• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan /Peace

36 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, Raygun99 said:

Are the new 2021 Morgan/Peace issue considered MS or PF:  Also do the Privy designations get assigned to the slab by default?

Hi Raygun!

This page should help you with all for your questions on the 2021 dollars:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/morgan-and-peace-dollar/

On 11/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, Raygun99 said:

Thanks for the link.  I have reviewed that page but I can't find anything regarding PF or MS  The order form ask to code them MS or PF?

Based on the photos of slabbed examples on the tab that led to that page, they say MS.  So, I'd say they're MS.

No problem, Raygun.  You're quite welcome.  Good luck!

Edited by Mohawk

Well, I paid a seller on EBay $118.00 for a 2021 Morgan Dollar Philadelphia Mint.  Now the seller paid the US Mint $85.00 + shipping costs and paid, shall we say, $14.00 shipping + insurance to me.  The most profit he/she made would come to about $15.00 + or -.  What do you want to bet I didn't get a MS 70?  Do you believe the seller took a peek before I got it?  The seller had 5 on sale at $103.00.  Down $15.00 from yesterday.  Does any one believe this may turn out to be a failure like the Old San Francisco Mint Dollar?  Entitled minds are saying maybe Proofs in 2022 and another run of the Morgans and Peace Dollars.  

On 11/8/2021 at 4:40 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Well, I paid a seller on EBay $118.00 for a 2021 Morgan Dollar Philadelphia Mint.  Now the seller paid the US Mint $85.00 + shipping costs and paid, shall we say, $14.00 shipping + insurance to me.  The most profit he/she made would come to about $15.00 + or -.  What do you want to bet I didn't get a MS 70?  Do you believe the seller took a peek before I got it?  The seller had 5 on sale at $103.00.  Down $15.00 from yesterday.  Does any one believe this may turn out to be a failure like the Old San Francisco Mint Dollar?  Entitled minds are saying maybe Proofs in 2022 and another run of the Morgans and Peace Dollars.  

I don't think the long term on these is looking good, Alex.  The prices seem to be crashing, which is something I thought would occur because it occurs with most modern U.S. Mint products.  I'll say this.  My fiancée collects Morgan and Peace Dollars and we talked about these.  Her stance was she's going to wait until at least 2022 to add them to her collection, if she ever does.  Her concern was overpaying for them and I think her stance is dead on.  Instead of going for one of the 2021 coins right now, she recently spent the money she would have used on one of the prettiest 1921-P Morgans I've ever seen.  I think she made the absolute right choice.

I also intend to wait until all the hype is washed down river. I bought a BU type 2 2021 ASE for $38 just to keep my ASE collection up to date and that is all for now on any new stuff for me. As far as I am concerned the new coins are Bullion no more no less. Unlike a older Morgan or a Peace dollar which was currency and $85 is to much to even pay the mint IMOA the only reason is because they are a limited amount. When the dealers that forked out all that money cant move them then the sales will start and we can all get a  $300 coin for $90 

On 11/8/2021 at 7:51 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I also intend to wait until all the hype is washed down river. I bought a BU type 2 2021 ASE for $38 just to keep my ASE collection up to date and that is all for now on any new stuff for me. As far as I am concerned the new coins are Bullion no more no less. Unlike a older Morgan or a Peace dollar which was currency and $85 is to much to even pay the mint IMOA the only reason is because they are a limited amount. When the dealers that forked out all that money cant move them then the sales will start and we can all get a  $300 coin for $90 

I think that's a good plan JP.  I think they'll be a lot more reasonable once we're past the hype phase, for sure.  I may even get one of the Peaces myself if the price comes down enough.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  But I can guarantee you this....I won't buy one of those damned privy marked ones even if the price came down to just a dollar on them.  I despise those fake mintmarks.  

And just when all you super collectors felt you were going to have that 'Once in a Lifetime' the US Mint comes out with a surprise.  "Stunning"?  More junk in 2022.

jf8z3gxq2o5q.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, Alex in PA. said:

And just when all you super collectors felt you were going to have that 'Once in a Lifetime' the US Mint comes out with a surprise.  "Stunning"?  More junk in 2022.

jf8z3gxq2o5q.jpg

Agreed.  More junk.  And here come the proofs, the reverse proofs, enhanced finishes.  How long before they issue a special edition gold peace or Morgan dollar. 

On 11/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

How long before they issue a special edition gold peace or Morgan dollar. 

I would be willing to bet good money they are discussing that idea.  I would go back to the US Mint, after decades of being away, if they would just fix their web site.  

Go over to EBay and run the 2021 Morgan Dollar, NGC Graded, and marvel at how many were less that MS 70 and MS 69.  This isn't 1921 and we have the technology to produce high quality coins.  When they sell a better struck bullion round on Etsy than we can buy at the US Mint - something is wrong.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:35 AM, Alex in PA. said:

jf8z3gxq2o5q.jpg

:whatthe: I knew it!! I freaking knew it!!! Give the U.S. Mint a cash cow and they'll milk it to death!!!! Now, it's really going to get stupid.  And what does this mean for Morgan and Peace dollar collectors?  Are those series current again?  This is ridiculous.  I hope that this is just the last of the Ryder nonsense and that it doesn't come to fruition, but it probably will, sadly.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Agreed.  More junk.  And here come the proofs, the reverse proofs, enhanced finishes.  How long before they issue a special edition gold peace or Morgan dollar. 

If this actually goes forward, it won't be long at all, I'm afraid.   I wouldn't be surprised if such nonsense popped up next year at some point.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:04 AM, Mohawk said:

Give the U.S. Mint a cash cow and they'll milk it to death!!!!

You are so right.  The 2021 Morgans and the 2021 Peace Dollars were 'teasers'.  If enough interest is shown - then let's run with it.  Going to be just like the Quarters.  It's just so sad.  So many people had their hearts set on this being of supreme quality and a 'Once in a Lifetime' experience.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, Alex in PA. said:

So many people had their hearts set on this being of supreme quality and a 'Once in a Lifetime' experience.

I don't think the U.S. Mint knows how to provide such things anymore.  Either that, or they just don't care to.  I think that they don't understand that if someone buys a 2021-S Morgan Dollar one year as a once in a lifetime experience, that the same person may see a 2022 "CC" Enhanced Reverse Proof Morgan Dollar as a piece of blatant cash grab garbage that diminishes the importance of their original purchase.  If the U.S. Mint thinks it can make a buck, it'll do anything and sell anything.  I thought that mindset may depart with Ryder, but it doesn't appear to be doing so.  They should just go ahead and make Gene Simmons the Mint Director.  If anyone knows how to come up with and peddle massive mountains of goofy merchandise that make no sense at all, it's Gene Simmons.  After all, he is the man behind the Kiss coffin, Kiss teddy bears, Kiss toilet paper and Kiss condoms.  The U.S. Mint would be perfect for him.  And, he could go to the major shows and do this at his table filled with 2022 "O" 24K Gold Peace Dollars with his Kiss makeup design on Lady Liberty which also glow in the dark and play "I Love It Loud" if you press the button on the side of the case.  There's a face you can trust to sell you quality!

Gene Simmons in 2018.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, 124Spider said:

I guess the only good thing if the Mint beats these poor modern "dollars" to death will be that it might prop up the prices of the 2021 versions!

It's possible that may happen, Mark.  It's hard to say what will happen.  I think a lot of it depends on how stupid the U.S. Mint gets with the silver dollars going forward.  If they keep it relatively sane, there may be a positive impact on the 2021 versions but if they go to Gene Simmons land, there could be a backlash against the whole program, which should end in 2021 without question.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how things develop.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, Mohawk said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see how things develop.

Nationally known Coin Dealer asked $145.00 for the CC and less for the D, S and P.  Prices on EBay going down every day.  

2021 Morgan O = $99.00 and Free Shipping.  

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Nationally known Coin Dealer asked $145.00 for the CC and less for the D, S and P.  Prices on EBay going down every day.  

2021 Morgan O = $99.00 and Free Shipping.  

Man, it's not looking good for them right now, is it Alex?  Do you happen to know what that dealer is asking for the Peace?  From what I've seen, the Peace seems to be doing a little better than the Morgans.  

On 11/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, Raygun99 said:

Are the new 2021 Morgan/Peace issue considered MS or PF:  Also do the Privy designations get assigned to the slab by default?

The NCLT imitations are "uncirculated" surface. "Proofs" will have mirror-like fields and frosted relief (or the reverse of that).

On 11/9/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mohawk said:

Do you happen to know what that dealer is asking for the Peace?

He didn't have any Peace Dollars at this time.  I will keep checking.

Also, Raygun99 - there are NO Proof 2021 Morgan or Peace Dollars minted 'this year'.  Check in the 2022 run.

On 11/9/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mohawk said:

Do you happen to know what that dealer is asking for the Peace? 

EBay right now:  2021 Peace Dollar is $129.95 or Best Offer with Free Shipping.  Seller has 846 Positives and 0 Negs.  I am surprised at how low they are selling for.  Perhaps it's that streak of blue paint people were finding on theirs.