• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 Morgan & Peace Dollar Prices

10 posts in this topic

Maybe because I just have a year under my belt in terms of collecting but surprised to see companies like MCM now listing their Morgans/Peace dollars in the OGP for $199 +/-.  I was expecting them to only list them as graded in NGC or PCGS holders like they do most new coins.  In OGP I would have expected a lower price.  Wow is that high for an upgraded coin but then I heard the US Mint's authorized retailers had to pay a 10% fee so guess with that and knowing the demand they gotcha.  I thought it was just those on Ebay back in the summer asking bizarre prices.  Only seen graded sets for these 2021's listed with MCM and GovMint so far so wondering what an individual graded MS69 or MS70 will be selling for.  

On a personal note, of all of them the "CC" and "O" should be worth the least due to the fact that those mints don't even exist anymore and were produced in Philadelphia.  Fakes to me.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, MN1 said:

On a personal note, of all of them the "CC" and "O" should be worth the least due to the fact that those mints don't even exist anymore and were produced in Philadelphia.  Fakes to me.

Well they are privys, not mint marks.  

I'm not saying that MCM is doing this (I don't know), but I know one large dealer had a deal where they would send in thousands of modern commems and only those that graded 70 would be certified and the ones that would be graded lower were returned in their mint capsules. 

So that's why no one is getting there coins yet . There waiting for the dealers to send the rejects back so they can ship them to the collectors who have been waiting.  

On 10/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, J P Mashoke said:

So that's why no one is getting there coins yet . There waiting for the dealers to send the rejects back so they can ship them to the collectors who have been waiting.  

Now that’s a discouraging thought!

Not to sound like a hypocrite but...I did buy 3 of the 2021 Morgans and a Peace dollar.  Just not the "CC" or "O".  Received the Morgans already.

As for what the big companies/authorized retailers do who knows??  I do see some sell the empty US Mint cases.  Surely after buying from customers and separating the coin for maximum profit.  Same with early CC GSA Morgans and selling off the COA and boxes separately.   I have one of those too but a common year 1882-CC that my grandfather purchased in the 1970's.   If or when the day comes when I decide to part with it I would sell it complete.  Just seems wrong to break it up.  I wouldn't want to buy one that way.  I see so many on Ebay and Great Collections and know the COA is not original.  The CC GSA that only says "Silver Dollar" and not "Uncirculated" on the front should not have a serial # on the COA.  

I cannot imagine that the Mint would go to the huge hassle of sending out thousands of coins to dealers, and then taking them back, collating them, and sending them to the mere mortals.  I doubt very much even that the Mint in any way "presorts" the coins going to the volume buyers for quality.

Numismyth -- "All coins with privy marks were struck in West Virginia."

This is false. There is no US Mint in West Virginia.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:23 AM, RWB said:

Numismyth -- "All coins with privy marks were struck in West Virginia."

This is false. There is no US Mint in West Virginia.

Lots of radio telescopes though.