• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan and Peace Dollar Grades and Values

8 posts in this topic

I'm so sorry for all the questions! I'm very new collecting and I don't want to spend the money to get it graded by NGC when I've got all you people who are way more experienced than I am. Anyways, what would y'all say these two coins grade and value are? These are my two favorite coins.

Morgan Dollar Front.JPG

Morgan Dollar Obverse.JPG

Peace Dollar Front.JPG

Peace Dollar Obverse.JPG

It is difficult to grade from photos and even harder when the coins are tilted, try to take your photos with the coin dead flat to the lens and with the correct white balance when possible.  The Morgan grades VF imo, however I cannot tell from these photos if there is any cleaning or other issues which could result in a details grade on both coins.   1887-O is not a difficult date to find through mid MS grades and is worth $30-$40 depending on the price of silver.

The 1924 Peace dollar grades AU58 or AU55 imo, also very common and this one has some splotchy black toning (especially on the rev) which for me is not eye appealing.   Same value as the Morgan $30-$40.   Neither is worth the cost to have slabbed from a strict financial standpoint as they are worth $60 (combined) as is and worth maybe $70 after you spend $70 to have them graded and slabbed.

Sorry wish the news was better but both of these are very common and in these levels of preservation their value is mostly tied to the silver content value

Alright, hoping for better news. I got most of my coins from my grandfather, he got me into collecting. He also gave me this one, kind of promising in my eyes. It's a little dusty though. I'm the first one to open the case it was in, NEVER touched it.

Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar.JPG

VF-20 for the 87-O. Maybe VF-30 for the 24 Peace, just possibly might eke out EF-40; thinking the edge dings will prevent that. 76-S, only obverse is shown, grading impossible. Showing one side of a coin and asking for a grade is...not a good idea.

Educated guesses: 

EF40 for the Morgan; AU58 or MS60 for the Peace.  It's impossible to say whether something has happened to the Morgan, or if that's normal toning.  The Peace is pretty crudded up, which does not help its appeal (but don't clean it).

The Kennedy half looks like a proof, but I can't tell whether it's the clad proof or the silver proof.  Nice coin either way, but not valuable.  You probably should put it back in its case.

Mark

Your Kennedy Half is a Silver Proof.  Based on your pics, I would say it is a normal Proof and not a Cameo. Either way, it would have to grade out at MS70, the highest grade to be achieved for any graded coin, to be worth anything. I highly doubt this would be the case based solely on the front (or obverse) of your coin.  I too would also suggest placing it back in its case from where it came.  (thumbsu