• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found this 1962 NMM Lincoln cent with the words ,IN GOD WE Trust on the reverse side of the coin.I hope you can see it.What could cause this?

21 posts in this topic

However, playing devil's advocate here, the letters do look to be raised and not incuse.  Look at the S in TRUST where the S did not affect the corner of the Memorial (last picture)....hmmm.

Edited by GBrad

On 11/10/2021 at 8:46 PM, Coinbuf said:

Vice job, someone took another cent and pressed it into this one with a bench press or hammer or such.   Not an error and has no value.

Yep.  Vice job.  Someone really punished that cent......

On 11/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, GBrad said:

However, playing devil's advocate here, the letters do look to be raised and not incuse.  Look at the S in TRUST where the S did not affect the corner of the Memorial (last picture)....hmmm.

That is what I was looking at,the S is under the memorial.

The letters looked raised ? if it was a vice job the rim would be damaged and the letters would be incuse. Perhaps it is a capped die error.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:44 PM, J P Mashoke said:

The letters looked raised ? if it was a vice job the rim would be damaged and the letters would be incuse. Perhaps it is a capped die error.

Yes J P.  You read my mind on the rim issue and how it would have to be damaged if another coin was placed against this one and pressed into it. There wouldn't be enough room to make clean contact without affecting the rim.  And if the letters are raised then it couldn't be caused by another coin being pressed into it obviously. A capped die would cause incuse letters but at the same time the letters would also be oriented in the correct fashion, not spelled backwards.  Not sure on this one. This Cent has seen better days and is no doubt severely damaged. Not saying it is an error, but it is pretty odd IMHO. I'm definitely leaning towards some type of PMD simply due to the fact that the words are backwards. Not sure how it could be anything else here.  

Edited by GBrad

On 11/11/2021 at 3:02 AM, powermad5000 said:

If I may chime in, could this be a partial brockage?

Thank you that is a better description than just a Cap die error, I could not think of the name LoL

On 11/11/2021 at 11:20 AM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

I found one on US Modern Variety forum that looks very much like mine on the reverse,It didn't have the damage on the obverse side..

But yours has the damage, which wouldn't occur if it was a brockage, but could definitely occur if it was squeezed in a vise.

On 11/11/2021 at 11:28 AM, Oldhoopster said:

But yours has the damage, which wouldn't occur if it was a brockage, but could definitely occur if it was squeezed in a vise.

I'm 100% with you on this Hoopster.....the damage on the coin would not be present on a brockage, but damage from a vise would case exactly what we're seeing.

With coin in hand the determining factor I would think is if the letters are raised, it was done on the strike of the coin. they would not be raised if it was from a vice or press

For those that are claiming this could be a brockage, I'm thinking there is some confusion on what a brockage is:

A Brockage occurs when a mirror image of a coin is struck on a blank. After a struck coin fails to eject, a new blank is fed between the struck coin and the hammer die. The hammer die strikes the second blank leaving its image on one side while pressing the blank against the previously stuck coin which sinks its image into opposite side.

Here is a good example of a brockage error, there are some examples where the brockage image is quite sharp, but those are exceptions not the norm.   Please note the orientation of this example in the medal orientation.   I personally believe that the really sharply struck brockage coins were created by the mint employees, however that is just my own personal belief and I have no hard facts to prove it.

Brockage error.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf