No new discovery. Nevermind.
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Hello all. I sent some coins to Joe for imaging and got some back and noticed something on one of the coins. 1952 D Jefferson Nickel. Now I’m not a variety hunter but this looks to me like a possible D/D RPM. So…I immediately looked at varietyplus here on the NGC website and see nothing for the year 1952. I asked Joe to take a look and see what he thought about it, since he is way more knowledgeable about coins than I am. He thinks he sees the same thing and he has the coin in hand. These are the only pics I have at the moment, but he is going to take a few more close up shots of the mintmark. He is also posting this question ATS to see what they think. I am going to check some of the other websites for this RPM. See what you guys think.

61D56DCD-0AF9-48EE-B251-C4B42B58DBD8.jpeg

30297A3A-FDD6-470B-B597-2E17ECAAED28.jpeg

8BB7C71A-51A8-4160-996E-38DEBAE9AA75.jpeg

Edited by Lem E
Wishful thinking.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, J P Mashoke said:

It sure looks like a D over D

Im not getting my hopes up too high yet. I’m still searching for another. Sure looks like one though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Lem E. I do not believe this is 003.  Your mint mark is rotated counterclockwise too much in relation to 003 and it appears to be too close to the base of the Monument compared to 003.  My first impression is that this is a result of die deterioration due to the flow lines evident around the MM even though your Jefferson is beautiful, I love it!!!  The base of the monument directly below the MM and the bottoms of C and A of AMERICA also look to have 'secondary' images as well.  I believe this is DDD.  Just MHO here. 

Edited by GBrad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, GBrad said:

@Lem E. I do not believe this is 003.  Your mint mark is rotated counterclockwise too much in relation to 003 and it appears to be too close to the base of the Monument compared to 003.  My first impression is that this is a result of die deterioration due to the flow lines evident around the MM even though your Jefferson is beautiful, I love it!!!  The base of the monument directly below the MM and the bottoms of C and A of AMERICA also look to have 'secondary' images as well.  I believe this is DDD.  Just MHO here. 

Yea I think I am another statistic of the monster that is DDD. I got a headache from looking at all the pics and trying to find markers and this little scratch and this little chip and so on. I had to take a break after about an hour. I don’t know how you error and variety people do it, and my hat is off to you all. Its just not my cup of tea and tonight proved it. Sure fooled me, but I apparently couldn’t tell you a doubled die or machine doubling from a hole in the ground. I appreciate the feedback @GBrad. I’ll let you guys have this stuff. I’m sticking to my regular coins xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sure had me fooled my friend. It sure enough looks like one. Im not good at stuff like that neither. That little spot inside the D is what had me fooled. Looks like an RPM but im not good at spotting them either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It sure had me fooled my friend. It sure enough looks like one. Im not good at stuff like that neither. That little spot inside the D is what had me fooled. Looks like an RPM but im not good at spotting them either. 

Hey Hoghead! Hope you've been doing well. Yeah, those little spots inside a MM can get you every time.  It is one of two things.  Either a broken post on the die (the little teeny weenie tiny little thing that creates the center of the D) or either in this case, I believe, DDD.  It is hard to tell sometimes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:18 PM, Lem E said:

Yea I think I am another statistic of the monster that is DDD

No statistic here @Lem E.  You had a VERY valid question here and one that made me, and I'm sure others, take a second look.  I wish it was an RPM for you but I just don't unfortunately see it as that.  No worries, I would have thought the same thing at first glance on this one.  It looked like a real possibility.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, Lem E said:

I have a QDR Nickel that is on the LABEL that TELLS me that it is a QDR and for the life of me I cant see 4 on anything.

Please PM me with pics.  I would love to see it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:26 PM, GBrad said:

Hey Hoghead! Hope you've been doing well. 

I been doing great my friend. Been working quite a bit. Dreaming about owning some of these lovely coins ive seen on here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I been doing great my friend. Been working quite a bit. Dreaming about owning some of these lovely coins ive seen on here. 

I hear ya!  Me too!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 9:47 PM, GBrad said:

While all of the devices on the reverse are affected, To me, I have always seen the lower half of the reverse to have the most prominent doubling.  

I agree. I see a little on cents too. Here’s another for ya. Now this one I can see.61AC4D7F-5BEA-463F-9C9E-589061C26AC7.thumb.jpeg.6c1369a73b9a754532b56ed2fa4a84da.jpeg0EBB5151-F521-44D5-89F3-7A686FC988FA.thumb.jpeg.1134151881a22446f07ea7435a8e37c2.jpegD63C23BD-8FE1-46EF-BB6D-D964F7A245D6.thumb.jpeg.31709e9f466e3e5afb67e35f04a54d0a.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, GBrad said:

MONTICELLO, FIVE CENTS, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...... Are absolutely spot on.  Take a loupe and check out the separation in all of the letters.  I love it!

Oh I have looked at it quite a bit through a couple loupes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1