• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Average” coin collection?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I believe so.

To be honest I can't I have really seen an 1856.  I was in an antique/thrift store in Bordentown NJ back in the spring/summer.  It was one of those shops where you rent a section for your stuff and the shop handles the sale and takes a commission.  In a flip was "1856 Flying Eagle" for $2,000.  I passed on it.  If graded would have definitely been a Pr1 no doubt.  I could barley make out the eagle and needed a magnifying glass the shop owner let me borrow.  There was no date at all on the coin or hint of one.  It was basically worm flat, pitted, and cleaned to where it was so pink.  It looked like a metal detector find with shovel damage too.  Maybe it was worth the $2,000...if proven to be a 1856 but I really doubt it was.  Who knows?  My guess is the seller figured out what the coin type was, looked up Flying Eagle values and went with 1856 because of values over '57 and '58.  If anyone wants to check into this for themselves to see if still available and try to verify the year, it was Big E's Thrift & Antiques on Rt 130.   Look them up and call.  I'm sure they would know they have (or had it).  If at the store, go directly to the left and it's against a wall that has another large room on the other side with bikes and furniture.  The coin was in a locked glass display that had a small wicker basket with a couple of $1.50 worn Indian cents.  Not looking to send anyone on a wild goose chase or get hopes up.  Like I said I passed on it and had my doubts but as I always say too, I'm not a expert in this field at all.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Aren’t all the 1856 Flyers considered patterns? There was a full blown production of 1856 large cents and 1857 was the transition year from large to small.

As far as I know, Kurt, that's correct.  1857 is rightly considered the proper first year of issue on the FE Cent.  I also think some restrikes of the 1856 were produced later in the 19th Century, so I don't know if a restrike of a pattern is still pattern......now there's a question!

On 12/11/2021 at 2:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Aren’t all the 1856 Flyers considered patterns? 

But, since they are listed in the Red Book, some collectors include them as part of the set. In fact, some of the older albums had a space for the 1856. (Some may do, still.)

On 12/11/2021 at 6:31 PM, Just Bob said:

But, since they are listed in the Red Book, some collectors include them as part of the set. In fact, some of the older albums had a space for the 1856. (Some may do, still.)

Ah, yes.....they are in the Red Book.  That probably explains a lot regarding their status with generations of collectors.  As far as newer albums, the ones I've seen don't have the 1856 spot any longer.  Which makes sense in a couple ways.  One: if a collectors doesn't wish to include that pattern issue, they won't have to stare at a permanently empty hole. Two: I'd imagine that most collectors who do have an 1856 FE Cent likely have it in an NGC or PCGS slab, so it wouldn't go in the album anyway.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:59 PM, MN1 said:

I buy the nicest and best I can afford but primary buy for what I like or find interesting.  Typically US coins from the 1800's (but I do have some from the early 1900's).  I don't have any completed sets at all.  My goal is to have at least one of every coin type.  So while I look for what I don't have I also upgrade on what I do or add to those types when I come across something nice.  Then there are coins I'll just never own like a Flowing Hair Silver Dollar or '1856 Flying Eagle which come to mind for starters. 

The real goal is just to enjoy and admire and one pass on to my nephews and niece.  Hopefully they'll appreciate whatever I end up acquiring in the end.

Howdy. I came up against the “flying eagle “ problem. I had to have one. Without the means to buy one. Wrong.  Check this out. Sure it’s a reproduction but what a reproduction. $32 Graded!  I bought d.Carr’s , in association with Grove Mint- 55 dd. $25  So awesome it makes me dizzy. How about some pictures. These really filled the gap for me, as in hand beats the heck out of pictures. 

92984E1B-C75B-4411-ADF6-9C90CE7B0471.jpeg

23544695-8CDE-478E-8E07-BC92D1C3C2F5.jpeg

4B608A11-D37A-4530-BCFA-2611F7BA8EB2.png

11C8AD03-EBB8-4D50-B5FF-7249658EF96F.png

Edited by James Zyskowski