• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice rim job

40 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im all the time finding change in my washer and dryer at home

And if you're like me, the first thing ya do with that change found in the washer or dryer goes directly under a loupe!lol

On 11/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, Keith Dee said:

the baggie I’ve been storing the nickel in at the bottom of the pic so let’s not even go there🤣

At least it's not a "dime bag"..... Phew...... glad you clarified that!!!

On 11/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Alex in PA. said:

That's neat.  I just found an old coin purse I got years ago from Northeast Coin and there were six Sac Dollars in Mylar flips.  I believe I got them years ago in a USPS Stamp Coin Machine.  Came out as change. 

It was a cool find.  I've never found a Sacagawea dollar out in the wild, just chilling somewhere.  I have found a couple Loonies, though.  Your find was quite cool, too :) 

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/8/2021 at 1:00 PM, Keith Dee said:

Here are the results. This isn’t proving anything other then it’s thicker. I’ve  measured at least 10 to 15 other nickels and gotten 1.8 to 1.9 this one 2.2 all the time all the way around.

31977685-BB9B-4C19-BDC5-F9D0A2C82940.jpeg

272F1C83-5A43-44AC-B6AB-41575888CF4A.jpeg

The reason it is thicker is because as it gets tumbled it pushes the metal up along the rim. The rim is the only place it is thicker. 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:43 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The reason it is thicker is because as it gets tumbled it pushes the metal up along the rim. The rim is the only place it is thicker. 

When you said it was spooned I thought to myself how in the hell could a spoon do this and why is someone spooning nickels😂 Thank god for Google.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, Keith Dee said:

When you said it was spooned I thought to myself how in the hell could a spoon do this and why is someone spooning nickels😂 Thank god for Google.

They do take spoons and tap them around the edges of coins until they do that. Sounds crazy but people do it. I sure wouldnt waste my time doing it. 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

They do take spoons and tap them around the edges of coins until they do that. Sounds crazy but people do it. I sure wouldnt waste my time doing it. 

That they do, Hog, that they do.  And I'm with you......spooning coins is yet another human behavior that I completely do not understand.  People do some weird stuff, that's for sure.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, Keith Dee said:

Google can be a lifesaver!!

On 11/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That’s crazy. I don’t believe this was spooned though. If anything got this nickel like that it definitely got stuck in some kind of machine. Constantly turning and pushing against the edge, A change machine at the bank perhaps. Maybe the edge had a little more hight to it then normal which would explain how it had enough metal to push inward in the first place. I still think it’s cool and will go with the rest of the strange things I have. Who knows maybe I can find one of these spooners to finish the job and make a ring out of it. I would actually like to see the process.