• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shined up nickel
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I spotted this in a roll. I thought by the shin it was something important lol. It’s just a 1964 D someone polished up. I’m just wondering how or what they used. It’s obviously been circulated by the fact there isn’t any details left in Monticello. It’s got a mirror like shine that I’ve never seen before even on a new nickel. Has anyone cleaned or polished a nickel before to achieve this kind of shine. I know it’s not a thing especially if you’re a collector but  I’m thinking its been buffed down because I can see just hint of copper on Monticello itself.

5DD280CC-204A-4DEA-A03D-4EEB65202B26.jpeg

B5EE90CB-73BF-4788-B8E5-3119D5ADFF58.jpeg

9DCD131F-C758-4D13-A1EC-3ED02C3E7A82.jpeg

Hard to say exactly how it got polished. It could have been buffed, some sort of silver polish or even dipping. Unless you were there at the time, you may never know exactly what happened.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, Greenstang said:

Hard to say exactly how it got polished. It could have been buffed, some sort of silver polish or even dipping. Unless you were there at the time, you may never know exactly what happened.

Yeah probably not lol or why a 1964 D at that. My guess is someone sold it on eBay as a nice shiny uncirculated piece to a sucker who recirculated it. I don’t believe it was plated even though I know nothing about plating any thing I’m just assuming if it was then the copper wouldn’t be showing. I wish people would just leave sh-t alone and stop getting us coin roll hunters all hyped up thinking we found the holy grail of coins🤣

Edited by Keith Dee

The US 5-cent coin ("nickel") is composed of an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel. There is no free copper or layering of the metals, so polishing or cutting the coin will not show copper metal - merely discoloration.