• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Themes
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats a very good point and something ive thought about from time to time. I think if they would do shorter runs of coins it would make it alot more interesting. 

What I meant is that I believe collectors would find it more interesting if fewer coins were issued but this isn't directly connected to the mintages.

Look at the majority of US modern commemoratives.  How many collectors would even notice if most of these coins never existed?  They would notice if the program was terminated (as it was in 1954) or the Mint skipped one or more years but not because of the themes.

If a collector treats their collection primarily as an alternative consumption expense, financially it doesn't matter.

Above some unspecified level which varies by collector, they usually do care.  I don't know how many have "noticeable" amounts "invested" in NCLT but don't believe that they wouldn't have an issue if the price declines "noticeably" below their cost.

That's a lot more likely with this endless flood of "product" and what I believe will happen in the future, outside of changes to the spot price.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, World Colonial said:

Not sure where you disagree.

Obviously, all NCLT is owned by someone unless it's literally lost.

I'd describe the US classic commemorative series collector as predominantly a hole filler.  A large series where the majority of coins have little if any actual connection, disproportionately uninteresting themes which most people have never heard of or know nothing about, and which isn't even close to being scarce.  A full set still sells for over five figures in practically any decent quality (like an MS-63) which is hardly cheap for what is actually being bought.

The mintage of most NCLT is not actually low.  The mintages of US classic commemoratives aren't low either.  It isn't low because the relevant comparison isn't circulating coinage but other NCLT or maybe proofs.  Virtually no one is buying any NCLT as a substitute for circulated circulating coinage.  In "high quality", most NCLT is not scarcer outside of the most common circulating coinage.  Outside of US proofs dated from 1950 onwards, only a very low proportion have comparable mintages to most NCLT.

As for "forgotten", I was also speaking in a financial context.  Virtually none of this coinage "stands out" and I expect most of it to sell for nominal premiums to the spot price decades from now, once the asset bubble ends because that's the primary if not only factor holding it up now, especially on 70's.

There are somewhere between 10-15 moderns with quite hefty premiums. Most of them had really poor initial demand.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would like to see some ships as a theme, sure there are a couple of commems that have ships on the reverse but a 25 coin set of different historically important ships would be a neat theme.   Problem is the mint is sure to pick garbage like the love boat, :sick: and then find some way of making that look even worse with the horrible engraving that is the norm.

The current Canadian Bluenose commemorative?

On 11/19/2021 at 6:10 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Side note: Did anyone else get a survey for the U.S. Mint yesterday?

For the record, I got one... and promptly deleted it.  There is little point in preaching to the clueless.

I seriously doubt we will ever see a large-sized coin ever minted for circulation, but if we did a coelacanth, trilobite or wooly 🦣 mammoth would suit me just fine.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:10 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Did anyone else get a survey for the U.S. Mint yesterday?

Oh, I got a survey Mike and they did not score well on anything with me at all.  What a bunch of garbage they have on the backburner!! It's just more of the same old, tired c-r-a-p and I scored them accordingly. I mean, come on, more stupid ornaments and reverse proof Morgan and Peace Dollars?  Do we really need more ornaments and a continued series of zombie Morgan and Peace Dollars?  I'm guessing I'll never get a survey from them again lol.  I would like to get a survey on offerings for paper money collectors though because I have a great idea for that which I've had for years.........red seal United States Notes of the modern designs just for collectors.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/29/2021 at 7:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk  I agree, and if I may, I should like to suggest a re-issuance, for a limited time, of all three Educational Series notes.

I agree with that, Quintus! That would be very cool.  I think it'd be really cool to see those designs on a small sized note.  Especially as a resurrected collectors only United States Note.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/19/2021 at 4:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would like to see some ships as a theme, sure there are a couple of commems that have ships on the reverse but a 25 coin set of different historically important ships would be a neat theme.   Problem is the mint is sure to pick garbage like the love boat, :sick: and then find some way of making that look even worse with the horrible engraving that is the norm.

Man, do you know the U.S. Mint well Coinbuf!!! You better be careful.....they're looking for ideas, it seems.  If they do find this thread, that Love Boat commem you mentioned would be the idea that they'd take and run with.  They'd make a 5 ounce silver Love Boat dollar, colorized and in reverse proof, with an "O" privy mark and something 90 years old and absolutely dreadful by Laura Gardin Fraser on the obverse.  I'm certain they can dig something like that up. The U.S. Mint would appear to have a massive backlog of horrendous artwork to draw upon. Of all of the ideas that have been proposed here both seriously and sarcastically, this is absolutely with 100% certainty the one that they would gravitate toward and produce.

Edited by Mohawk