What triggered me into my coin venture?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Exactly,,,, I think I finally clicked, I never told you all why I started my collection.

I'm sure everyone knew my 1978 D LMC didn't trigger my new found hobby at my age.

Correct :) a simple coin didn't trigger anything within, cause I'd been here sooner.

So here is the item that started it all.

Thanks all,,, anyways just figured I'd show some of what I think is a somehow connected Templar Cross :) just thought I'd share.

Edited by SlickCoins

Is that the only pic? I don’t know much about relics but is there any identifying marks that tell the year or who made it? It does look like a Templar cross but I’d have to assume it would of had to belong to the Templars to have any meaning. Like I said I don’t know anything about relics my questions are just more curiosity then anything.

That cross is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen in my entire life and I have watched vultures eat live and in person.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, Mohawk said:

That cross is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen in my entire life and I have watched vultures eat live and in person.

A bunch of little cast brass figures nailed to a painted piece of wood. Is it supposed to be a mystical representation of "the crucifixion" put together in 7th grade wood shop class? Nothing points to the Knights Templar or anything from the period c. 1119 – c. 1312 when the group was active. (Until they got roasted for some religious festival or other...) It's not even a cross pattée...or even a hamburger pattée (with tomato, onions, lettuce on a toasted bun.)

On 11/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, RWB said:

A bunch of little cast brass figures nailed to a painted piece of wood. Is it supposed to be a mystical representation of "the crucifixion" put together in 7th grade wood shop class? Nothing points to the Knights Templar or anything from the period c. 1119 – c. 1312 when the group was active. (Until they got roasted for some religious festival or other...) It's not even a cross pattée...or even a hamburger pattée (with tomato, onions, lettuce on a toasted bun.)

Right I was thinking the same of the things nailed on it. Would the nail heads be squared for that time period? Plus the wood looks like it’s newly stained. Nothing on that thing looks like it’s a hundred years old let alone hundreds.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, RWB said:

My guess is that it is some hideous piece of cheap c*ap from the 1970s at the earliest that came from some catalog that sells cheap, ugly, Christian themed c*ap for exorbitant prices to people like my mother-in-law, who is a Catholic zealot with Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  Yeah......she's a real barrel of fun, let me tell you.  She spends what is likely thousands of dollars a year on things just like that cross....I don't know how my father-in-law stands it.  I certainly couldn't.  I'm thinking that cross probably came from a Goodwill and cost a dollar at best.  Which is exactly one hundred cents more than it is worth.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/2/2021 at 9:09 PM, Keith Dee said:

Unless you uncovered that thing from Oak Island I don’t believe it😂

He uncovered it at a Goodwill.  I don't know if Oak Island has a Goodwill......

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/2/2021 at 10:10 PM, Oldhoopster said:

So what do you really think of your mother-in-law?  :roflmao:

I am not well known for my abilities to either hide my feelings nor lie.  I'm a very bad poker player, as you can imagine :wink:  Though her NPD diagnosis isn't a feeling....it's a pure fact.

Edited by Mohawk

Truth time lol my gf said 7th grader also and since I'm already the edge against myself in all this, that is why I pulled the pictures yesterday lol busted.

This was an edited part,,,, also I'm not saying anyone is wrong,,,, also at the end I said blasphemous,,, which I can't make those kinds of calls therefore I redact the blasphemous statement in its entirety,,,, end edit

Hmmm 7th grade maybe, these brass decals you talk about, good luck finding one. (Why corn?)

The nails hmmm none of them match, like each nail is hand made<<<Oak Island much>>>, except one or two it looks like silver color or new and well not the same, others all have rust on the nail head good luck with that one.

The router looking edge, hmmm which the original coin guy looked for one second and said it's fake machine made.

Funny I've checked all woodworking bits and nothing matches.

The decals, the men have those one wrap hats on, making the decals most likely foreign.

The history of this cross is not exciting at all at least for now, My family is Roman Catholic and therefore this cross could never hang on a wall,,, lol I wonder why,,,, maybe a sword threw the heart maybe the scorpions, maybe the cats or turkey and or the cow regardless of whatever it may be, it's borderline blasphemous.

Into the box it goes, My grandfather traveled the world to visit strange places and meet other Catholics,,, they all knew that he liked the weird crosses and he received this one as a gift.

Anyways rambling, it's been in a box for years.

Thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins

On 11/2/2021 at 11:46 PM, Keith Dee said:

There you go, there’s your first buyer of your relic🤣 Sounds like a person who’d really believe the Templar story.

You're dead on there Keith. She'd buy it. Tack that Templar BS onto it and a price tag that says $499.99 or something like that and ol' Slicky would have a sale.

On 11/3/2021 at 1:09 PM, SlickCoins said:

Lol 🤣 Mohawk,,,

Also why have the scorpions getting ready to attack an artifact as the Shroud of Turin?

Also the locks represent some kind of artifact in my opinion.

Fyi this is a Roman Orthodox cross in my opinion.

Thanks all :)

You should make a catalog, put that hideous piece of thrift shop bait in it with a $500 price tag, print that Templar BS and the BS about the scorpions and the locks below the picture of that monstrosity and send it to my mother-in-law.  You'd probably have a sale, much to the dismay of my poor father-in-law.  You could buy a lot of fake coins with $500, Slick......think about it.

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/3/2021 at 1:09 PM, SlickCoins said:

Fyi this is a Roman Orthodox cross in my opinion.

What the heck is "Roman Orthodox" ? Is that an orthodontist who travels door-to-door? Possibly a new flavor of salad dressing made with Sardinian casu martzu cheese for romaine lettuce?

[Maybe he meant "Greek Orthodox, or Russian Orthodox or Ukrainian Orthodox," etc.....?]

The only one it comes close to matching is the Roman cross,,,, in my opinion

You're all right Roman Orthodox I kinda made up 😂 I guess we are paying attention, also I wanna redact all nails are rusted except those two,,, seems it might've been repaired or something only some are super rusted and look hand made, also the strange places well I kinda overstepped cause I haven't been to those places.

I'm glad we're finally getting it, after all it's just an item :)

Sure I've got questions,,, about a bunch of things,,, who knows if I'll find answers or just more questions than I began with.

Thanks all

Edited by SlickCoins

On 11/3/2021 at 3:08 PM, Morpheus1967 said:

This is Roman.  He is an Ortho Doc. 

image.thumb.png.d6d1a331ac4c28b7b28ff826cd8e7aeb.png

That.....is simply the best reply to any of ol' Slicky's posts that has ever occurred.  You won the Internet today, Morpheus :golfclap:

Yes Morpheus, been a long time :)

Yes it was a good one, looks like a great doctor also :)

Yeah I didn't figure I'd get any new answers versus when I actually brought it to a coin guy, who said he knew about Templar crosses.

Anyways that's that.

Thanks all