• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russian Beard Token Replica
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen these.  I thought they were interesting. A modern replica struck in 2019 from the Smithsonian.  They may not appeal to alot of collectors but I found them pretty neat. I got 1 in silver and 1 in copper both certified by NGC. I researched that the silver has a mintage of 5,000 and the copper 15,000. May not ever have a value but be interesting in my private collection. My question is does the Smithsonian strike medals and tokens such as these there or have a private mint do it for them? Also what kind of press do they have? I read these were broadstruck instead of using a collar. Also the silver has been antiqued. How do they antique things?  I could probably look these things up but I like to engage in conversation. If anyone has any negative feedback on them you wont hurt my feelings. I enjoy critisim just as much as positive feedback. Thank you to all Polish_20211127_224052633.thumb.jpg.c23c32f698ff8430750bc2f1321cf711.jpgPolish_20211127_224139550.thumb.jpg.16ac582394d27e7378fdcd2919c5d047.jpg

These fakes are struck on contract for SI. Since the tokens were never used as money, they are nominally legal....but it remains of questionable ethical appropriateness.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Peter the Great (ruled 1682-1725) was determined to modernize Russia, which he saw as backward and something of a laughing stock to Europeans. In the 1690s he ordered anyone associated with his palace and government to cut off their beards, which were not in fashion in Europe at the time. Those who failed to comply, primarily the Boyars, were required to pay a beard tax of 100 rubles per year.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, RWB said:

Since the tokens were never used as money, they are nominally legal.

But they would still be an imitation of a genuine numismatic item, so under the HPA they would be required to be marked COPY.  So technically these are in violation of the law.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:04 AM, Conder101 said:

But they would still be an imitation of a genuine numismatic item, so under the HPA they would be required to be marked COPY.  So technically these are in violation of the law.

Thats what makes me wonder about the new 2021 Morgans. They are copys wiith the fake mintmarks to go along with them. 

Do you reckon the reason they got by with the russian tokens is because of the date?  They have 2019 wrote in Russian on the back of them. Im also wondering why NGC would certify them. 

I got to researching a bit and the Smithsonian has copied quite a few different coins. It looks like they change the looks quite a bit. Id say those beard tokens are probably not an exact copy as the original. Just close enough to it to get by with it. Here is supposed to be a Morgan from them. Quite different from an authenic Morgan. Some of them are very expensive. From the sellers selling them anyways. Dont know if they are worth what they are asking. Polish_20211201_051410124.thumb.jpg.714528ed6eb7ebb67306651d1d7204a8.jpg