• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US 1804 Silver Dollar .999 Proof Restrike in capsule. 1oz

13 posts in this topic

Greetings, Brand New here. I purchased a copy of 1804 US Silver Dollar. I received it yesterday and I'm a bit confused as to its origins and composition. Here is the ad for coin:
"Beautiful Proof-Like Replica of the famous RARE 1804 US Silver Dollar, with the word COPY on the eagles' breast. In sealed hard plastic capsule. Reeded edge, with the notation .999 Fine Silver. and I think Maybe a serial number I can't make out. Gorgeous luster in Real Life,
1.3 ounces (38 grams) including the capsule. 15 known copies of the original."

Also strange is it has a reeded edge on half of it, then its smooth with the text: " .999 Fine Silver  CA  01368"

I don't know if I need to return it or What. I did a google search and could only find one match for a coin that looks like this. 1804 Class I Silver Dollar Replica Archival Edition  look here 
Any thoughts? Worth keeping?

Thanks,

Mike

1804 copy coin obverse.jpg

1804 copy coin reverse.jpg

20211106_123544.jpg

20211106_123428.jpg

20211106_123451.jpg

20211106_123434.jpg

20211106_123419.jpg

I believe what you have is a Dexter restrike dollar coin . It is , of course a copy and is not silver but silver plated. These are selling for around $100 but IMHO not worth anywhere near that.

sorry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1804-US-Liberty-Dexter-Dollar-Silver-Plated-Coin-/254903615326?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Hello and welcome,

I guess I don't understand why there is a question, or exactly what your question is, about this medal. It's a copy of "The King of Coins", there are tons of these out their made and sold by many different entities. I think the description of the medal is accurate. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

It's a legal imitation of a very rare US coin. Its minimum value is 1.3 ounces of 0.999 fine silver (pure).

Some collectors like these, some don't. They have limited collector value. The ones in your "American Mint" link are steel, not silver and worthless.

Edited by RWB

On 11/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Hello and welcome,

I guess I don't understand why there is a question, or exactly what your question is, about this medal. It's a copy of "The King of Coins", there are tons of these out their made and sold by many different entities. I think the description of the medal is accurate. 

Thanks for your input. I guess I thought Id be getting  a bullion coin of .999 silver. My mistake.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, RWB said:

It's a legal imitation of a very rare US coin. Its minimum value is 1.3 ounces of 0.999 fine silver (pure).

Some collectors like these, some don't. They have limited collector value. The ones in your "American Mint" link are steel, not silver and worthless.

Thank you for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, RWB said:

Thank you, Yeah my hope would be that its solid silver or at least plated. For as much as I paid for it, I hope. Otherwise a learning experience for me lol.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:33 AM, Piratemike said:

Yeah my hope would be that its solid silver or at least plated

Hello Piratemike.  I'm not familiar with these replicas as are the others that have commented. In your opening description you commented it weighed 1.3 grams, with the capsule.  Best way to determine if it is actually 'pure' silver, and not silver plated or steel, is to weigh just this token/medallion itself on a calibrated scale that reads out in at least tenths of a gram.  Just thought I would add this so that you can make a better determination of what the metal composition actually is.  

Edited by GBrad
My stupid mistake.... I know this is NOT a coin and I referred to it as a coin. It is a token or medallion, my apologies for the incorrect designation.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:29 AM, Piratemike said:

Thanks for your input. I guess I thought Id be getting  a bullion coin of .999 silver. My mistake.

How do you know it's not .999 silver? I'm inclined to think it is., but a coin it is not. My guess is that it's a one ounce silver round.

If the edge imprint says ".999 Fine Silver" and no qualifier such as "plated" then it should be silver. If not, complain to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). There are laws prohibiting false marking of precious metals.