• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scaled comparison photos of 1921 and 2021 Peace dollars.
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2021 at 8:42 PM, 124Spider said:

Where's Waldo?

The rays coming up from the tail of the eagle are different.

I noticed that, too, Mark.  The U.S. Mint appears to have flubbed up and put the 1922 Low Relief with the attached branch reverse style on the 2021 Peace, not the 1921 reverse style, at least based on the rays below the tail.  But at least it doesn't really detract horribly from the aesthetics of the coin unlike my "favorite" things of 2021, those damned "CC" and "O" privy marks on the Morgans.  I know, I know.....I keep going on and on about this, but those privy marks really bother me.

Edited by Mohawk

I noticed the ray coming off the D in dollar extends all the way to the body of the eagle on the new one. Rear claw got smaller and less detailed, and the mound/rock has been modified. My question would be is if that is strike weakness in the hair or is that how it is designed? Seems like a bit of a flat spot around ear and bangs. You would have thought they would try to improve that area on the new version since it was a problem on the older ones. Just a few observations.

As one of God only knows how many customers were FLEECED, but good, on these "authorized counterfeits" and not very good ones at that, I thank @RWB for the sneak preview.  I have not received my pair of Morgans -- and don't know if anyone else has -- but an unexplained credit turned up on my ATM receipt, in the exact amount I squandered on these "facsimilies" which suggests that in the months that have gone by, some sellers may have re-considered some of their unconcluded sales and decided to simply cancel my order in favor of an entity clamoring at the door with a marginally more significant bankroll in hand.

If not too much trouble I would appreciate hearing from my learned colleague (as well as others) ethics aside, as to whether this scenario is even possible.  If the spot price of silver were to drop precipitously, no problem for the seller. But what if it were to skyrocket? Then what?  Is the seller legally bound to honor the order?  [Note: irrespective of outcome, I am not now, nor will I ever become a U.S. Mint customer. To those with inside connections and juice: more power to you.]  🐓  

Modern die finishing is fine. It is the bloated inscriptions and date, lack of sharpness, and numerous unnecessary errors (esp on the reverse) that bother me the most. US Mint technology is capable of making reproductions that are almost indistinguishable from the original - yet here, again, they failed. Further, there can be no excuses about "die life" - the current 2021 production is tiny and dies are relatively cheap.

@RWB  Truer words have never been spoken. Have we learned nothing about the art of making coins in one hundred years?  I haven't even gotten mine and already I want my money back!  :makepoint:

Maybe so but you (and probably every other member within the sound of my voice) paid nowhere near the outrageous price I did.  However, out of an abiding regard for your prestigious standing on the forum and hobby at large, I will give you and anyone else who may be concerned a quick once-over before rendering my verdict on what may very well turn out to be my last indirect purchase from the U.S. Mint.   🐓 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, 124Spider said:

I got mine today, and (unlike with the Morgans), I actually like it!  It is very reminiscent of the look of my mint-state real Peace dollars.

Like the Morgans, I haven't seen a Peace in person yet, but I've seen the photos and I have to agree with you, Mark....the Peace Dollars are much better.  They have a pretty good look and are quite attractive.  The U.S. Mint definitely did a better job on the Peaces for sure.  

On 11/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, 124Spider said:

I got mine today, and (unlike with the Morgans), I actually like it!  It is very reminiscent of the look of my mint-state real Peace dollars.

Imaginary exchange...

Wife:  This isn't the original Kiehl's Musk Oil!

Husband:  No, it's not available anymore. It comes from an endangered species... But it is reminiscent of the real one...

Wife: (muttering under her breath) No. Not by a long shot. Sorry.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. Here it is, 2021, and in the age of light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, the best we can hope for is a reminder of the past. A replica. A facsimile. A reminder. Oh, and that'll be $85. please.

When the Morgans come, I will give my wife the honor...

When all is said and done on the initial distribution of these marvelous, state-of-the-art, "state-sanctioned counterfeits," I look forward to seeing where their Fair Market Value will settle.

I am painfully aware many of my more learned colleagues object to my use of that loaded characterization, but then they didn't pay 200x face, each, for the privylege of owning one of these silver look-alikes.  The old-timers will know exactly what I mean.

Note:  And if the two sellers who sold me these coins have since experienced misgivings and quietly cancelled and refunded my 💰 in the face of the clamoring scrum to own something newbies never got a chance to receive in everyday change for a more exorbitant price so be it. @RWB's collector service announcement,  accompanied by fine true-blue-views, will suffice.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:15 PM, Mohawk said:

I keep going on and on about this, but those privy marks really bother me.

Well you just keep on going.  ATS they seem to have discovered problems also.  Here are some comments:

just received a Morgan D in the mail from the US Mint this weekend. Upon inspection, it has what appears to be a punch marks or blow holes under the D in "United" and under the last A in "America" on the reverse side. I am new to coin collecting so I'm not really sure what the process is. Does this affect the value of the coin? Should I be asking for a return/replacement?

I think they are minor strike thru errors. Apparently quite a few of these coins have problems. Some posted here have larger strike thrus as well.

t's a shame to pay all that money for these things and have a bunch of them turning out with worthless strike thrus that are more of a distraction than they are of value.

I cannot determine what may have caused those two 'indents'...the one on the left (as viewed) also appears to have a gouge attached, while the right one is clean. Strange... and on a new coin like this...

Has anyone seen blue paint? On the Peace dollars?  Had picture to show it)

The Peace dollars are attractive. I’m happy with them. The question now is, will this be a continuing series? From the hints I’ve read - probably. Will I start collecting the new series - don’t know. I’ll have to shoot a 1921-2021 comparison pic.too bad my 1921 is slabbed. 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:42 PM, 124Spider said:

Where's Waldo?

The rays coming up from the tail of the eagle are different.

I counted 6 rays under the tail on the 2021 and 7 under the tail on the 1921. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

One constrict of the U. S. Mint's modern coins is that they all must have sharply defined and uniform rims, and this feature contrasts dramatically with the the 1921 edition.

It's pretty clear that they created a whole new galvano for this coin, and made lot of small modifications. Overall I'm surprised it is as close as it is to the 1921. I wonder if the original galvano actually exists? I'd bet the later low relief one does, but do we know the high relief one is still around?

On 11/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, rmpsrpms said:

Overall I'm surprised it is as close as it is to the 1921

Yes!  And I do love the addition of a Nose Ring for Ms Peace

h4lkkfdcn1bc.jpg

The original iron cast is shown in the comparison photos -- it's the one with a faint "#8" on it. There was never a galvano (electrotype of a model).

The Mint no longer makes galvanos. They prepare everything in a computer rendering, and the system cuts working dies from the rendering. At times they have entered photos of an original, then prepared the rendering from those.

Considering the technology available, it is a very poor translation.

Edited by RWB

On 11/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, Alex in PA. said:

And I do love the addition of a Nose Ring for Ms Peace

Liberty's schnoz is merely one of many failures in reproduction and artistic quality.