• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on toning
4 4

74 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 5:42 PM, Coinbuf said:

Some of the old holders were really good at imparting that rim toning, the ACG holders and the small white ANACS holders always seemed to have that rim tone.   Here are a couple of mine in those old holders that fit.   Notice on the ACG holder how the tone is heavier toward the label.

1879sdo-obv.jpg

1883sdo-obv2.jpg

Yes sir !!!! Those are very nice. Thats what i like to see. 

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of toning.

Specifically:

--I like red, red/brown, or brown copper coins; "brown" should be natural. 

--I have a bunch of plebeian Jefferson and buffalo nickels in mint state, and the older ones have toned nicely; not garish or overwhelming, just a slight change of color.  I like that.

--I vastly prefer blast white (if uncirculated) or normal patina (if circulated) silver coins.  I don't own anything minted between ancient Greece and 1878, so I have no opinion on how older silver should look.  I will admit that multi-toned Morgan dollars can be pleasing, if the toning covers the whole side in a reasonably continuous fashion, but I would always prefer no toning.

Mark

On 11/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, Lem E said:

I think everyone knows I like a nice toned coin. I like blasters too though.

D2B1542F-5512-4C89-ACDB-EE5C050C4D46.jpeg

On 11/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, Lem E said:

I think everyone knows I like a nice toned coin. I like blasters too though.

D2B1542F-5512-4C89-ACDB-EE5C050C4D46.jpeg

Very beautiful. I like rainbow toners like that. I dont like the ones that is overwhelming such as on alot of the Morgans. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:58 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Exactly. Ive seen some in ms67 that look plum awful. And see an ms 66 thats twice as attractive. I cant stand that. I got a couple im gonna replace some day after i get my set completed. Such as this one. Looks really bad to me. Polish_20211105_175805151.jpg.d5c4f5e65794bed9643d40c9651e2898.jpg

I think quarters are hard to find nicely toned. Yes they are out there, but finding one with good color on both sides is a bit tough.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Typically, blast white is what I'm looking for in anything post 1900 but I will make some exceptions for subtle toning, like your 48 or CB's 83-O. Those look nice to me and are not harsh or distract from the coin. Pre 1800 coppers I like a good glossy BN with some undertones of blue. Solid toning can be awesome, but again I prefer the colors to be lighter. Anything with electric rainbow toning, barf, I'll move on. 

I've been crushing on this one for the last few days. Sometimes toning can really add to the design of the coin, like this one, the darker colors (blue, yellow, brown) give a sense of the field and the red/red brown, sunlight.

1191532282_s-l1600(1).jpg.ca187e5228230d1b0692eb0b9e3afe1f.jpg

s-l1600.jpg.7ed59a1efaf88c0e65802a09ca85a4c6.jpg

I like that kind of toning very much on that coin. Really makes it attractive. 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Heres probably one of the ugliest coins i own. Its gonna get replaced in the near future. I should have never bought it. I was in a hurry. Trying to hurry and put that set together and just settled for it instead of waiting on a nicer example. Ive learned my lesson on doing that. Polish_20211105_181132811.jpg.8685c6e789cbcf4965846b0e3bb1ef9a.jpg

I would still rather have this than the black speckled ones.

I don't know if I am amenable to sharing my certified status 🤔 as King of the Dummies on this board with other members and pretenders to the throne much of my own making and to my eternal embarrassment!:makepoint:  doh! :facepalm: I had to actually go back to some notes I had jotted down nearly three years ago just to answer your simple question... let's see now... Toning...where does it fit in in the general scheme of things? Strike? Preservation?  Luster? Color? Eye appeal? 👁 I can only say I know it when I see it, but is it necessarily toning? Sometimes it's difficult to pin down. I secretly love iridescent, peripheral cobalt blue 💙 toning but am reluctant to state that publicly.  And I am a moody sort. 🙃 What I say I like today may not hold true for tomorrow, and I have been called out on my inconsistencies. We all like blast whites but only on certain coins. We all like strong strikes but not if they have occurred on coins of no interest to us. We tend to gravitate to different series for different reasons. I don't like the 2021 you-know-whats I haven't even seen, just the same as I wouldn't care for a silver SG or a Buffalo Head if it were copper or clad [or even a psychedelic Rooster].  And if I had it to do all over again I would probably continue repeating what I have always done: begin a series and upgrade continually.  But the air is thin in the upper stratosphere, and when the pickings get slim, I get bored but keep my antennae extended.

All of the factors you and our fellow members have cited, I myself find attractive. But if you asked me why I bought that old Venezuelan gold piece I could only tell you I wanted to see that horse on the reverse looking backwards up close and toning had nothing to do with it. My thirst was satiated; I moved on. Yours is a very honest and humble approach to collecting and people like that. Kudos to you and all the collectors out there 👏

I like toning as long as it's attractive. Not into the real dark stuff. Blast white is good also. I have to admit I like the way that silver eagles can tone with some pretty wild colors. End of roll toners on morgans always look good too.