• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haze on silver proofs

14 posts in this topic

I have been collecting proof and silver proof set for a few years now. I pulled them out and was looking at them the other night and noticed that a haze had developed on some of the silver proofs. They are all still in the original mint packaging. I store them in my safe at home. What could be causing the haze?  Humidity?  If it was humidity, wouldn’t it affect all the coins?  At any rate, I threw some silica packets in just to be sure. 

Edit:  is there a way to remove the haze through TPG conservation?

Edited by Jblindy

@Mr.Bill347Thanks for the link. I assume I would need to break them out of the holders they are in? I guess it’s time to pay for an NGC membership.

What causes the hazing? If it’s humidity, why would it affect just a few coins from different holders?

On 11/10/2021 at 11:39 AM, Jblindy said:

I assume I would need to break them out of the holders they are in?

No.  NCS/NGC will take care of that.  Also, NCS will determine, without breaking your slab, whether conservation is needed.  I used them 4 times and have been greatly pleased with the service.  They did such a good job my 1875 $20.00 CC when up one grade.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Perhaps someone with more computer skills can post the link

Gladly if you let me know where you read the update.

I have many Proof sets and a lot with a haze on the coins but for a proof set that is only worth between $5 and $30 I can see no point in restoration it will not change the value just make it look better.  

On 11/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Interesting because ngc just sent out a n update on conservation 😉. Perhaps someone with more computer skills can post the link. 🤠The possibility of milk spots being removed is awesome 

Hey James.  Not sure about an update, and what would definitely be a revolution in removing milk spots, but I think what your are reading (based on your link to NGS restoration) is that milk spots can possibly be minimized.  I copy and pasted below straight from the link you supplied.  I may be wrong but I don't think milk spots can be completely removed.  Isn't that funny.... they can create a vaccine for one of the deadliest viruses on the planet, they can put a man on the moon some 52 years ago, but yet they can't come up with a cure for the simple cold or milk spots....... Very odd.  

Can professional conservation from NCS remove white spots?

Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS), an independent affiliate of NGC, has conducted extensive research but has been unable to determine a conservation technique that can prevent or remove white spots without damaging the coin. In some cases white spots can be minimized, but they cannot be removed

Edited by GBrad

On 11/10/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jblindy said:

@Mr.Bill347Thanks for the link. I assume I would need to break them out of the holders they are in? I guess it’s time to pay for an NGC membership.

What causes the hazing? If it’s humidity, why would it affect just a few coins from different holders?

Join the ANA. It comes with NGC submitting privileges.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Join the ANA. It comes with NGC submitting privileges.

Thanks for suggestion. I took a look and $46/year isn’t a bad deal at all. I was going to go with Premium membership on NGC for the four free submissions. The NGC benefit received from an ANA membership is on par with the NGC Associate level? Or does it just grant direct submission privileges?

On 11/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jblindy said:

Thanks for suggestion. I took a look and $46/year isn’t a bad deal at all. I was going to go with Premium membership on NGC for the four free submissions. The NGC benefit received from an ANA membership is on par with the NGC Associate level? Or does it just grant direct submission privileges?

I have never seen a difference between the ANA Associate level and the NGC one. I invite contrary facts.