• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1839 Isle of Man Farthing
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any info on die varieties for this or know of a place to look? I'm striking out with my references. Or maybe it's not a different die/variety. (shrug)  85787277 (65) & 2867115-003 (64) are the numbers if you want to look at them closer.

50504656_SideBySide-Copy.thumb.png.878a8c17d29c93daf3efb7d090e8a7dd.png

Hey Mike! I just sent you an email with a PDF of an article attached that might be useful. It has been a while since I read it, so I am not sure if provides any information on the 1839 coinage. 

EDIT: There are numerous varieties of English copper that display inverted V's as A's. Have you tried running a broad google search to see if this is documented specifically for IoM coinage? 

Edited by coinsandmedals
Added thought

On 11/26/2021 at 3:37 PM, coinsandmedals said:

Hey Mike! I just sent you an email with a PDF of an article attached that might be useful. It has been a while since I read it, so I am not sure if provides any information on the 1839 coinage. 

EDIT: There are numerous varieties of English copper that display inverted V's as A's. Have you tried running a broad google search to see if this is documented specifically for IoM coinage? 

Got it! Thank You Don!

I've done some targeted searches for this and haven't really found anything specific, other than images of multiple coins of each variety. I have a pretty good library of IoM farthing images now. lol I'll try broadening my search and see what pops up. Interestingly enough I have yet to find an inverted A used for the obv, searching for die varieties doesn't seem to be very common outside of the U.S., but I was hoping there'd be something already documented for this one. It's probably so common that no one cared or thought it out of the ordinary. 

Thanks Again!

On 11/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, Zebo said:

Mike,

may not be useful for the reverse. The 1839 IOM farthing was minted by the Royal Mint as are the below.  

http://aboutfarthings.co.uk/catalogue/uk-farthings/victoria-1838-1901/victoria-young-head-1838-1859/1839-farthing/

Thanks Z!

I'm focusing on the rev right now but I did take a quick look for an inverted V, unbarred A, on the obv but haven't come across one yet on the 1839 farthing. I have identified 3 rev dies so far, and added examples to my collection :devil:, the one/s in the OP are the most obvious so I was hoping there was something documented about them already. The hunt continues...

On 11/26/2021 at 3:43 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Got it! Thank You Don!

I've done some targeted searches for this and haven't really found anything specific, other than images of multiple coins of each variety. I have a pretty good library of IoM farthing images now. lol I'll try broadening my search and see what pops up. Interestingly enough I have yet to find an inverted A used for the obv, searching for die varieties doesn't seem to be very common outside of the U.S., but I was hoping there'd be something already documented for this one. It's probably so common that no one cared or thought it out of the ordinary. 

Thanks Again!

I am glad you got it, Mike. I have made an effort to avoid checking my email over the break, so if you replied, please know that I have not read it yet. On any note, I hope the article proves to be helpful. Please let us know what you discover. 

Your note about the lack of examples with an inverted A on the obverse is interesting. I imagine they reused the dies from the English coinage when possible. I am not familiar enough with the Victorian coinage to know if there is a variety of the 1839 farthing with an inverted A or V in the obverse legend. I will check my copy of Peck once we get back home tomorrow.