• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom set to a Competitive set

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

What does a set need as far as requirements, to go from a custom set to a competitive set?  I have sent in a request earlier this year to begin a new competitive set on the registry but was notified that it would best be kept as a custom set.  There are 19 verifiable medals in this set and I believe it would be a great addition to the medals and tokens category.  These are the 1892 Liberty Head High Relief World's Columbian Expo medals.  All, but two of the medals have pop reports created for them and I am working to fix this matter.  Thank you.  Please feel free to reach out to me for any further information about this set.  

1892-3794298-002-so_copy.jpg

1892-3794298-002-sr_copy.jpg

I think your challenge will be convincing them there is enough collector interest in these to change their prior decision and add the category.

While we all have our pet categories and types of sets we'd like to see, but if they made everything we asked for we'd all probably just have our own categories where we all get #1 rankings because we're all just listing in our custom category.

I'm pretty sure the custom sets were created specifically to let us all make ourselves happy without making all these empty categories where there's no competition. lol

That is a very nice medal. I have always liked this design.

So-Called Dollars website only lists seven varieties of this medal, in low and high relief. Do you have a link to your set? I would love to take a look at the different varieties. 

• Administrator
On 11/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, jaceravone said:

Hello,

What does a set need as far as requirements, to go from a custom set to a competitive set?  I have sent in a request earlier this year to begin a new competitive set on the registry but was notified that it would best be kept as a custom set.  There are 19 verifiable medals in this set and I believe it would be a great addition to the medals and tokens category.  These are the 1892 Liberty Head High Relief World's Columbian Expo medals.  All, but two of the medals have pop reports created for them and I am working to fix this matter.  Thank you.  Please feel free to reach out to me for any further information about this set.  

Hello.

Competitive set creation is analyzed on a case-by-case basis by our senior numismatic team based upon potential collector participation/interest, mintage, NGC population, availability in the marketplace, possibility of high percentage of set completion, and many other factors. The decision still stands for these coins. Thanks very much for your interest.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:48 PM, Just Bob said:

That is a very nice medal. I have always liked this design.

So-Called Dollars website only lists seven varieties of this medal, in low and high relief. Do you have a link to your set? I would love to take a look at the different varieties. 

Hello Bob, that is somewhat correct, there are six known varieties for the so-called dollar series with a possible seventh being the HK 221a which there has never been one graded. In all my years collecting these I have never seen a HK221a either. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's like people saying that they have seen a silver one. I've never seen one nor has one ever been certified. 
In addition to the 6 HK varieties there are 13 other medals in various sizes. I hope this link works so you can view my set. Thank you for your interest. https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=14366

On 11/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, Revenant said:

I think your challenge will be convincing them there is enough collector interest in these to change their prior decision and add the category.

While we all have our pet categories and types of sets we'd like to see, but if they made everything we asked for we'd all probably just have our own categories where we all get #1 rankings because we're all just listing in our custom category.

I'm pretty sure the custom sets were created specifically to let us all make ourselves happy without making all these empty categories where there's no competition. lol

Sadly you are correct. Lol thanks. 🥴

On 12/6/2021 at 10:20 PM, jaceravone said:

Hello Bob, that is somewhat correct, there are six known varieties for the so-called dollar series with a possible seventh being the HK 221a which there has never been one graded. In all my years collecting these I have never seen a HK221a either. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's like people saying that they have seen a silver one. I've never seen one nor has one ever been certified. 
In addition to the 6 HK varieties there are 13 other medals in various sizes. I hope this link works so you can view my set. Thank you for your interest. https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=14366

What a great looking collection of medals! I especially like the gilt pieces and the chocolate brown high relief pieces. Very nice. :golfclap: