• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Quest is Finished, 1883-S Morgan

18 posts in this topic

Just got this one in the mail today. It’s obviously raw but I took a small gamble and went ahead and got it off EBay. This completes my 1883 Morgan year set, first Silver Dollar set I’ve ever compiled. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme but I do feel a sense of accomplishment having done this especially when I thought the San Fran would never happen. 
Please give me your professional opinions of a grade on this Morgan.

The pics are pretty much a good representation of this coin. It does still have luster and minimal chatter. Thanks!

B4C6DDA6-7B31-4A92-93E2-5037FCBDE351.jpeg

AC0EB6E3-5EED-4274-B696-810E0D284522.jpeg

It's a beautiful coin! 

I'm a professional, but not in a profession having anything to do with numismatics.  :)

My amateur guess:  Comparing it to my graded Morgans, it most closely resembles (both sides) an AU55 that I have.  But I cannot tell whether the apparent softness in the lower part of the hair is in the strike (meaning it's uncirculated), or from a tiny bit of wear.

Mark

Edited by 124Spider

Nice going Greg, the lighting makes it hard to see but it looks like a lot of small nicks and dings but the high points are still in good shape . I will give it a AU 58

Brad, my good friend,

Look at the area around “In God We Trust”. The difference in reflectivity between the really close in areas and those farther out speaks to either wear or cleaning. In this case, it’s hard to say which. He way people grade today, it MIGHT make a low MS grade, but more likely a high AU. The whole range from 55-62 is in flux and a fairly hot mess lately.

On the plus side, the breast feathers are nice.

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB  @RWB@124Spider @J P Mashoke.  Thank you all for your replies. I just now opened my computer and looked at the pics I posted earlier on this thread which I posted and did from my cell phone. Although the pics are semi-decent, but too dark and lifeless, I am not happy with them.  I should have waited until I got home, took some better pictures, viewed and posted them from my computer. This Morgan does still retain some original luster despite the my pictures but I would consider it to be uncirculated with coin in hand. It has some very light wear on the high spots but I am fairly certain it would grade in the mid to high AU range. The reverse that you spoke of Kurt does not appear to be cleaned (good observation).  I looked at this coin with the highest power triplet lens loupes I own, a 12x and a 20x (that you can see a hair on a gnat's arse...), and what I am seeing around IGWT and above that in STATES are extremely small flow lines that are causing that frosty look. I appreciate all of the responses. I am pretty pleased with this Morgan, especially being an S Mint which I never thought I'd be able to afford in even this decent of condition, and the best thing is is that I only gave $110 bucks for it. I have no intentions of submitting it so that is even a better deal to me.  Thanks all!

Edited by GBrad

The new photos confirm that the coin has been circulated, and in my opinion, is no longer a legitimate AU.

[OK...ok....by current TPG use it might be AU-55; but I don't accept that as a valid "AU" condition - it has historically been called EF and that is how I learned to grade coins from Frank Katen. My view is: there is only one "AU" grade - very slight abrasion on high points and/or very slight disturbance of luster.]

Whew, I'm glad that you posted those second photos, I was really conflicted by the first set as they made the coin look polished.  ;)     As you know the coin is a solid AU (not withstanding RWB's old school grading) AU58 details that would likely grade as AU55 or AU53 (on a bad day) due to the hits on the cheek and the amount of circulation wear that is showing in the fields.

Congrats on completing the set with a very nice looking example; so what is next? :)

On 11/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, RWB said:

that is how I learned to grade coins from Frank Katen

Good for you and your Frank Katen bromance, which means absolutely NOTHING any more to the real world. Sr. Francesco Giuseppe Cincinnati Catanzariti passed away 20 years ago, and the relevance of his teaching shortly thereafter, if not well before then. Most of us have evaded being stuck static in time, while you, CLEARLY, have not. Your choice. (Sheesh, historians.)

Edited by VKurtB