buying from stock photos. I learned my lesson while back. I think I have a thread on here to about it somewhere. Supposed to been a BU and got one with obvious circulation. Also had scuffs all over it. 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, Alex in PA. said:

And I would like to add Northeast Numismatics (www.northeastcoin.com).  No 'stock' photos on their website.  What you see is what you get.  And I have spent thousands there.

I have also purchased several coins from Northeastcoin. Great place to buy from, but you have to be on your toes. Their new inventory goes out the door quick.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, Hinkle said:

Hi Coinbuf,  I'm a little frustrated and understand what you and Woods are saying about stock images. But when you buy from a trusted company like Littleton co. Your obviously not getting what you're seeing before you buy.

We get it Joe, too many collectors do not get what they want/expect from some of these on-line bulk shops and we all understand your frustration as most of us have been there.   I just want to touch on one point I may not be understanding as I reread your replies.   When I read this comment you made; "They get all there stuff right from the mint." I am wondering if you are under the impression that these SMS sets are bought straight from the mint.

It is true that most (although maybe not all) of the new mint issue items like this years proof sets or mint sets, or ASE's they got much of direct from the mint.   However these big box stores (for lack of a better description) also get their inventory from smaller dealers all over the country.   Small town dealers often buy estates that have lots of current and older mint products, those that they do not have a ready market for they sometimes do sell off to the the large on-line shops.

So going back to the SMS sets like this one you bought the seller you bought from did not buy these from the mint as the mint has none to sell, these sets come from all over and some may have been messed with at some time prior to your seller receiving the set.   As you pointed out the seller does not go into the back room and pick out the nicest set to send to you, it gets pulled of the shelve at random and shipped as ordered.

I just wanted to be sure that you are not under the perception that the seller got this set from the mint directly as that was how I interpreted your comment.   If I have misinterpreted your comment then my apologies.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Right you are.  And why is it that they are always the coins I wanted?  doh!

I think they like to tease you. You see the coin and and think oh hey I want that and it’s sold or on hold. You almost have to check every hour to make sure you don’t miss something.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:58 AM, Hinkle said:

Three 1957 one cent PF67 was purchased. Luckily they were legit in hand. But purchasing a 1945 MS66 one cent that they broadcast on air on TV looked promising ,because it also was graded. So when in hand , the obverse was decent. When I turned it over and looked at the reverse,  it was missing the N in united. I'm going through some boxes trying to find the coin and I'm pretty sure the paper work is with it. I know better next time to keep this stuff near by in cases like this. I'm fortunate that I'm not spending thousands of dollars,  I would be sick to my stomach if I wasn't getting what I was paying for. 

What I'm saying is,  I just need to stay away from them kind of coin  companies . I'll just go back to walking into retail stores and doing it that way. It is better to have the coin in front of you before purchasing for sure. Thanks Joe 

Personally I wouldn’t buy from Littleton, but that’s just me. They don’t really have what I collect so I haven’t really interacted with them, but the prices I’ve seen from them seem to be quite high. You have been given a few good suggestions on other options. I’ll jump on the bandwagon on NE Numismatics. I’ve bought a few really nice coins from them and they have done right by me. We aren’t trying to berate you so please don’t take it that way. Quite the opposite we know what it’s like to spend hard earned money and not get what you expect. We are giving you pointers so you can avoid some of the pitfalls. As many have said anyone who has purchased a fair amount of coins can’t honestly say they haven’t made a bad buy at some point. I’ve made many. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:14 AM, Woods020 said:

Personally I wouldn’t buy from Littleton, but that’s just me. They don’t really have what I collect so I haven’t really interacted with them, but the prices I’ve seen from them seem to be quite high. You have been given a few good suggestions on other options. I’ll jump on the bandwagon on NE Numismatics. I’ve bought a few really nice coins from them and they have done right by me. We aren’t trying to berate you so please don’t take it that way. Quite the opposite we know what it’s like to spend hard earned money and not get what you expect. We are giving you pointers so you can avoid some of the pitfalls. As many have said anyone who has purchased a fair amount of coins can’t honestly say they haven’t made a bad buy at some point. I’ve made many. 

Ive looked through them. They have what I collect but as you say they are way to high on what I collect. I can get the same coin off other trusted sellers Ive bought from before a $100 cheaper. The year and denomination I was looking at anyways. Didnt get the chance to look very long.