• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey michael! Today was toning day at the coin show!

16 posts in this topic

I went to the coin show in Tacoma today, and it was a lot bigger than I expected! So I decided to look for some interesting coins at random, not anything for a set, just nice looking coins. So I found this Merc-obverse Merc Reverse in a MS-65 ANACS holder with really nice toning and it was cheap so I bought it. Then I saw this really pretty Franklin obverse Franklin reverse that had a lovely crescent of toning on the obverse. Finally I found this Kennedy Obverse Kennedy Reverse in a bargain bin! It seems to have some interesting album toning, but it was pretty cheap!

jtryka,

Looks like you were real busy!

I have a local coin show coming up in two weeks that I am really looking forward to. I hope to pick up some nice coins also. I'll let you know if I do and post the pics..

John

I use to go all the time in the late 70`s-mid 80`s. It`s been a long time. My friend has a table near the front door. Vince Bloom from Fairchester Numismatics. I got back to collecting in 1998 and maybe I`ll go this year.

I have been going for years. It's a pretty good show. I am usually able to find a couple of nice coins I need at almost every show.

I have a couple of dealers I always check out first, been dealing with them a long time at the show and they have given me some really good deals

wink.gif

John

wow jtry all the coins you posted are great! wild

i really love the franklin it is rreally i mean really super exceptionally eye appealling

the kennedy also

it just goes to show you that no matter all the [!@#%^&^] going on in coins and also [!@#%^&^] on other boards coins is still fuun and there is always another day filled with new and fun discoveries with coins

wow this thread is waht coins is all about!

no more threads about coins unless they are like this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also can you let me have/adopt that franklin? and the kennedy? for the approprate adoption fee? i will care for it good

sincerely michael

Well, if you want adopt the Kennedy, I think it can be arranged. As for the Franklin, the more I look at it, the more I really like it! I think I might submit it with my first NGC submission in a few weeks. I think that crescent of toning would look so nice with a white background! It may not grade very highly (the grade on the holder when I bought it was MS-64, and I think that's about right) but it's one that I think would be worth submitting (who knows, they might even give it a star! tongue.gif ). Did you see my 1810 bust half thread? That one has some pretty toning too. I think I must have been thinking of you the whole time at the show today! grin.gif

I've never been all that good at grading Franklins, though in putting my set together I did learn how to judge bell lines! That's one of those coins that would look great in the holder regardless of the number at the top. In fact, I usually see Franklins with really ugly toning in my opinion, but this one is so remarkably different that even I like it!

Now THAT is one of those rare Franklins where I really appreciate the toning!!!! Thanks for sharing that, you made my night!

Hi RWW,

Yes, it was raw when I bought it. As for the tone, I do not know for sure but I believe it may be from spending a long time in an album. I say this because the tone is dark blue fading into green around the rims than red fading into gold, all getting lighter as it moves toward the center of the coin.

Also since the tone is on both sides of the coin, I do not think it would come from being the last coin in a roll.

As for how much I paid for it, believe it or not... I won it on eBay in a no reserve auction for $50 grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif