• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IMPORTANT INFO FOR NEWBIES! - eBay warning

26 posts in this topic

Hello to all new collectors out there!

I was just browsing a few auctions on eBay just to look and one popped up that caused me to come on to here as I feel it is our duty as long time educated collectors to inform those just starting out who don't know enough to not be taken advantage of. I was looking at a Franklin half and looked into one of eBay's suggestions. I came across an auction by seller north-east-auction. There are several things going on here.

Number one, I have in the past reported two of their coins to eBay as counterfeits. It is possible the seller doesn't know they have a counterfeit in the first place, but when they do not respond to a direct message about the issue, tells me they are knowingly selling counterfeits mixed in with legitimate coins. I did message them with no response.

Number two, this seller is now using "stock photos". What that means is they are using a photo of a coin (usually the best possible highest quality coin they have) to make the listing, but that is NOT the coin you are going to get should you win or buy it. Being this seller has sold known counterfeits, this use of stock photos is another red flag. Just because they have 67,000 stars for positive feedback to me does not mean ! How many of those were bought by people who don't send out coins to TPG's for grading? How many counterfeits are sitting in somebody's box in a cardboard flip that they paid a bunch of $$ for and think it is worth that $$ but is actually worthless? I get that eBay has a 30 day return policy, but should you buy a coin from an unscrupulous seller, by the time you get it, submit it to NGC for grading, and have it return as counterfeit, that 30 days will be long past, AND you will also be past the point where leaving negative feedback has expired.

Number three, messaging a coin seller such as this and they tell you all they sell is genuine coins is also no guarantee.

My advice for newbies nowadays is as follows :    1) Trust NO ONE!  2) Before you buy any coin, buy a good coin book that has weights listed for each coin.  3) Before you buy any coin, buy a good quality hundredths gram scale so you can weigh your purchases as soon as you get them.  4) If there is something you don't know for sure, ask someone who knows. This is a great place to do that.

Spoiler

Correction I did an I orrevt search I see all their coins now. Thanks for the heads up!

Not defending this person at all but I just searched all their products and only saw two Lincoln cents for US coins. A lot of tokens, Boy Scout memorabilia and nothing that appears to be overpriced or misleading. Please give us an example of what you are referring to. I have never purchased anything from them but I don’t see anything that is of interest anyway. The accusations are serious, eBay takes them seriously. you stated you have reported them to eBay? What was their response?

Edited by Mr.Bill347
Correction

I see now why you are concerned to many coins that look staged but then many are on the same countertop background and don’t appear to be stock photos . I can’t tell you about the ancients but the 1932-s quarter seems way overpriced to me.

Edited by Mr.Bill347

I'm with @Mr.Bill347 on this one.  Also, an EBay seller using stock or juiced photos.  I'm shocked. :pullhair:  Prices beyond our wildest dreams.  I'll just say doh!.  It's good when a counterfeiter, rogue seller, or just plain crook is outed to help our fellow collectors beware of scams.  But I will always remind people that we are operating in a 'Public Domain'.  In other words anyone at anytime can come on here and read what we are printing and discussing.  

Edited by Alex in PA.

Ill never buy from a dealer again that uses stock photos. Ive learned my lesson to read very carefully before I buy a coin. Thought I was buying a perfect buffalo nickel one time that would probably grade ms 66. When it came in it looked completely different. It had been circulated. Thought they sent me the wrong one at first. Went back and looked and seen they was using a stock photo. Said in the description it would look simular to that one or better. What a crock if bull. I should have sent it back but Ijust used it as a learning lesson. 

Mr.Bill347 you would be able to find my previous post about this seller with photos of the two different 2 cent pieces they were selling that were really bad counterfeits on the chat boards here under counterfeit coins. You may have to scroll back a bit in the threads as that was several years ago. I reported the listings to eBay, but I never saw the listings get removed. I was a little disappointed in eBay at that.

Alex, I am not concerned with what scammer that can read what I say about them. All I will say to them is, truth hurts doesn't it. When those of us with the eye and knowledge to know something is not genuine, do this hobby the greatest disservice by not reporting, and not saying anything about it. Remember when you started out? Remember when you didn't know much except which denomination looked like what? Would you not want someone to steer you away from a scammer who is on the take?

There are a lot of great sellers on eBay but unfortunately I believe there are probably more scammers than the previous.  You definitely have to be careful when buying on eBay and I don't think anyone here on this forum would disagree with this.  I have discovered fake coins on eBay in the past, simply sent a polite message to the seller, and on several occasions the seller immediately removed their listing and replied to me in very apologetic manners.  We are not perfect as humans and we all make mistakes, even professional Numismatists (or those who claim to be).  What carries weight with me on eBay sellers are two things. 1- The prompt communications and replies from a seller after I PM them including their reactions shortly thereafter (meaning removing and item or correcting a description), and  2- Their overall ratings/sales and how long they have been an eBay seller (and actually a third criteria is their return policy).  There's bad apples in every bunch, no doubt.  Just use common sense and you should be fine. And one other thing.  As a newcomer to collecting and/or to this forum, if you are reading this, I think it is safe to say that the experienced members here will be glad to help you out (I know I will be to the best of my limited abilities) if you have a valid question or concern about a coin you may be looking to purchase online.  I know most of us here enjoy helping out those new to the hobby.  

On 11/11/2021 at 4:57 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ill never buy from a dealer again that uses stock photos. Ive learned my lesson to read very carefully before I buy a coin. Thought I was buying a perfect buffalo nickel one time that would probably grade ms 66. When it came in it looked completely different. It had been circulated. Thought they sent me the wrong one at first. Went back and looked and seen they was using a stock photo. Said in the description it would look simular to that one or better. What a crock if bull. I should have sent it back but Ijust used it as a learning lesson. 

I have actually gotten a little more into buying off of eBay, very carefully might I add!!!  I remember when you posted a topic, or made that comment, about that STOCK photo listing issue you experienced some time ago.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  Not only a valuable lesson for you Hog as you said (albeit unfortunate brother), but you taught me something valuable to look for and I'm sure you helped out others as well with this good information.  That's one thing I pay close attention to now, the words "stock photo" shown anywhere in a particular listing......

On 11/12/2021 at 3:56 AM, powermad5000 said:

When those of us with the eye and knowledge to know something is not genuine,

Please enlighten us what professional position you hold in 'our hobby' that gives you this ability.  Do you work for NGC, PVGS, ANACS or perhaps ICG?

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:56 AM, powermad5000 said:

Mr.Bill347 you would be able to find my previous post about this seller with photos of the two different 2 cent pieces

Why can't you find it?

On 11/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, GBrad said:

Just for the record (even though my name was not mentioned, yet:)), in my post above, I was not bashing any Ebay sellers at all.  I was just trying to add some knowledge and what to look for when purchasing coins if you are new to doing this.... just trying to help out.  There are a whole lot of good sellers on the Bay.  Hopefully my comment was not taken the wrong way.  

I didn't take what you said in any bad way at all, GBrad.  It's a fact....there are plenty of bad sellers on eBay.  There are more of them all the time and it makes things tough on guys like me.  I just wanted to show my appreciation to Alex for what he said from the context of a good guy on eBay who wants to be fair to his buyers, who wants to have repeat buyers and who wants to sell you good coins.....almost any expensive ones are NGC certified, too.  

On 11/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, Mohawk said:

Alex, as a reputable eBay seller, I thank you greatly for this, my friend.  It's much appreciated.  We're not all bad.  Some of us, like me, just wnat to sell you a good coin at a fair price so I can go out myself and buy a good coin at a fair price with the proceeds. 

You are certainly correct and if there were more honest and reliable sellers such as you EBay might just get it's good name restored.  Just keep up the good work.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, Alex in PA. said:

You are certainly correct and if there were more honest and reliable sellers such as you EBay might just get it's good name restored.  Just keep up the good work.

I'll definitely do so, my friend (thumbsu

I have shopped on EBay since it's beginning.  I have bought a few coins, some bullion and a lot of Civil War items.  I got 'stung' a few times by some dishonest sellers and con men. However, most of those times it was my fault for jumping the gun and getting greedy.  For the past years I've accumulated  a small list of 'Saved Sellers'.  I encourage others to do that; keep a list of those sellers that you have successfully dealt with.  I mainly purchase Hummel Figurines for my sister (birthday and Xmas) and for the past ten years only bought from two sellers who are on my list. Good luck and don't let one mistake or one bad transaction sour you.  

On 11/12/2021 at 1:16 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Please enlighten us what professional position you hold in 'our hobby' that gives you this ability.  Do you work for NGC, PVGS, ANACS or perhaps ICG?

On 11/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Why can't you find it?

True definition of a keyboard warrior right here. You, sir, are an . Not just in this thread but in many others. It seems any negative talk about rotten eBay sellers sets off that tiny fuse of yours and causes you to lash out. If the comments don’t pertain to you as an eBay seller specifically, then keep that little, inner bully of yours locked up. But maybe they do affect you in which case, I’ll be sure to steer clear of your eBay listings. 

To be clear, I never presented myself as the be-all-know-all-expert of coins. I simply stated that I was able to find a couple counterfeit coins being sold by that seller that someone without the knowledge would not have known. As for the trust no one part of the post, should we not weigh and inspect coins we buy and just buy blindly from anyone? Sure there are good, honest sellers on there (I am one of them), but is there not a chance at all no matter how small that even a trusted experienced seller somehow maybe missed something and has a coin that is not genuine? Should we quit weighing and checking? I was just trying to help the newcomers to this hobby (sure maybe a little sternly) to try to start out on the right path. But, if everyone wants to jump down my throat and make it out that I am a bad guy for what I said, you stick to your opinions and I'll shut up then. 

LOL, I was on Ebay and I saw an auction for 3 wheat pennies, 1916 S, 1929 D and a 1932. What caught my eye was all 3 coins appeared to be a very pretty red color and all 3 coins were the same exact shade of red. There was only the obv. and rev. pictures and neither allowed magnification so you cant really look at the coins. So I looked at the sellers name and it was north-east-auction. I had just read your post yesterday so the name rang a bell immediately.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge with those of us less experienced in this hobby.

P.S. Im starting to think coin collecting and masturbation have alot in common. They should both be done alone, behind closed doors and with the understanding that those who dont share our particular interests dont wish to watch us engage in it.

Known Sellers of Counterfeit Coins

3  People are following this.  Would this not be the appropriate place instead of making it look like a 'gripe' session.  Show me the EBay Buyer who has not been 'stung' once.  But I suppose posting this valuable information in the Counterfeit forum just isn't quite as exciting or attention getting.  Eh?

Started by Just Bob, July 2, 2018

Edited by Alex in PA.