• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Practice Grading: 1857 Flying Penny.....is this coin somewhere between VF-20 and F-12
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I'm new to grading coins and am using both the 7th Edition AMA Grading Standards as well as Flying Eagle Penny Values | Discover Their Worth (coinstudy.com).  I've noticed that they have different scales, but I think I can see where both are going.  I'll try to only bore the board with two or three of these (this one included).

In the favor of a VF rating, you can still see evidence of individual feathers, but the wear of the leading edge of the right wing moves it towards a Fine rating.  The bow on the obverse is still somewhat distinct, but the wreath is worn.

I'm making a guess that this would be considered an example of a "Fine" coin, because of the wear on the leading edge of the right wing.

SC 1857 Flying Penny Obverse.jpg

SC 1857 Flying Penny Reverse.jpg

This one is not a "high flying eagle" and is taking a "nose dive" off the "scales." It might rate About Good or Good, but not something most collectors would pay for. Much nicer 1857 Flying Eagle cents are available for a few dollars. Personally, it's worth about $3 -- certainly not $16 as the referenced web site  claims.

Edited by RWB

On 11/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, RWB said:

This one is not a "high flying eagle" and is taking a "nose dive" off the "scales." It might rate About Good or Good, but not something most collectors would pay for. Much nicer 1857 Flying Eagle cents are available for a few dollars. Personally, it's worth about $3 -- certainly not $16 as the referenced web site  claims.

I'm inclined to agree. The obverse legends are better than anything else going on there. The wreath is just pretty darned bad.

Edited by VKurtB

Thank you all for replying.  The wreath is pretty bad.

This coin is part of a collection I've inherited, so the sentimental value exceeds the numismatic value.  I've got a long...as in very long...range goal of creating a complete set of small cent coins.  As most of the coins I've inherited are not much better then this one, I don't have to stretch much to buy coins that improve the quality of the collection. The set was fairly complete when I got it, only the expensive ones left.

Thanks again. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, sdysart said:

Thank you all for replying.  The wreath is pretty bad.

This coin is part of a collection I've inherited, so the sentimental value exceeds the numismatic value.  I've got a long...as in very long...range goal of creating a complete set of small cent coins.  As most of the coins I've inherited are not much better then this one, I don't have to stretch much to buy coins that improve the quality of the collection. The set was fairly complete when I got it, only the expensive ones left.

Thanks again. 

Yes, the person who built that collection did so the way many people did years ago - hole filling, with not much of an eye toward higher grade coins. Nearly everyone today advises against that approach. These days, quality is king. “Buy the absolute best example you can possibly afford”, is the new mantra. The FE cent is a challenge for a type set builder. Most were well circulated and many were lost during the Civil War, due to hoarding and burying by people, many of whom died in the war. I suggest there are buried cans out there with FE’s in them (and large cents and Indians) to be found. The reactivity of copper makes their condition sketchy.