• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice rim job

40 posts in this topic

Not sure if the rim can be seen in these pics to others but it’s really high and sharp. Kind of tapers inward. I’ll measure it as soon as I get my sliding caliber tomorrow. I know it doesn’t carry much of a premium. It’s something cool to hang onto none the less.

D462490F-3798-45EB-A2F0-E9DC8CCF9A85.jpeg

640CC3DD-DC5E-49D6-B996-942C17A3E99E.jpeg

91AA6E83-118C-4128-A64F-5DD8886BF4B6.jpeg

I don't believe there is anything known that would cause this during the minting process. Unless it happened during the upset milling, which I am not sure it did, I am going to say this happened after it left the mint.  

There’s nothing indicating this got stuck in a machine and damaged. I think there would be some wear on the edges or even the devices being worn down. The edge is smooth and the wording takes a little curve up it. The obverse is normal depth I see on all them. The reverse has been struck a little deeper. it’s also thicker then a normal nickel. I’ll measure it tomorrow when I have the tool to do so. 

FCC41AF0-DA11-492C-932B-3DC21D8CDD86.jpeg

6BFED7E1-058D-49F2-8C1D-B3F8D1FD9800.jpeg

Edited by Keith Dee

On 11/7/2021 at 11:42 PM, Keith Dee said:

the wording takes a little curve up it.

Unfortunately, this would lend more credence to something that happened after it left the mint.  If there is any curvature to any of the wording or devices then it definitely did not happen during the strike.  

On 11/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, Keith Dee said:

Not sure if the rim can be seen in these pics

Just one other polite observation- If you are referring to the outer smooth part of your coin, this is called the edge, not the rim. (thumbsu

If this is a mint error, which I don't think it is, you should be able to find it on this very comprehensive website:

error-ref.com

On 11/7/2021 at 11:47 PM, GBrad said:

Unfortunately, this would lend more credence to something that happened after it left the mint.  If there is any curvature to any of the wording or devices then it definitely did not happen during the strike.  

Then it definitely must of been struck deeper on the reverse then the obverse right? Otherwise how would anything after that machine or otherwise been able to fold the metal inward? I can’t see the edges being grounded down either that would mean there would of been a hell of a boarder between the wording and the very edge. I guess it’s one of them things we’ll never know and is what makes these oddities worth holding on to👍

On 11/7/2021 at 11:50 PM, GBrad said:

Just one other polite observation- If you are referring to the outer smooth part of your coin, this is called the edge, not the rim. (thumbsu

Regardless you knew what I was talking about right?👍

On 11/7/2021 at 11:55 PM, Keith Dee said:

I guess it’s one of them things we’ll never know and is what makes these oddities worth holding on to👍

I agree. Nothing wrong with holding onto things like this.

I’ll know more once I measure the thickness.It’s definitely taller then another nickel I put beside it. And to my knowledge metal doesn’t swell and I’m still thinking I’d see a little more damage other then the reverse being tapered inward. Some kind of scratches or unevenness around the edge.

Edited by Keith Dee

On 11/8/2021 at 12:00 AM, powermad5000 said:

Also, the chat board once again has gone x-rated.....rim job......:roflmao:

That was my point of the wording. Was to put a little dirty humor into this place🤣 It wouldn’t of been funny saying nice edge job.

Ok just a question and maybe I’m not thinking right on this. If it’s thicker and say a machine pushed the top of the edge inward or even outward like that then wouldn’t it lose thickness? Even with that done to this one it’s still noticeably taller then any other nickel I put next to it. I can rub my finger across the both of them a feel the difference. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:17 AM, Keith Dee said:

Ok just a question and maybe I’m not thinking right on this. If it’s thicker and say a machine pushed the top of the edge inward or even outward like that then wouldn’t it lose thickness? Even with that done to this one it’s still noticeably taller then any other nickel I put next to it. I can rub my finger across the both of them a feel the difference. 

If a machine pushed it inwards then that is the extra thickness you are feeling, it wouldn't lose thickness but gain it on the outer perimeter of the coin. If it is taller than another Nickel then the metal has been pushed inward.  

The edge has been altered. Much like a spooned coin, except instead of the entire edge being affected it is just one side and done on an angle.  It appears thicker and deeper on that side because the edge has been flattened and somewhat folded over.  The lettering following the inside curve of the area is absolute proof of post mint damage.  How could a flat die strike in a curved arc?  It could not, hence, it was struck normally first, then altered afterwards.  Maybe only the person who did it could say how it was done, it is an odd one, but nothing in the minting process could account for it.

It was damaged or machined after it left the mint

If it can't be explained as coming from the minting process, it can't be an error.  When Planchets are struck, the metal expands slightly to fill the collar. The collar can't be beveled or the coin wouldn't eject (and probably wouldn't fit in the first place).  

Don't spend your time on proving/disproving how the damage occurred.   Spend your time developing a plausible explanation of how it could occur during the minting process.

I was just going to say basically the same thing as Oldhoopster. Do not treat it as an error first, treat it as damage and then see if there is anything that would warrant it being an error. As there is no way that could happen during the striking of the coin, the alternative is PMD.

You may never find out exactly how it happened unless you were there but it doesn’t really matter, damage is damage.

Edited by Greenstang

I'm with Hog, Greenstang, Hoopster, GBrad, JP and Powermad.....definitely a damaged coin and not an error.  I think someone was trying to use it for a jewelry piece and it ended up back in circulation somehow.

On 11/8/2021 at 7:04 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Don't spend your time on proving/disproving how the damage occurred.   Spend your time developing a plausible explanation of how it could occur during the minting process.

Not sure what you mean by that I’m not spending any time on providing/disproving anything other then it’s different from the rest of the nickels and it’s neat looking on how it was done. The fact someone or something bent the metal inward without leaving any other damage is baffling and neat as well. I’ve never been to the mints to see the process to develop a plausible explanation to this nor did I claim it happened there. When I say the coin is thicker it’s not arguing that it was made this way at the mint and no where else. I’m just explaining the coin is thicker and leaves me with questions to how it got thicker. People keep worthless sh-t and I’m not immune from doing that either. I’ll keep her and not because I believe it was made that way by the mint.

On 11/8/2021 at 11:11 AM, Mohawk said:

I'm with Hog, Greenstang, Hoopster, GBrad, JP and Powermad.....definitely a damaged coin and not an error.  I think someone was trying to use it for a jewelry piece and it ended up back in circulation somehow.

And that sounds a lot more plausible to me. That’s exactly my thought last night was that someone tried making it into a ring but didn’t finish. They would have to know their metals and have the right tools to do this. Thanks for that answer. I’m still baffled on the growth thing though😂 

On 11/8/2021 at 5:49 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Looks like a dryer coin that was not done yet, I say put it back in for 40 minuets on high heat permanent press and see if you can get it all to come out even.lol

I sure would like to know what laundry mat you go to that there machines take nickels🤣

On 11/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, Keith Dee said:

I sure would like to know what laundry mat you go to that there machines take nickels🤣

They fall out of people pants pockets and get inside the machines when they do their laundry. Im all the time finding change in my washer and dryer at home. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

They fall out of people pants pockets and get inside the machines when they do their laundry. Im all the time finding change in my washer and dryer at home. 

This exactly.  I've found nickels, dimes and cents in machines at the Laundromat from peoples' pockets.  My dad even found a Sacagawea dollar in a Laundromat washer once!!! A lot of people aren't good about checking their pockets before they load their clothes into machines at the Laundromat.  

On 11/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Oh ok I read that wrong😉 Still wouldn’t mind knowing. The people around here are stingy with their loose change🤣

On 11/8/2021 at 12:39 PM, Mohawk said:

My dad even found a Sacagawea dollar

That's neat.  I just found an old coin purse I got years ago from Northeast Coin and there were six Sac Dollars in Mylar flips.  I believe I got them years ago in a USPS Stamp Coin Machine.  Came out as change. 

Here are the results. This isn’t proving anything other then it’s thicker. I’ve  measured at least 10 to 15 other nickels and gotten 1.8 to 1.9 this one 2.2 all the time all the way around.

31977685-BB9B-4C19-BDC5-F9D0A2C82940.jpeg

272F1C83-5A43-44AC-B6AB-41575888CF4A.jpeg