• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan / Peace

22 posts in this topic

I said I was not going to indulge in the new Morgan and peace considering how much I spent to create original sets of both (PS thanx for all the advice "that its not the time to get into Morgans" but I didn't listen LOL). Well my compulsive behavior has grown in the 2021s. I see a set of MS 69's all mint marks (6 coins) for 1000.00; is that a reasonable price ? Or should I just get one peace and one Morgan and be happy? Any advice is appreciated :) 

I think that is a bit high, however I'm not in the market for these and not really paying that much attention to the price differences for graded vs raw.   I do know there is a member on the PCGS forum selling all six (five morgan and one peace) raw coins for $845 shipped OBO.

As to the advice, my advice is do what makes you happy.

Thank you for the advice. I truly receive it, and its not I have more money than sense - its I'm trying create a collection for my grand-kids at an older age therefore they won't spend their inheritance on a hobby that I could start for them. I wasn't watching the prices of "pre-order" for these coins from the mint.. All I see now is what's on Ebay, JM Bullion, and other retail outlets. Any input is greatly appreciated. :) Thanx again

You're right, James.  The Mint stopped giving a c*ap about collectors a while ago.  What they care about now is finding that next cash cow and milking it to death, and the collector can go pound sand.  The nice thing about this hobby is that there are many great things you can collect without having to get the U.S. Mint involved.  You save a lot of headaches once you get them out of your life, let me tell you! 

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/11/2021 at 8:15 PM, Mohawk said:

You're right, James.  The Mint stopped giving a about collectors a while ago.  What they care about now is finding that next cash cow and milking it to death, and the collector can go pound sand.  The nice thing about this hobby is that there are many great things you can collect without having to get the U.S. Mint involved.  You save a lot of headaches once you get them out of your life, let me tell you!

All this is accurate, and it is what the mega-dealers begged for at the 2016 Mint forum at Philadelphia. That was the beginning of the end of the idea that the collector mattered to the Mint. The Royal Mint in Wales has more give-a-darn about me as a collector than the U.S. Mint ever will again, sadly. I actually get personalized letters, with a wet signature, from the Royal Mint.

Edited by VKurtB

Thank you so much for this advice / information. VKurtB is "spot on" - I guess my reseach needs to focus on release dates: mint sells out before I know about new coins LOL But when buying older coins, I must either develop a local relationship or deal with retail markets - correct ? The hobby is a business and collecting becomes very disappointing. Happy Veteran's Day Tony fellow vets !!! Thanx again for all the input :) 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, ldhall said:

Thank you so much for this advice / information. VKurtB is "spot on" - I guess my reseach needs to focus on release dates: mint sells out before I know about new coins LOL But when buying older coins, I must either develop a local relationship or deal with retail markets - correct ? The hobby is a business and collecting becomes very disappointing. Happy Veteran's Day Tony fellow vets !!! Thanx again for all the input :) 

If you want to get U.S. Mint products, yep, definitely need to know those release dates and you need to be ready to strike like a hawk when they go on sale if it's a high demand item with a limited mintage.  As for older coins, there are many different outlets for those, depending on what you want to collect.  There are many respected dealers with an online presence now, so you can find coins for almost any collecting interest if you look hard enough.  This comes in very handy if you want to collect things that are a little more eclectic or if you don't have a brick and mortar shop near you.  

On 11/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, ldhall said:

Yup, watch those release dates like a hawk. Also…

Create an account on www.usmint.gov.

Make sure your debit or credit card info is kept current.

Look at what can be ordered by subscription. MOST products that can will not require a rushed order, but that might change. For those that cannot be ordered by subscription, if there is a mintage limit…

Log on at least 15 minutes before the ordering period opens.

Make sure you log into your account.

Watch the digital clock on your device, and as soon as the magic time arrives, keep trying to order. Expect to need to do it repeatedly.

I would add, in support of what you've been told, that I'll be selling my extras sooner rather than later, because I feel that the price will continue to drop for a while.  It might spike up again if they are annoying enough to continue the "series" next year, but my sense is that (i) prices have dropped significantly since we actually got the coins, and (ii) MS 69 is not a "special" grade, worthy of paying twice the release price.  If you care about "top pop," perhaps an MS 70 set would be worth that, but not (IMO, of course) an MS 69 set.

Mark

On 11/11/2021 at 10:53 PM, 124Spider said:

I would add, in support of what you've been told, that I'll be selling my extras sooner rather than later, because I feel that the price will continue to drop for a while.  It might spike up again if they are annoying enough to continue the "series" next year, but my sense is that (i) prices have dropped significantly since we actually got the coins, and (ii) MS 69 is not a "special" grade, worthy of paying twice the release price.  If you care about "top pop," perhaps an MS 70 set would be worth that, but not (IMO, of course) an MS 69 set.

Mark

I quite like the terminology “special grade”. Very informative. Unless we are referring to old school products like the P&D uncirculated set, MS69 is exactly that - NOT special. Things like proofs and all the silver Commems and such are more or less HALF 70’s and half 69’s, with VERY FEW at 68 or lower. 69 is basically the same as raw. No premium deserved. 

On 11/11/2021 at 6:14 PM, ldhall said:

I said I was not going to indulge in the new Morgan and peace considering how much I spent to create original sets of both (PS thanx for all the advice "that its not the time to get into Morgans" but I didn't listen LOL). Well my compulsive behavior has grown in the 2021s. I see a set of MS 69's all mint marks (6 coins) for 1000.00; is that a reasonable price ? Or should I just get one peace and one Morgan and be happy? Any advice is appreciated :) 

6 x $85 + postage is a reasonable price for the imitations.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, RWB said:

6 x $85 + postage is a reasonable price for the imitations.

People are selling imitation 2021 ? who would ever think that.:ph34r:

On 11/11/2021 at 11:53 PM, 124Spider said:

Mark

That's probably a good plan, Mark.  I think the price will continue to drop as well, especially since it's become known that there are going to be proofs next year and who knows what kind of silliness after that.  The Mint should have left the 2021's alone and left them as stand alone products.  But, of course, they didn't and here we are.  

On 11/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, James Zyskowski said:

Special or not they command a premium over ogp.  By next year they will be $120 or so. 

Not to me they don’t. If there were an issue I wanted, and all I could find was a slabbed MS/PF 69, I’d buy it, crack it out, and try to buy empty OGP for it. I would not be at all surprised if a year from now, a slabbed 69 of these new Morgans was selling at BELOW original issue price.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/12/2021 at 10:56 AM, J P Mashoke said:

People are selling imitation 2021 ? who would ever think that.:ph34r:

Only the ones made by the US Mint are legal. ALL others from ALL sources are counterfeits. Report the seller to the US Mint and maybe if enough people complain they will do something.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, RWB said:

Only the ones made by the US Mint are legal. ALL others from ALL sources are counterfeits. Report the seller to the US Mint and maybe if enough people complain they will do something.

Seriously, doubtful. The Secret Service only really cares about fake circulating currency. They don’t even have people on staff any more who know coins.