• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Full Bands on a Mercury Dime

11 posts in this topic

I hope this is not a stupid question but here goes - I have a 1942 Mercury Dime that is graded PR67 by PCGS and also has a CAC sticker.  It very clearly has full bands on the reverse, but there its no FB designation in the grading.  Is a proof graded coin automatically assumed to have full bands?  Please see pictures below.  Thank you for all guidance!

347728559_1942PMercuryDimePR-67FB-PGCS-CAC_181292Slab.jpg.bebf02834f94b28016ee6c4278be9a5b.jpg577907766_1942PMercuryDimePR-67FB-PGCS-CAC_181292Reverse.jpg.d10f4cc54b7ce33c74adb28e84173bf9.jpg

In the 1936-42 period, proof dies were usually repolished and coins often have reduced fine detail. However, this does not affect the coin's highest relief, such as the fasces.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, RWB said:

The reverse photo shown above, indicates it was one of the last pieces struck from that die before repolishing. Detail is very good, but there is considerable die-wear metal flow in the field. If you look at the olive leaves to immediate right of center, you'll notice a small gap between the leaves and the fasces. This is typical for proof dies that have only been polished once. (Compare to a circulation dime of similar condition.)

PS: The book United States Proof Coins 1936-1942 by Roger W. Burdette (me) has detailed information about this series of proof coins, and might be of interest.

One damned fine book, sir. Gets my highest recommendation.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, RWB said:

The reverse photo shown above, indicates it was one of the last pieces struck from that die before repolishing. Detail is very good, but there is considerable die-wear metal flow in the field. If you look at the olive leaves to immediate right of center, you'll notice a small gap between the leaves and the fasces. This is typical for proof dies that have only been polished once. (Compare to a circulation dime of similar condition.)

PS: The book United States Proof Coins 1936-1942 by Roger W. Burdette (me) has detailed information about this series of proof coins, and might be of interest.

Thank you, Roger.  This kind of information fascinates me.  I will definitely pick up a copy of the book.

One more post in this thread - thanks for your patience!

Below is my second coin of the same grade - I obtained these coins at the same time.  This one has some toning - it is from the 'Teich Family Collection' and I understand those coins developed some degree of toning due to the way they were stored for 50 years.  

A question for RWB, or anyone else - from these rather poor photographs, can you discern anything of note regarding the die or the strike?  Thanks!!

1942 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 CAC-Teich Collection_O_2.jpg

1942 Mercury Dime PCGS PR67 CAC-Teich Collection-Reverse_3.jpg

Edited by caltx01

On 11/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, caltx01 said:

can you discern anything of note regarding the die or the strike?

Not with any confidence. Since these were made on a hydraulic medal press the "strike" will be excellent in the high central points  - that is, wherever excess polishing did not remove die detail. It wasn't until the 1950s that the Medal Department (later proof coin division) figured out how to maintain good mirror-like fields while also retaining detail. Some of the 1936-42 proofs, especially halves, have poor detail in Liberty's hand, the flag and parts of the eagle motif.