• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with an ancient coin.
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I need some assistance on this particular Coin for a friend of my fathers while metal detecting. the obverse you can see the details, however the reverse is hard to make out.

Weight:3.5g

Width:15mm

diameter:2mm

IMG_5010.jpg

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

On 10/30/2021 at 3:00 PM, GoldBear150 said:

I will have to retake pictures with better lighting JKK.

You might have to experiment with all that graphics stuff, anti-aliasing, brightness/contrast, pro-aliasing for all I know. Whatever will make the details a little more evident.

Sorry to say I don't recognize it even in general terms. The dots around the rim are characteristic of some Afghan coins, but I don't see anything I can use to determine timeframe or region beyond that.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, JKK said:

Sorry to say I don't recognize it even in general terms. The dots around the rim are characteristic of some Afghan coins, but I don't see anything I can use to determine timeframe or region beyond that.

Just an observation here @GoldBear150, but where exactly was this found while metal detecting?  I'm going to throw this out there.  Could this possibly be a button off of a uniform? Is this thing flat like a coin or does it have any type or resemblance of a domed shape to it? Thanks.

On 10/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, GBrad said:

Just an observation here @GoldBear150, but where exactly was this found while metal detecting?  I'm going to throw this out there.  Could this possibly be a button off of a uniform? Is this thing flat like a coin or does it have any type or resemblance of a domed shape to it? Thanks.

Hey GBrad.In Europe as far i know from what my father has told me. the coin does have a dome shaped. I'm still researching.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:12 PM, GoldBear150 said:

Hey GBrad.In Europe as far i know from what my father has told me. the coin does have a dome shaped. I'm still researching.

I photoshopped your picture.  I know this "object" has a lot of crustiness on it, which makes it that much more difficult to examine, but to me the area I circled appears to be an eyelet that may have been smashed down and over onto its side and is now laying flat on the surface and this side of the object appears concave due to the look of the outer ring.  The other side of this object looks to me to be slightly rounded, or convex/domed, from your pics and the way the light is reflecting off of it.  If I had to guess, I would venture to say this may be some type of button and not a coin.  Just my thoughts here.  

1528917976_IMG_5023(2).jpg.cfdc1470742016e8b54e9191ab969ffa.jpg

Also @GoldBear150, could you also see if it is attracted to a magnet?  This may be helpful in determining what you have here.  

Edited by GBrad
I now see the weight and measurements in the opening post...... oops :)

On 10/30/2021 at 4:28 PM, GBrad said:

Also @GoldBear150, do you have a way to measure the diameter and weigh it?  And could you also see if it is attracted to a magnet?  This may be helpful in determining what you have here.  

I tried the magnet test and it does not follow or stick to the magnet.

The weight is 3.5g

Diameter:2mm

On 10/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, GoldBear150 said:

The weight is 3.5g

Thanks.  I edited my last reply because I just saw where you had posted the weight and measurements....lol.  I think you meant to say the thickness is 2mm and the diameter is 15mm?

On 10/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, GBrad said:

Thanks.  I edited my last reply because I just saw where you had posted the weight and measurements....lol.  I think you meant to say the thickness is 2mm and the diameter is 15mm?

Yes thank you correcting me. The thickness is 2mm and the diameter is 15mm.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, GoldBear150 said:

The weight is 3.5g

Here's what I'm thinking.  If you have measured this thing correctly and this thing is only 15mm across from side to side (diameter) which is pretty darn small (smaller than a $5 Gold Eagle bullion coin) and it weighs 3.5 grams which is slightly heavier than a $5 Gold Eagle which would weigh in at 3.39 grams, and it is not attracted to a magnet........ my guess is that it may very well made of a precious metal.  Don't get your hopes up, these are just my observations.  I am not an ancient or a foreign coin knowledgeable person by any means. But, I do not know of any foreign coins that are typically this small granted your measurements are accurate.  @JKK would be the one who knows about any foreign coins in this size range, not me. I'm still leaning toward this being a small button of some type.  Which kind, if it is a button, is beyond me.   

Edited by GBrad

On 10/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, GBrad said:

Here's what I'm thinking.  If you have measured this thing correctly and this thing is only 15mm across from side to side (diameter) which is pretty darn small (smaller than a $5 Gold Eagle bullion coin) and it weighs 3.5 grams which is slightly heavier than a $5 Gold Eagle which would weigh in at 3.39 grams, and it is not attracted to a magnet........ my guess is that it may very well made of a precious metal.  Don't get your hopes up, these are just my observations.  I am not an ancient or a foreign coin knowledgeable person by any means. But, I do not know of any foreign coins that are typically this small granted your measurements are accurate.  @JKK would be the one who knows about any foreign coins in this size range, not me. I'm still leaning toward this being a small button of some type.  Which kind, if it is a button, is beyond me.   

Thank you GBrad I still appreciate your thoughts on this it could be a small object such as a button. After taking a look at the reverse side there are three letters i could be wrong. "A","V" and maybe a "P"?

On 10/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, GoldBear150 said:

Thank you GBrad I still appreciate your thoughts on this it could be a small object such as a button. After taking a look at the reverse side there are three letters i could be wrong. "A","V" and maybe a "P"?

You're welcome.  Best of luck with ultimately determining what you have here.  Please let us know if you come to a conclusion.  

On 10/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, GBrad said:

You're welcome.  Best of luck with ultimately determining what you have here.  Please let us know if you come to a conclusion.  

Sure GBrad i will keep an update on my findings.

-Gus

On 10/30/2021 at 5:04 PM, GBrad said:

After taking a look at the coin GBrad. I could not find any matching on the coin or button in this case. it's difficult to say the least.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, GoldBear150 said:

After taking a look at the coin GBrad. I could not find any matching on the coin or button in this case. it's difficult to say the least.

Hello Gus. I just went back and read some of this thread and have one question.  You said it weighs 3.5g  Are you referring to grains or grams? 

On 12/7/2021 at 7:09 AM, GBrad said:

Hello Gus. I just went back and read some of this thread and have one question.  You said it weighs 3.5g  Are you referring to grains or grams? 

Hello Gbrad it's grams.