• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on toning
4 4

74 posts in this topic

I’m late to the punch on this one, but to me toning adds an individuality and uniqueness to a coin that would otherwise look like every other coin out there. I like the various flavors of toning from the full rainbow of colors to golden rim toning to the crazy patterns of “end roll” toning. Halo, crescent, splotchy, I like them all. Toning speaks to how the coin has spent a majority of its life, telling the individual story of that particular coin and it’s journey from point “A” to point “B”.  The only thing I don’t like on toned coins are the fingerprints. I don’t want to think that someone else in the past has fondled my coin. 😆

On 11/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, Lem E said:

I think it is safe to say the we DO in fact know @rrantique s thoughts on toning. He likes it. He likes it very much.

Hes got some beautifully toned coins. There are several lovely toners. I was a little hasty when I started this thread. I looked at several very ugly toned coins on Ebay and a few other places. Most looked like AT and was overwhelming. 

On 11/27/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Hes got some beautifully toned coins. There are several lovely toners. I was a little hasty when I started this thread. I looked at several very ugly toned coins on Ebay and a few other places. Most looked like AT and was overwhelming. 

You quoted me before I could fix all of my spelling errors. xD

On 11/27/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Some are definitely better than others that for sure. In general I mean.

Edited by Lem E

On 11/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, Lem E said:

Pretty mild toning for me but I like it.1055481E-F7B3-4783-96A7-01C187A03532.thumb.jpeg.62442ac9eef70b8f4c02e358b81f229f.jpeg

This is tasteful toning. Some toning is gaudy and garish. Yours enhances it's look immeasurably. And the high grade earned enviable. Nice catch! 🐓 

On 12/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, Joydeep said:

I avoid toned coins as much as possible unless it is exceptionally beautiful. Then again the cliche "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" is very true.

I also am “not a fan” of deep brown to black toning, nor of wildly colored toning, even on bagged Morgans. I do appreciate more subtle tones. The rest you can keep.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, RWB said:

"Toning." A subjective description of the visual appearance of surface chemical reactions.

Pending a dispatch from the Great Zadok strongly suggesting otherwise re Yapanese sculpting, no coin is inviolate to toning.  The problem arises when it becomes difficult to distinguish natural from artificial toning. I suppose a coin featuring a psychedelic spiral or tie-dyed effect is an interesting or annoying novelty, and many coins appear to have had their natural toning further enhanced or artificially accelerated, but like most collectors of legitimate collectibles, I prefer coins with light toning much the way your average person is partial to scents with subdued floral notes or a woodsy bouquet. Just a delightful suggestive hint; never an overpowering display.   🐓 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Pending a dispatch from the Great Zadok strongly suggesting otherwise re Yapanese sculpting, no coin is inviolate to toning.  The problem arises when it becomes difficult to distinguish natural from artificial toning. I suppose a coin featuring a psychedelic spiral or tie-dyed effect is an interesting or annoying novelty, and many coins appear to have had their natural toning further enhanced or artificially accelerated, but like most collectors of legitimate collectibles, I prefer coins with light toning much the way your average person is partial to scents with subdued floral notes or a woodsy bouquet. Just a delightful suggestive hint; never an overpowering display.   🐓 

Ever been to a tropical island? Yap is a tropical island. Yap stones are prone to toning. Black slime. The ultimate state of ALL toning. Toning is corrosion. All of it is.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Ever been to a tropical island? Yap is a tropical island. Yap stones are prone to toning. Black slime. The ultimate state of ALL toning. Toning is corrosion. All of it is.

I stand corrected. The one and only one I ever saw in the Chase Money Museum, I believe, was in Mint State 63 😉 condition.